Looking for a compact wired IEM setup

chrisjnyc

Power User
Need a simple wired IEM setup for rehearsals. It would just be; elec drums, bass, guitar, a backing track, and vocals... all going direct to a small mixer. Would like to create 3 seperate mixes, but could work with just one mix to all 3 sets of headphones.

Need a simple wired IEM setup for rehearsals. It would just be; elec drums, bass, guitar, a backing track, and vocals... all going direct to a small mixer. Would like to create 3 seperate mixes, but could work with just one mix to all 3 sets of headphones.

Whats your budget?

This could work very well for that scenario......if you want to spend $400 on a mixer. Then all you would need would be a headphone amp or individual Behringer P1's.

Yea, I would like to get 3 Behringer P1's, but I dont have enough outputs from my mixer. The XR16 only has 4 aux outs. I would need 5 outs

Yea, I would like to get 3 Behringer P1's, but I dont have enough outputs from my mixer. The XR16 only has 4 aux outs. I would need 5 outs

Well, technically....if you counted the L/R main outputs you would have 6 individual outputs, but only 5 independent mixes. If you only need 5 individual mixes then that setup could still work for you.....unless you are wanting to send a FOH mix for a rehearsal???

I guess I was confused because it looked to me like you only needed 3 separate mixes going to 3 sets of headphones. I just took that as you needing only 3 aux outputs. So you actually need 5 aux outputs and L/R to mains? Or are you using mains at rehearsal?

I also concur and recommend the Jamhub. Best thing we found for rehearsing and each person getting their own personal headphone mix. Allows us to practice almost anywhere at any time. My only gripe is the need for the extra SoleMix units and Solemix extension cords. Otherwise it's like huddling around a fireplace until you get your mix right.

As the guitarist, I've supplemented the setup with a Jump Audio IXM cable which cuts down the wires going back and forth. Really great system combining the two and also works well on stage too.

I also concur and recommend the Jamhub. Best thing we found for rehearsing and each person getting their own personal headphone mix. Allows us to practice almost anywhere at any time. My only gripe is the need for the extra SoleMix units and Solemix extension cords. Otherwise it's like huddling around a fireplace until you get your mix right.

As the guitarist, I've supplemented the setup with a Jump Audio IXM cable which cuts down the wires going back and forth. Really great system combining the two and also works well on stage too.

I have looked at the jamhub before, but it seems to be a bit cheaply made. Would like to use this a certain gigs too.

I guess I was confused because it looked to me like you only needed 3 separate mixes going to 3 sets of headphones. I just took that as you needing only 3 aux outputs. So you actually need 5 aux outputs and L/R to mains? Or are you using mains at rehearsal?

Its a complicated setup, where I have 2 outs going to my laptop for recording, and another 3-4 outs going to PA speakers. I do think the XR16 would work for 90% of what we need. It's hard to get a lot of aux outs on a small mixer.

It's not cheaply made, i've had one since they came out and use in my practice room for years. Granted i'm not plugging and unplugging every day. I would have a panel made to do the work of the patching. I use an x32 for gigs and run stereo iems.

Are you sold on the xr16? save up a bit and get one with more aux sends?

@CraigC thanks for the mention of Jump audio. That looks like a nice simple piece of kit.

Are you happy with the stereo imaging, frequency response and noise?

Its a complicated setup, where I have 2 outs going to my laptop for recording, and another 3-4 outs going to PA speakers. I do think the XR16 would work for 90% of what we need. It's hard to get a lot of aux outs on a small mixer.

Well, if it helps your cause any, the XR16 has a USB output you can run straight into your computer for recording.....and you can actually record each input individually instead of having to send a pre-done mix where you can't do any post level mixing. It would actually be better for recording and post production than just sending a FOH board mix to your laptop.
Not trying to sway you, I don't work for Music Group. Just didn't know if you knew all the features or not.

Well, if it helps your cause any, the XR16 has a USB output you can run straight into your computer for recording.....and you can actually record each input individually instead of having to send a pre-done mix where you can't do any post level mixing. It would actually be better for recording and post production than just sending a FOH board mix to your laptop.
Not trying to sway you, I don't work for Music Group. Just didn't know if you knew all the features or not.

I'm sorry, I told you wrong.....the xr18 has the ability to hook it directly to a computer, the xr16 has a USB port to attach a flash drive or hard drive to for stereo recording. You could still use it to record and then transfer to your computer afterwards.

If you have an iPad already, here is yet another affordable option. Gives you the ins/outs, features, USB options of the XR18, but costs a few hundred less.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/X18

With all that said.....if you will give us specific lists of what you need as far as inputs, outputs, needs....then we can make recommendations to fit your exact needs without having to guess at what you really need. You started asking for a simple wired iem solution for 5 instrument inputs and the ability to have 3 individual mixes going out. Now we are onto needing 2 outputs going to a computer to record, 3-4 outputs going to PA speakers, 3 going to wired iem monitors, etc.... We are here to help you out, but the more specific you are about the needs of your setup, the better we can give you options.

@CraigC thanks for the mention of Jump audio. That looks like a nice simple piece of kit.

