Looking for a rack bag in the EU? Your search could be over...

fox5150

Inspired
I've spent ages researching just about everything there was to research before finally ordering the Axe-FX last week (seems my timing was spot on too!), but one thing that I didn't really bother with was how I was going to rack it. I'd just assumed that either I could use one of my old racks or pick up a new one relatively easily that fits the bill. How wrong was I!

I'd previously eschewed the idea of another rack bag as my last one fell apart and I switched to an ABS rack. One of my goals with my Axe-FX setup is to make it as light and transportable as possible, so I thought I'd try a rack bag again. There are a few threads on here about suitable rack bags, but I felt that only one of the models was ideal and it's not available in the EU!! Anyway, buried in one of these threads was a comment from Yek and I paid attention - in my short time on the forum, I've found it's a good idea to pay attention to Yek :D Knowing he's in the EU too, I followed his link and ended up looking at one of these Millenium Rack Bag. As it was pretty inexpensive, I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Having racked the Axe-FX and the Matrix GT1000FX, I can honestly say that this could have been designed for us Axe-FX owners. Firstly, the rack rails are recessed:

IMG_1033_zpsff11be82.jpg

So there's not much chance of anything damaging the front of the Axe-FX. I'm not sure if it's clear in the pic, but the "handles" (if that's what you call them) on the front of the unit are actually behind the front edge of the rack bag.

Next up, there's plenty of room at the back so you can keep your cables plugged in without fear of damaging anything:

IMG_1032_zps34f52d49.jpg

Now, this one might just be the best bit. For all of you that use patch panels or rack mount wireless units, there is room to route a cable from the rear of the unit to the front input on the Axe-FX without modification. Hopefully, this has come out in the pic:

IMG_1030_zps8108e9a9.jpg

You should be able to make out a gap in the top right of the pic. Perfect for running an instrument cable through. Only caveat is that you have to mount the Axe-FX either in the top slot, or the bottom slot.

This one's a first for me, but rather than the usual arrangements with the front and rear flaps, they don't fold down, they fold round to the side and then are velcroed in place:

IMG_1033_zps77f8dbbb.jpg

It's little touches like this that make me think some thought went into its design.

Not everything, however, can be perfect and this is no exception. The only drawback that I can see so far is that you can't remove the shoulder strap. Well, you can, but it would be a rather permanent removal.

So there you go. If you're looking for a rack bag that's a good match for the Axe-FX, and you're in the EU, check out the Millenium Rack Bag from Thomann.

I use it too. 4 space (Axe, GT1000fx, Vafam breakout box).
Because of the breakout box I don't even have to open the backside.

As a matter of fact I use two. In the other rackbag I store my MFC, exp.pedal and cables.

sounds interesting.....what is the shell made of? is it wood or metal? or is it just fabric? how heavy is it? (sorry for all the questions but I was thinking of buying a travel case)

Looked at this a while back, interested in knowing the weight also, I have a gator bag at present but if this is lighter then I might switch over.

Cheers for the review.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

It's the usual fabric over wood affair, with a metal rack to mount the rack units into. As I've now got everything racked in it, I'd rather not take it out again and I can't see anything on Thomann's website for the weight. If you like, I can weigh it with the Axe-FX and the Matrix GT1000FX in it?

Those were pretty cheap! Are they water resistant? I do like the one I have from Warwick though.

I own two Warwicks. The are the best looking rack bags I've seen. However, zippers tabs broke on both and ripped on one. I switched to an SKB plastic rack.

I have a similar 4U rackbag... not using it anymore:

• broken zippers due to stress on the edges
  • fixed rack rails incompatible with any gear thats not 100% 19" standard heigh-units (1,75") compatible
  • 5mm screws instead of 6mm - not because one really needs 6mm but 5mm are just too uncomon, so a nuisance to have them around
  • no rear rack rails

Be prepared to replace the 'rivets' that hold the padding to the wood with real rivets at some stage ..... they break easily. Other than that I've no major concerns with mine.

I still have some reservations about switching back to using a rack bag with its robustness being top of that list. I've got my eyes well and truly on those screws as they do appear as if they could be a weak point, now I've had a look.

I'm just really trying to make this setup as portable as I can get it. I've got a 4U Boschma ABS rack that isn't that heavy, but it's bloody cumbersome and awkward to move. Plus it's got my G system and pedals in it right now and I don't want to take that apart until I'm ready to unleash the Axe-FX live ;)

Be prepared to replace the 'rivets' that hold the padding to the wood with real rivets at some stage ..... they break easily. Other than that I've no major concerns with mine.

I had this problem also. Trazan, it is not water resistant.

I'm thinking about getting one of these and having it shipped to the states. Do you still recommend it?

I'm thinking about getting one of these and having it shipped to the states. Do you still recommend it?

I do, yes, but for the price it costs, it must cost about the same as that to have it shipped. Is there nothing similar in the states?

Everything I can find is only 13.5 inches deep. I have looked for custom builders and have not had any luck. I did the conversion and it looks like it will only cost about $70 US including shipping, not to bad.

I didn't like that bag. It wasn't really good quality and it annoyed me so much that i couldn't unmount the front and back cover completely

Everything I can find is only 13.5 inches deep. I have looked for custom builders and have not had any luck. I did the conversion and it looks like it will only cost about $70 US including shipping, not to bad.

I am thinking of switching from ATA to a rack bag -- been looking at this one

Looks deep enough(20 inches) to keep everything connected using the VaFam breakout box

Staggmusic - Products

13732.jpg

I've got that Rack Bag - and I'm not too happy with it. Here's why:

-Due to constuction you will brake the zipper sooner than later: Especially the zipper on the backside is prone to this because the whole weigth of the package sits in the zipper if put it down. Also, in all corners the zipper ist bent more than healthy... Everytime I (try to) open the lower latch I think: Maybe I should get me a new case and I fear that this may have been the last time I was able to open the latch. I try to avoid to open the latch as much as I can.
- I lost the "handles" for all zippers within days. They simply fell off. Now it is a pain in the a** to get those zippers around the corners an I ruined several fingernails. Not so nice right before a gig.
- The bag (or better say: the latches) are not waterproof. I always worry, if it's raining while loading, especially if I have to put it down on the street to open the car (plus I know that this will hurt the zipper- see above)
- I don't like the handles to carry the bag: Uncomfortable, hurt my hands
- I never youse the shoulder-strap: Guitar in one hand, Matrix Q12 in the other plus bag over shoulder is simply too much for me. You hit walls, corners, cars and collegues plus you look like a donkey. I think I'm better off to go twice.
- I think the pouch on top is a nice idea - but it is too small to put important things in. The plug of my axe's power cable stretches the fibre in a way that I don't like.
- It would be nice if there were rails on the the back to hold the axe more safely
- When closed, the velcro on the lower latch picks up all kinds of stuff as the back typically sits on the lower latch. So mine doesn't really holds the latch in position when opened.

What I like about that bag is
- it's pricing
- it is not too heavy
- you my leave all cables plugged in. There is enough space on the backside. But the latches are quite soft and I always worry that I might damage something if I put down the bag on a not-so-even floor. So I unplug everything (and think, it would be nice if the whole thing would have been e few centimtres less deep.)

Overall, I would not recommend it as a "good" solution. It is just better than not having anything to protect your Axe.

Back
Top Bottom