Looking for a little help/guidance with my Ibanez guitar

MicroMort

Inspired
I have an Ibanez Prestige RGR1570. This is the 2007 special 1570, with a reversed headstock and matte black finish.

The previous owner did some modding on it and basically cut out some of the pick guard and drilled through some places that I probably would have left stock.. no biggie though.

My issue is that I 100% LOVE this wizard neck and I 100% want to switch to a hardtail bridge. The tremelo just isn't for me. I have a tremel-NO installed and it still doesn't get me the stability that I'm looking for. I'm hesitant to do anything else to the body of this guitar because it will just look more Frankenstein than it already is.

SO, I'm looking to just buy another Ibanez that has a fixed bridge and swap the neck....or even just buy a body style that I can move the neck over to. Problem is I have no idea what will fit the bolt holes. My requirements are that it will hopefully be under 600$ or so because I don't want to be swapping around parts on an expensive (to me) axe. Also, I prefer a "less pointy" style guitar body. It seems like the Roadcore RC320 would be perfect but looking at the neck it doesn't look like mine would be compatible with the screws.

Any recommendations for a compatible guitar or body I can swap with?

I have no experience with this so any guidance would be super extremely appreciated!

NOTE: I would just sell mine and buy something else, but this guitar has already been drilled and modded so I don't feel so bad moving parts around. Also, I can't stress how much joy I get playing on this neck, I gotta keep it!

Last edited:
You might try Warmoth. They have lots of guitar bodies to choose from.

I got really excited checking out the website... but unfortunately:

The following brands are generally not compatible with Warmoth replacement bodies and necks:

• Epiphone
  • G & L
  • Gibson and other neck-through guitars
  • Ibanez
  • Jackson
  • Music Man
  • Paul Reed Smith

Cut a piece of wood to fit exactly in the spot between the body and the trem block in the back section, and glue it in. This will be visible to nobody. You will have a lot more trouble getting the neck route just right and all that lined up and fitting. IMHO.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unfinished...454913?hash=item25fc1b90c1:g:0TcAAOSwO1pbRN8~

I've built a couple guitars with his bodies and all the Japanese part fit perfectly. He has other styles that work with Ibanez parts, the satriani is my favorite but not listed, I'm sure he'd build you one. Yep, the wizard necks are amazing!

As @dpeterson recommends, I would just block the trem and tighten down the springs though.

He also sells pickguards and non locking nut replacements (iirc it was him on the nuts)

Blocking the trem is the best option for as closest to a hard bridge as you can get. I've used anything from metal blocks to coins, and it works a treat!

For the best all round stability whilst still being a to use the trem is the Super Vee mag lok - I LOVE that thing! Keeps your string in tune for great double stop bends, great tuning stability and you can even downtune ;)

The tremol-no is great but you have to remember to lock/unlock constantly and you have to be precise with the install or it will rub ever so slightly, which I learned the hard way

Nothing will beat getting a fixed bridge sound like a fixed bridge though.

Lots of personal experience here...

1. Your best/first bet is go to a luthier/tech/repair person and say 'block this' they'll glue a piece of wood for 20- the bar will go down but not up, you don't have to use it either way- you still have the locking nut and fine tuners, which I like.

2. I'd sell the guitar before swaping the body

3. You're in luck- Hard Tail Prestiges go used for NOTHING
You could pick one up used if you look hard enough for 250-350 easy-

I guess I just have to come to terms with the fact that the reverse headstock wizard neck from a $600 guitar isn't worth swapping the body out. I'm not super keen on the block idea because I prefer the FR tele body style.... I think I'll probably put it up for sale and let her go.

I appreciate all the responses.

Get an Ibanez RGA121. My bandmate has 4 of them and says they're his favorite guitar. I've played it and agree it's pretty awesome. It's a hardtail, and you get to have another wizard neck. By the way, the neck on yours I believe is the wizard prestige. There are many different versions of the wizard. The original wizard and super wizard necks came on the Japanese Ibanez models older than yours and are even thinner.

Sell the guitar and buy a fixed bridge RG. They are great. I've got a RG 652 with FX and its awesome. That will be way easier and cheaper than modding the heck out of it. Plus then any resale is out the window.

The Wizard neck profile will be pretty similar on most Japanese made RGs, at least they have been on the ones I've played. Don't get a Premium or lower model though, they have slightly thicker necks (unless that's your thing).

Back
Top Bottom