Looking for a device that can...

gdgross

Experienced
In lieu of the wait for my FM3, I'm looking for a small pedalboard sized device that can:

1. play one or more midi files I load into it. this midi info would need to come out on wither 5 pin MIDI or USB (as long as this device is a USB host). It will be feeding this MIDI info to my AX8
2. output an audio click so I can send to the band and myself via IEM.

When we do live videos, i do all of this in protools, often using the midi commands to switch my looper around and turn effects on/off, so i can think about my fingers and my singing rather than tap dancing. I need the click to come from the same source as the midi file so that the loops will stay in sync for the duration of a song.

Anything like this exist?

Thanks for the tip- looks cool, although it's sold as more of an audio playback device.

Sounds like it could do what I'm looking for though, I'd just have to print a click track to audio first...

Thanks for the tip- looks cool, although it's sold as more of an audio playback device.

Sounds like it could do what I'm looking for though, I'd just have to print a click track to audio first...

It will actually do exactly what you’re looking for. I know a band that uses one to simultaneously send midi commands to 3 effects processors, play the click track and backing track. Seems to be a really versatile unit.

It will actually do exactly what you’re looking for. I know a band that uses one to simultaneously send midi commands to 3 effects processors, play the click track and backing track. Seems to be a really versatile unit.
Fantastic to hear, thanks!

If they did show their live rig on YT, that was one of the inspiration for my one...

I'd just get a cheap laptop.

What he said. This is the best route. Tons more processing power and 1000X more functionality. Hell a simple cheap ThinkPad will do the job for a lot less money. The key question is...do you want it to fit in a rack or are you willing to sit a laptop on top of your rack case and take the time to program it. I responded to the Cymatic Audio reference because I’ve seen it work well for a touring band. But if you want a cheaper option with more processing power get a laptop like Admin M@ said.

Laptop would sure work, that's what I use now in studio (protools triggering my loops and midi messages), but I'd totes prefer something that fit on a pedalboard and not an extra step to set up with a power supply cable, extra cords etc...

We'll see if i can wait out my FM3 invite or not lol...

I'd just get a cheap laptop.
The problem is a laptop itself: once during a gig our macbook lost USB connection and in the middle of the song we have left without backing tracks. During another gig other band faced damaged hard disk and no option for backing tracks, click tracks and video at all. That is why we've decided for player - it is installed in our IEM rack, projects are stored on USB sticks (we have 2 spares) and it is more reliable that computer. Midi can also control lights and computer with video playback.

Back
Top Bottom