Looking for a mono tube power amp

Teleman

I've been using my Peavey Classic 50 head effects return to power my 2x12 cab. I love the sound I'm getting but tired of hauling a 40lb head and 65lb cab. I'm picking up an Avatar 1x12 cab tomorrow and I'm looking for a tube power amp. I do not want a rack mount. I've tried the 44 Magnum and a Peavey 6505 Piranha, I didn't like either. I've thought about the Quilter Tone Block but would prefer to have tubes. Does anyone know of a power amp that would fit my needs?

Thanks!

The Fryette Power Station.
+2.

I was just playing with it myself on my newly-aquired AX8 last night. In addition to performing as a superb tube power amp for the Fractal platform, you can also use it to:

- attenuate high-volume (or amplify lower-power) tube amps
- do silent recording of a tube amp
- add a post-power amp effects loop (ideal for time-based effects or for amps that have no loop)

You can also get a rack mount for it.

A very, very handy device.

Agreed on the Fryette Powerstation. Good prices on the used market.

They are not too heavy either...maybe 15lbs?

Last edited:
One 'warning' : for best results with the PS you need to neutralize Low and High Resonance in the Amp block. That's fine unless you need that same Amp block to feed FOH (with a Cab block) simultaneously.

One 'warning' : for best results with the PS you need to neutralize Low and High Resonance in the Amp block. That's fine unless you need that same Amp block to feed FOH (with a Cab block) simultaneously.

Yep. If you're on the Axe-FX (not the AX8) you can use a 2nd amp and cab block on the FOH shunt line. Also, set all switches set to "flat" and Presence and Depth knobs at 0 (fully counter-clockwise) on the PS for the most neutral response.

If you go used, try to look for the "II" model: it added the ability to do silent recording without using a "dummy" output jack, as well as switches for line out EQ and slow-taper volume (watch out for the last one… I thought mine was giving abnormally low volume for a 50-watt amp until I realized this control was engaged).

This looks like exactly what I'm looking for. However, the price will force me to wait a little longer. I never go direct to FOH as our PA isn't the best. I also prefer a cab on stage since our other guitarist is anti modeling and has his amp pushing really loud.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Just set Resonance at zero. No need to adjust the frequency.

If you leave them at default, you'll get early undesirable feedback. And hyped bottom and top end.

Back
Top Bottom