Looking for a power amp

I was looking to pickup the usual recommendation on here of the matrix gt1000 fx but have noticed they’ve stopped selling them.

I wanted the 2u version as I want plenty of low end but it will spend the vast majority of its time at home so around only 80-85db to preserve my hearing.

my next idea is to go with the Seymour Duncan power stage 700 stereo option would be nice (in case I want to hook up my second cab)

am I right in thinking this would have a quiet fan?

id rather go new so I can try before I buy. Located in the Uk

I don’t really want a tube power amp - I don’t think the axefx 3 needs one and I’ve got plenty of valve amps.

I use 2 Ehx 44 Magnum pedal amps to drive 2 Mesa guitar cabs at home - they work great!
I also have Matrix GT1000fx currently driving 2 fr cabs. I often swap these amps around and honestly can't decide which sounds better where. Everything sounds good with the mighty Axefx!

The Matrix website says they have 2U GT1000's in stock.
View attachment 93575

That's on the US site unfortunately. Here (UK) they don't list the GT1000 anymore - I'm sure they used to list it on the UK site and ship from the UK. Now they only list the XT series. It's been a couple of years since I checked, hoping that I recall correctly - I may be getting my products confused.

I'm not buying from the US because it's already more expensive than the PS700 and if I then get hit for tax and admin fees it just gets silly for what it is :(

I will research the Magnum, thanks for the suggestion @sprint

I have a Rocktron Velocity 300 that sounds great with my Marshall 1960B 4x12. For some reason I read a lot of negative comments on this power amp but mine makes my FM3 sound more tube like than my tube amps. The secret for me is the Reactance knob. I keep it all the way up and it brings all the cranked amp goodness. These are very inexpensive too, used of course.

Last edited:
I have a Rocktron Velocity 300 that sounds great with my Marshall 1960B 4x12. For some reason I read a lot of negative comments on this power amp but mine makes my FM3 sound more tube like than my tube amps. The secret for me is the Reactance knob. I keep it all the way up and it brings all the cranked amp goodness. These are very inexpensive too used of course.
I had that too at one time - wish I would not have sold it as I would say it is a better solution than ehx - the ehx are suceptable to ground loop noise though mine are quite quiet now that I have everything going thru 1 power circut. I did like what the reactance knob did also.

Yeah it’s a bit odd. Thought I might have been looking in the wrong place.
just been looking at the power station 100 as well. That could be a good option but not sure I need the tubes or attenuation.

I have a Rocktron Velocity 300 that sounds great with my Marshall 1960B 4x12. For some reason I read a lot of negative comments on this power amp but mine makes my FM3 sound more tube like than my tube amps. The secret for me is the Reactance knob. I keep it all the way up and it brings all the cranked amp goodness. These are very inexpensive too, used of course.
I have one as well, it's currently busted due to a few fuses blowing but served well for many tours. I really like the ISP Stealth power amps as well, I wish they'd make a higher wattage alternative in the future. I recently picked up a used Matrix GT800 and digging it so far.

That's on the US site unfortunately. Here (UK) they don't list the GT1000 anymore - I'm sure they used to list it on the UK site and ship from the UK. Now they only list the XT series. It's been a couple of years since I checked, hoping that I recall correctly - I may be getting my products confused.

I'm not buying from the US because it's already more expensive than the PS700 and if I then get hit for tax and admin fees it just gets silly for what it is :(

I will research the Magnum, thanks for the suggestion @sprint
I think the company split in two at some point in the last few years, with the guitar side still headed by Andy, but moved to the USA. PA amps still in the U.K. and headed by Robin.

I got a gt1000 used recently (I am in the U.K.), looks like a fairly new model and it says made in the USA on the back.

Unfortunately to buy new in the U.K. now, I think you’d end up having to ship from the USA, and deal with international shipping costs, vat and whatever import duties might apply.

I don’t see a lot of talk about it, but check out the Orange Pedal Baby 100. I have a matrix that I keep at home, but I gig with the orange. I use it to drive an avatar 2x12 and couldn’t be happier.

Have also owned a powerstage 200, 700 and velocity 300. By far I prefer the orange to all of those options. I think the matrix is probably better overall, but throwing the orange and my fm9 in a keyboard case is a really easy rig to carry around that sounds stellar. Don’t let the 100 watts fool you, it gets crazy loud. I can’t comment on any fan noise, other than I can’t say I’ve noticed it. I’ll fire it up later today and report back with that.

I've got a Crown XLS, it's class D, so decently light. They come in various wattages, pretty sure mine is around 300. Affordable, and often on Ebay or craigslist.

I don't find there's a whole lot of difference between power amps, but I'd certainly recommend this one.

Duncan Power Stage 700 here. Sounds better than my Fryette 2/50/2 (with the axe fx 3) and weighs six or seven pounds. I laugh when I pick up my rack now it's so light.

just an odd $0.02c ..

There are any number of new and used rack PA amps and assorted hybrid bass amps (either fx return or aux in) that can cover this base for you.. so by all means be imaginative... not least is cos these can be at very attractive pricing..

I had angst for some time over an amp for a guitar "FRFR" and was gagging at $1k for a quiet 2u Matrix amp only to realize that I have a 200WPC 2U CLasse class D stereo amp and a 900W hybrid bass amp sitting in the basement...both of which are noiseless..

take a look around on CL and fleaBay..

Hmmm, I'm thinking now I will order more than one amp. Been reading a lot on here and there's certainly a lot of options in use by a lot of ppl.

I'm going to give the Fryette PS2 mk2 a shot (I don't need 100 watts and don't really have a use case for the second channel). PS2 is spoken of highly by a few well respected members and I can use it with my valve amps as an attenuator
I'm also going to order the power stage 700 too - I've seen some good demos of this and it looks convenient. SD make some solid gear.

Will read up on crown etc so there may be a 3rd one to try out as well

I have a GT1000 in 2u form factor. Sounds great but the fan is a bit obnoxious. I like my Fryette PS2 more but is unfortunately not stereo. Probably should have just bought two pPS2s and been done with it lol.

I have a GT1000 in 2u form factor. Sounds great but the fan is a bit obnoxious. I like my Fryette PS2 more but is unfortunately not stereo. Probably should have just bought two pPS2s and been done with it lol.
So the 2U GT1000 is loud as well? I read a ton of reviews of the 1U that the fan was very loud - but that the 2U was much more quite. Have been eying this and at 1600 (out of stock currently) so curious as to your experience.

I have a Matrix but I’ve also used my super light Quilter Tone Block 202 and I hear very little difference.

So the 2U GT1000 is loud as well? I read a ton of reviews of the 1U that the fan was very loud - but that the 2U was much more quite. Have been eying this and at 1600 (out of stock currently) so curious as to your experience.

I have no way to compare the two versions, but to me the 2U is very audible and annoying.

Back
Top Bottom