Looking for a simple multitrack playback device

ChristThePhone

Fractal Fanatic
Every now and then I need to run a backing track to replace band mates that cannot make it to the rehearsal. So far I've been messing around with a laptop running a DAW but what I'd love to see is a small portable device that I can connect to an USB audio interface, a few buttons to select the tracks I want to play, to select the song and to start/stop the song. No FX, no time stretching, just simple playback. This little thingy should be able to work with MP3 or WAV files I export from my DAW at home. I looked around on the net but couldn't find anything that is
  1. small and portable,
  2. affordable (<500$),
  3. able to playback multiple tracks, and
  4. easy to use.
I had the Boss BR800 which would have been cool if it had real buttons.

Any ideas ?

maybe not... I see you prefer real buttons... Which is the big drawback here...
I have the R16 and it is pretty slick... but requires lots of clicks and navigation just to change simple eq settings...
So... maybe not...

I don't understand why you'd need more than stereo out.

On top of that- it seems useless if someone doesn't show up to practice to temporarily replace them with tracks.

Just practice without them, or don't practice at all?

Here's three options depending on what your needs are:

1) iPad playback via the free app Prime from Loop Community (http://loopcommunity.com/prime)
- It's geared to the worship community, but should do what you need if you have an iPad. You'll need some extra hardware to support multi track out (USB audio interface),but it is supported. The app is also free and you can upload whatever multi track audio you need to (unlimited free cloud storage)

2) Laptop with Waves Tracks Live (http://www.waves.com/mixers-racks/tracks-live#presenting-tracks-live)
- Yeah, I know... it's not the small portable solution you want, but it's stable and does work really well. It's based on the open source DAW Ardour and is free from Waves (unless you want to pay for support, which I don't think you'll need). It's purpose built for basically what you're looking to do as long as you can get audio into it.

3) NemoSyn NDrive (http://nemosyn.com/nemosyn-ndrive/)
- Not sure this will work for your application, but if you use a Behringer X32 (or Midas M32) it should be amazing. It's $100 more than your budget, but wouldn't require the USB interface and is extremely portable. I haven't tried one yet (we don't have an X32/M32), but it certainly looks like a killer piece of gear for you application (and virtual sound-checks).

I don't have a dog in the fight for any of these products, just had gooed experiences with the first two and want to try the third one. Hope this is helpful!
John

Last edited:
I'm guessing you want multiple audio outs because of a click track? I know this is only stereo, but just use an iPod and do clicks on right, mono band mix on left. If you're rehearsing with a less-than-full lineup anyway, a mono mix is a reasonable compromise just for that rehearsal, IMHO. Just export a few versions of each song. One to replace Bob, one to replace Jim, one to replace both Jim and Bob, etc.

If you must have multiple outs, a laptop DAW plus a portable USB audio interface are probably the most simple solution. I don't even know if there exists a self-contained, standalone playback device that will output more than L/R.

Yes, I want the click track plus the other instruments as stereo tracks. Looking at the price tag it's probably the best idea to try to go with two mono signals. We're an amateur band playing for fun as time allows with day jobs and families so we're trying to do our best but in average the full band will show up on half of the rehearsal sessions. Thanks for the feedback.

I have an AKAI DR4D 4 track recorder, in the box.
Also a 1 gb SCSI drive and cable.
Great shape, (Disney ran there's 18 hours a day) in some of their rides and shows.
Make me an offer..Google it.
i.html

I have an AKAI DR4D 4 track recorder, in the box.
Also a 1 gb SCSI drive and cable.
Great shape, (Disney ran there's 18 hours a day) in some of their rides and shows.
Make me an offer..Google it.
i.html

Thanks. 19" is not exactly what I would call portable and certainly not worth it shipping overseas ;)

Yes, I want the click track plus the other instruments as stereo tracks. Looking at the price tag it's probably the best idea to try to go with two mono signals. We're an amateur band playing for fun as time allows with day jobs and families so we're trying to do our best but in average the full band will show up on half of the rehearsal sessions. Thanks for the feedback.

I would program in a hi hat or simple percussion loop instead of a click and just use a stereo mix. So much easier and cheaper.

The cheapest way to do multitrack output is using a digital mixer connected to a computer. But that is neither portable or not real cheap either.

I know exactly what you are trying to do and I did it easily but I had a specific set of gear and software. I have Logic on my home iMac and also on my MacBook. My MacBook is used to provide a stereo backing track, into X32, into PA, via Showbuddy software, for our hybrid band however all audio originates in Logic. So I keep a copy of the Logic project on my iMac at home and MacBook.

We recorded all parts of these songs so we would have a released version. So during rehearsal I just turn on or off the track needed in the Logic project. Singer can't make it, unmute the vocal track. If I'm practicing my guitar part at home I just mute my recorded tracks and jam to keep my parts tight. Using Logic works especially great because I can loop a lead part, for example, and rehearse it 100 times. Kick butt setup for me but like I said I already had all the stuff.

You mention the BR800 would have been right if it had buttons, so what about the older BR600? It does only have 8 tracks tho (plus 1 extra for the midi drums).

perhaps a sound module and midi sequencer would get close
The Old Alesis S4 Quadrasynth has some killer Drum and Bass. Nice pads and horns too.
Just a thought.

How about Cymatic LP 16. Its made for this, and not too expensive.

Edit: my phone cannot copy links, what the hell

That's pretty close to what I was dreaming of. I guess I could live with a studio multicore running from the box to the mixer. The only real drawback is that it doesn't allow to change the position within the song but only to go to the next/previous song.

Back
Top Bottom