Looking for a free OSX alternative to the Orban Loudness Meter

Eric T Amble

Inspired
Hi everybody,

After hearing about people using the Orban Loudness meter with the Axe-Fx II, I was very excited! I have a lot of presets I need to level--one for each song in three sets of stuff.

Sadly, the Orban page says "does not support Yosemite or higher", and that's what I'm using.
I downloaded it anyway, and--sure enough--it didn't work; fonts were illegible and I couldn't seem to route the Axe-Fx II into it via USB (though I have no trouble with other apps).

So yeah, does anyone have any leads/recommendations on a free loudness meter app for OS X?
Like, for example, any mentioned at this link?
I could use a standalone one, or one that'll live inside Logic 9 as a plug-in.

Thanks, any observations would be appreciated!
Eric

The built in meters are fantastic. First thing I do when building a new preset is adjust my 'base tone' just so it's hitting the zero mark on the VU meters, that way I know I have plenty of headroom to kick in boosts and overdrives, as well as being in the ballpark level wise to all my other presets.

Last edited:
I have a stupid question about the built in vu meters. You're supposed to keep the levels under the black market correct? Like it isn't supposed to ever peak past it right?

I have a stupid question about the built in vu meters. You're supposed to keep the levels under the black market correct? Like it isn't supposed to ever peak past it right?

No. The Zero line is meant to be your nominal level, meaning your rhythm/normal loudness. You can then set any boosted lead tones to purposefully be higher than that, say +6 dB or so.

That marker/zero line is simply a relative point to judge all sounds against. Make your levels lower or higher or equal to the line, whatever a preset/scene needs.

That was for the horizontal VU.

The vertical VU is completely different, and going over the top of that line is clipping and bad.

I can't remember if the Orban was stand alone because I could never get it to work either but the The TB EBU Meter is awesome. And free. I use it in Logic as a go to for final mix leveling.

Use the Amp block(s) Output Level. That's why there is the capability to change that parameter right from the VU screen with the A and B Quick Knobs.

I agree that the VU meter in the Axe is great and basicly gets the job done. I still use the Orban to get "a second oppinion", though. Also, better readability. ;)

I stopped using the Orban Loudness meter and just rely on the built-in loudness meter in the Axe Fx 2 - in the utility menu.

I can't speak for the OP author but for me it's one of usability. My axe is in my skb case making the display a mere 10" off the ground. Even seated this makes doing things from the front panel is somewhat a pita so I typically end up doing 99% of my tweaking from Axe-Edit. I would love to see some form of metering in Axe-Edit.

I agree that the VU meter in the Axe is great and basicly gets the job done. I still use the Orban to get "a second oppinion", though. Also, better readability. ;)

When the new Fractal loudness meter came out, it compared spot on to the Dorrough meters I was using previously. But I haven't continued to compare the two since.

The Fractal meter works really well and is pretty fool proof for me. I start with my clean tones and then get my dirty tones maybe just a bit hotter visually on the meter to have spot on equal apparent volume.

Thanks everybody!

Honestly, I wasn't sure whether the VU meter was the same thing as "perceived loudness"... and though I use the VU meter, I wondered if I would get different results and derive some insight from that.

Thanks again,
Eric

Back
Top Bottom