Looking for a Practice Amp Idea For Jams And Smaller Gigs

Retro Rick

Inspired
I'm looking for ideas on a practice amp, that works well with the AX8, I can't afford an FRFR. I think I actually prefer Solid state, something with an a effects return so I can bypass the amp color. I'm currently using an 80 watt Cube XL but it has no effects loop, so I run the AX8 through the clean channel with the treble turned down a bit. It sounds ok, but I'd like to do better. In the studio I use a good quality stereo PA, and it sounds great there. But for practices and smaller gigs, I'd like to find something Solid State, with enough power to play loud, but yet something I can carry without breaking my back. ie less than 50lbs. Any suggestions?

I would consider that pretty affordable compared to an AX8. Those get pretty good reviews on this forum. If you have more to spend you can get lighter and better than those but they should work pretty well.

I use a Roland JC-40. Clean, solid state, stereo amp with effects loop. Plenty loud and under 35 lbs. I use the effects loop and control the volume with the AX8.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland/JC-40-40W-2x10-Jazz-Chorus-Guitar-Combo-Amp.gc

And they recently came out with a JC-22 - smaller and less expensive, never heard one, but imagine it is ok as a small practice amp. But the JC-40 is LOUD, LIGHT, STEREO, and reads the AX8 quit nicely, and I am pretty happy with it. I can get delicious cleans and gnarley crunches and lead tones.

Maybe a keyboard amp or acoustic guitar amp of some kind (which as I understand are basically PAs) would be a reasonable alternative to the FRFRs marketed toward guitar modelers. Seems like they come a wide variety of power, size, and pricing options.

Last edited:
Depending on where you are check Craigslist for an Alto TS112 powered speaker. You can get used ones for below $200.00. Tech 21 power engine, Electro Harmonix 44, Crate Powerblock, Stealth ISP. These may do something for you.?

Last edited:
It's more expensive but I really like my Matrix FR12 (the smaller FR10 is said to be good, too). It's solid state, only about 20 lbs and FRFR. Think they are around $600. I use it for gigs and rehearsals and am happy enough with it that I won't be looking to spend on an upgrade later.

there are powered pa speakers way cheaper then you can buy a clean amp with any BALLS. You can start about $100.00 brand new, and go from there.

IwKnives has a great suggestion. I have a Seismic Audio floor monitor I bought used for $200 and it sounds great. I also own a CLR. I turn the bass and treble up a little on the Seismic and it's pretty close to the CLR.

I use a Roland JC-40. Clean, solid state, stereo amp with effects loop. Plenty loud and under 35 lbs. I use the effects loop and control the volume with the AX8.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland/JC-40-40W-2x10-Jazz-Chorus-Guitar-Combo-Amp.gc

And they recently came out with a JC-22 - smaller and less expensive, never heard one, but imagine it is ok as a small practice amp. But the JC-40 is LOUD, LIGHT, STEREO, and reads the AX8 quit nicely, and I am pretty happy with it. I can get delicious cleans and gnarley crunches and lead tones.
Thank you, I really like your suggestion, is it loud enough to play with a loud drummer?

Thank you, I really like your suggestion, is it loud enough to play with a loud drummer?

Yes, it is quite loud. I started with a little Roland KC-110 - which was kind of cool, but could not get very loud and does not have as much full bodied roundness as the JC-40.

While someday I may buy a high end FRFR powered monitor, I currently like the stereo option for very nice wet-dry-wet options using the stereo panning in the AX8. Also when using stereo cabs I can hard pan them left and right, then delay one of the cabs a bit and it creates many more tonal varieties.

Grab and go with one box rather than 2 independent FRFR monitors is nice.

The AX8 is such a great versatile tool. I can plug it direct into my little Fender Princeton RI and get some great mono tones as well.

Last edited:
I would consider that pretty affordable compared to an AX8. Those get pretty good reviews on this forum. If you have more to spend you can get lighter and better than those but they should work pretty well.
Hi, I've tried active PA speakers in the past with other effects processors, it was not that successful, I don't think those wedges are FRFR, are you using either of those?

s-l400.jpg

This sounds great with the AX8 and Bluetooth/jamtracks in my living room but probably isn't loud enough for band practice

FWIW - I recently bought a Roland Street EX. Can be run both on battery or AC and has 50 watts.
Still have yet to use it in a loud rehearsal as I use a pair of JBL EON610s for that. I wanted something small and portable and after a few jam sessions, it is surprisingly good.
It is FRFR and I use it in stereo as it has 2 - 8" woofers and a pair of tweeters. Also has a few inputs for other instruments. The guitar input is lame for amp modeling but I found it to be great plugging in the AX8 and my Digitech Trio+
Work in progress and will repost at a later date.

Maybe a keyboard amp or acoustic guitar amp of some kind (which I as I understand are basically PAs) would be a reasonable alternative to the FRFRs marketed toward guitar modelers. Seems like they come a wide variety of power, size, and pricing options.
I've used a Roland KC500 since the late 90s and it works great. Last year I decided to get a lighter alternative so I bought a Carvin AG300. The AG is about 40lbs lighter and has guitar-related features.

I've used a Behringer b212d with my AX-8 and had no problem getting a usable tone in a pretty big man cave. I paid $200 for it three or so years ago when I used it with my HD500.

If I were looking for a replacement on a budget to use in a modest size area, I would consider the Behringer B208d. I think you can get that for under $150 if you shop around. It's also lightweight which I think is a plus for a practice type setup you might want to move around on occasion.

(The b212d can easily keep up with a drummer. Not so sure about the 8" unit)

Hi, I've tried active PA speakers in the past with other effects processors, it was not that successful, I don't think those wedges are FRFR, are you using either of those?

Nothing will be perfectly FRFR but those will get close! Not as close as a CLR or XiTone but they will work great!
I use an EV elx115p which are like $600.00 I think. I am going off the general recommendation from folks on this forum. It's they are pretty much a budget CLR. If you can't make those work for you, you probably just don't like FRFR. That's what your audience will hear though.

Back
Top Bottom