Looking for a good FRFR solution. Advice?

Xitone, Matrix FR212, or Atomic CLR?

• Total voters
I currently run a Matrix gt1000 into an orange 2x12. While I love the sound, I really want to take advantage of my IR's and use the Axe FX to its fullest potential. I'm looking for something that won't be heavy like my 70 lb orange cab that could still be used as a "cab" for smaller club shows or outdoor gigs when needed. I've looked into the Maxtrix FR212, the Xitone 1x12 wedge, and the Atomic CLR. Anyone have experience with these units? Would a CLR or Xitone work as a cab if needed, or would I be better off sticking to the FR2x12?

I'm a XiTone user, and love my 1x12 wedge. I've had both the passive and active (powered) versions of this wedge. If you are going to use the Matrix amp with a XiTone cab, you'll have fantastic results. One of the optional features that Mick (XiTone owner) offers is a switch that disables the FRFR circuitry, essentially turning the full-range wedge into a regular 1x12 guitar cabinet. That's super handy in case you want to use it with a traditional amp head, but also have the option of using your Matrix and driving the wedge as a FRFR monitor. Best of both worlds.

The wedge shape of the XiTone 1x12 makes it ideal for "monitor" placement onstage, but it also sounds great standing on end in a "cabinet" position. On some stages, I place the XiTone on end, atop its flight case. That puts it about in the right position for a backline amp cab. On larger stages, I always put the XiTone right in front of me as my monitor.

I've used my XiTone wedges on all kinds of stages as a touring musician, and they've been fantastic. I've also heard great things about the CLR and the Matrix FR212. I went with XiTone based on reviews, price point, and the great customer service I've gotten from Mick. FYI: I'm just regular customer, and don't get a discount or anything for the recommendation.

No one has ever complained about XiTone products in these pages AFAIK.
The others have had checkered histories here but many swear by them.
I like Mic Farlows attitude and approachability, nice to have a well priced great performer and know whose hands built it.

I'm a XiTone user, and love my 1x12 wedge. I've had both the passive and active (powered) versions of this wedge. If you are going to use the Matrix amp with a XiTone cab, you'll have fantastic results. One of the optional features that Mick (XiTone owner) offers is a switch that disables the FRFR circuitry, essentially turning the full-range wedge into a regular 1x12 guitar cabinet. That's super handy in case you want to use it with a traditional amp head, but also have the option of using your Matrix and driving the wedge as a FRFR monitor. Best of both worlds.

The wedge shape of the XiTone 1x12 makes it ideal for "monitor" placement onstage, but it also sounds great standing on end in a "cabinet" position. On some stages, I place the XiTone on end, atop its flight case. That puts it about in the right position for a backline amp cab. On larger stages, I always put the XiTone right in front of me as my monitor.

I've used my XiTone wedges on all kinds of stages as a touring musician, and they've been fantastic. I've also heard great things about the CLR and the Matrix FR212. I went with XiTone based on reviews, price point, and the great customer service I've gotten from Mick. FYI: I'm just regular customer, and don't get a discount or anything for the recommendation.

After reading this, I believe I'm going to go with the Xitone. Thanks for the help!

I can verify that Xitone makes an excellent product . Have 2 passive wedges and a Matrix GT1000 . You will not be disappointed .

I have a pair of CLR Neos (first generation). They have been great for me. Wide dispersion and very transparent. Presets dialed in on a CLR at stage volume translate well to FOH. But if you search this forum, some people have had bad luck with the first generation CLRs. Thus far I haven't heard anything bad about the current generation (Mk II), and people are generally more vocal when bad happens.

That being said, Xitone is on my future shopping list if I ever need/want more. It's rare to have a brand that has pretty much universally positive reviews in both product performance and customer service.

I have 2 powered Xitone's and 2 CLR's. Both are fantastic. I keep my CLR's at home to create my presets on. They are so flat they are perfect for this. But the XiTone's have a slightly more cab like quality to their sound which makes them perfect for gigging which is what I do with them. I had the XiTone's first. And while my presets sounded great the FOH guys were telling me they would roll off some highs that I wasn't hearing with the XiTone's. Once I got my CLR's though I could hear those highs in my presets and have since adjusted them and the sound guys now don't touch the EQ on my channel.

Back
Top Bottom