Looking for a Good Amp / Preset for Rockabilly Sound

LerxstFan

Inspired
Hi All - my band is going to play Rock This Town, and I'm having a hard time dialing in the tone and the reverb. I have a Suhr SSH+ in the bridge and a PRS VB in the neck. I'm using a Fender '65 amp model and just can't seem to get the right pickup combo (to split or not to split) that gets close to that tone. If anyone has a good rockabilly tone, or can suggest a better amp to try, any help or tips would be awesome - thank you!

Last edited:
A lot of the tone comes from the guitars typically used - Gretsch or other 'tron variants. You may have better luck using a Parametric EQ to dial in some of the enhanced frequencies inherent to those types of guitars.

So true that a lot comes from the guitar ! But to nail that sound you need a short slap back echo (echo plex style) usually 150ms or so will get you in the ball park.

Last edited:
Let me know how this sounds. I use a G&L semihollow body with MFD's, so it may be different on your guitar.

Attachments

• ROCK THIS TOWN.syx
    12.7 KB · Views: 108
Thank you all for the ideas - @Plato67 that preset sounds WAY better than what I had! I'm tweaking it and getting close to what I want to hear. Love this forum and community!

Man this brings back some memories. Was playing a bunch of Stray Cats way back in the early 80's... (of course didn't have anything close to the right amp - was using an orange face Randall ;-)

Back
Top Bottom