Looking for a Power Amp

frankenbeans

Experienced
I’ve been experimenting with the idea of getting a power amp to enable me to play my Axe through my Mesa 2x12. I’ve been using my Roadster’s power amp for a bit, but I’d rather switch to something “cleaner” to take advantage of the Axe’s power amp modeling.

So I have three ideas:

• An actual guitar amp (I was thinking of getting a Quilter and plugging into the Return)
  • A “made for guitar” power amp like the Seymour Duncan Power Stage or ISP Stealth
  • A “generic” power amp like a Crown or Matrix

For the sake of discussion, let’s say my budget maxed out at $700. And this is just for home use—I’m not on a stage or competing with a drummer.

I’ve read a lot of threads on this topic already and have gotten mixed feedback. The PS170 seems to get a lot of good press, but I’ve also read a bit on how the power rating is marketed in a slightly misleading way. The Quilter approach seemed to be the most polarizing (some really liked it, some did not). Admittedly, I like this approach because of its versatility though—it’s a power amp and a guitar amp in its own right.

I know the Matrix is very highly regarded around here, but I just don’t need that much power. So unless it’s just the clear winner on every aspect, it seems overkill. A Crown would fall into this same bucket, but those can be had cheaper it seems.

So I’m just looking for some general feedback. Is the Quilter an okay option, or would it be better to go with a more traditional approach? At that point, how do the “guitar” power amps differ from the “generic” power amps?

Thanks in advance for your help!

The PS170 should be perfect for you, especially when you're using it at home and maybe sometimes bedroom levels as you can compensate with the onboard EQ.

I’ve been experimenting with the idea of getting a power amp to enable me to play my Axe through my Mesa 2x12. I’ve been using my Roadster’s power amp for a bit, but I’d rather switch to something “cleaner” to take advantage of the Axe’s power amp modeling.

So I have three ideas:

• An actual guitar amp (I was thinking of getting a Quilter and plugging into the Return)
  • A “made for guitar” power amp like the Seymour Duncan Power Stage or ISP Stealth
  • A “generic” power amp like a Crown or Matrix

For the sake of discussion, let’s say my budget maxed out at $700. And this is just for home use—I’m not on a stage or competing with a drummer.

I’ve read a lot of threads on this topic already and have gotten mixed feedback. The PS170 seems to get a lot of good press, but I’ve also read a bit on how the power rating is marketed in a slightly misleading way. The Quilter approach seemed to be the most polarizing (some really liked it, some did not). Admittedly, I like this approach because of its versatility though—it’s a power amp and a guitar amp in its own right.

I know the Matrix is very highly regarded around here, but I just don’t need that much power. So unless it’s just the clear winner on every aspect, it seems overkill. A Crown would fall into this same bucket, but those can be had cheaper it seems.

So I’m just looking for some general feedback. Is the Quilter an okay option, or would it be better to go with a more traditional approach? At that point, how do the “guitar” power amps differ from the “generic” power amps?

Thanks in advance for your help!
I have had my Axe FX for about 3 months now. I have tried it with my VHT 2/50/2 and my Mesa 20/20, with power amp sims on and off. I found they did not work well with the Axe, colored to sound to much and added a sort of harmonic harshness to the tone. I also tried it with a spare crown power amp, forget model, think it was the 4202 or something like that. I did not care for that either. I decided to by the Matrix 1000FX 2 space model. I was really surprised at what it did to my tone. It let the Axe do its job without coloring the sound. I never thought I would say this, but I completely tubeless, the Axe with the Matrix sound and feel great together. I highly recommend the Organic Timbre speakers as well. Only complaint is I did not get the Matrix sooner.

I have had my Axe FX for about 3 months now. I have tried it with my VHT 2/50/2 and my Mesa 20/20, with power amp sims on and off. I found they did not work well with the Axe, colored to sound to much and added a sort of harmonic harshness to the tone. I also tried it with a spare crown power amp, forget model, think it was the 4202 or something like that. I did not care for that either. I decided to by the Matrix 1000FX 2 space model. I was really surprised at what it did to my tone. It let the Axe do its job without coloring the sound. I never thought I would say this, but I completely tubeless, the Axe with the Matrix sound and feel great together. I highly recommend the Organic Timbre speakers as well. Only complaint is I did not get the Matrix sooner.

Agreed. After using the Matrix amp, I don't miss my tube amps.

Back
Top Bottom