Overall yes. Obviously having decent IEMs are more of a factor but also, works so far as my limited situation...

For the Jamhub, no issues with noise (other than the jamhub being a bit noisy itself. No Midas preamps there!). Practice weekly with it and set it up/take it down each and every time. Disconnecting connectors, SoleMixes, power cord, etc.and putting back into a gym bag.

Gigged out once so far (small bar with our own PA). I use the standard length IXM cord (18 ft) and it's been fine and running the IEM feed from one of my Aux outs on my X32. As the Y- split on the IXM cable isn't that long, I needed to have the X32 and my Kemper pretty close together to connect. [no flames...I'm also on the AX8 wait list and (still) an ULTRA user]. Being also our sound guy, I'm used to having the mixer near me anyway and typically have it in the back line with the amps [away from all the "beer guzzling, attracted to flashing lights" fans o_O]

When the AX8 comes, will have to reconsider how to set the IXM all up as now one cable goes "forward" to the AX8 and the other to the back for the X32. Might need an extension cable to run the IEM feed from the X32. Not sure if the AUX output on X32 will be sufficient enough to drive the long length and might need a headphone amp in between. Guess I will cross that bridge when Cliff sends me my AX8....

Lastly, I found this. Not my band but looks like they use the Jamhub on the road as well, along with the IXM.

If you have an iPad already, here is yet another affordable option. Gives you the ins/outs, features, USB options of the XR18, but costs a few hundred less.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/X18

With all that said.....if you will give us specific lists of what you need as far as inputs, outputs, needs....then we can make recommendations to fit your exact needs without having to guess at what you really need. You started asking for a simple wired iem solution for 5 instrument inputs and the ability to have 3 individual mixes going out. Now we are onto needing 2 outputs going to a computer to record, 3-4 outputs going to PA speakers, 3 going to wired iem monitors, etc.... We are here to help you out, but the more specific you are about the needs of your setup, the better we can give you options.

It's a tricky setup, because a lot of things are in motion.. a moving target. I want to bring in IEM headphones, but not sure I can just make the swap , or if I need to add IEM and also have the PA speakers going in conjunction. With the XR16, how many iphone\android devices can I hook up to the XR16? I see a lot of guys are using an external wifi router with the XR16\XR32

Overall yes. Obviously having decent IEMs are more of a factor but also, works so far as my limited situation...

For the Jamhub, no issues with noise (other than the jamhub being a bit noisy itself. No Midas preamps there!). Practice weekly with it and set it up/take it down each and every time. Disconnecting connectors, SoleMixes, power cord, etc.and putting back into a gym bag.

Gigged out once so far (small bar with our own PA). I use the standard length IXM cord (18 ft) and it's been fine and running the IEM feed from one of my Aux outs on my X32. As the Y- split on the IXM cable isn't that long, I needed to have the X32 and my Kemper pretty close together to connect. [no flames...I'm also on the AX8 wait list and (still) an ULTRA user]. Being also our sound guy, I'm used to having the mixer near me anyway and typically have it in the back line with the amps [away from all the "beer guzzling, attracted to flashing lights" fans o_O]

When the AX8 comes, will have to reconsider how to set the IXM all up as now one cable goes "forward" to the AX8 and the other to the back for the X32. Might need an extension cable to run the IEM feed from the X32. Not sure if the AUX output on X32 will be sufficient enough to drive the long length and might need a headphone amp in between. Guess I will cross that bridge when Cliff sends me my AX8....

Lastly, I found this. Not my band but looks like they use the Jamhub on the road as well, along with the IXM.

Hmmmm... the jamhub does look pretty good, I just wish it was more hardware neutral, as you have to buy the jamhub remotes, and other components which are only useful for the jamhub.

It's a tricky setup, because a lot of things are in motion.. a moving target. I want to bring in IEM headphones, but not sure I can just make the swap , or if I need to add IEM and also have the PA speakers going in conjunction. With the XR16, how many iphone\android devices can I hook up to the XR16? I see a lot of guys are using an external wifi router with the XR16\XR32

I have an XR18 and I use an external router with it so that I can get the 5ghz option. The 2.4ghz range of the built in router is on the same frequency of most wireless devices, so I had issues with connectivity. I got a 5ghz router and have been great ever since. We will have 5 members with phones connected controlling mixes as well as FOH controlling via iPad and not have any issues using the external router.

Hmmmm... the jamhub does look pretty good, I just wish it was more hardware neutral, as you have to buy the jamhub remotes, and other components which are only useful for the jamhub.

None of the "accessories" is unique...
Only the SoleMix remotes and the extension cable for it are unique/specific and those are just for convenience to have the individual personal mixing controls in front of you instead of going back to the base.

All other wires are the standard XLR and 1/4" TRS type cables. Same for headphones. The ones Jamhub sell are just color coded for better visualization. Colored tape from any craft store/home depot works just fine. And obviously, other headphone brands work fine too.

The jamhub even comes with a few mono to stereo (for amp sends) and 1/4" to 1/8" adapters for IEMs (if your not full size cans that take 1/4" TRS).

I also had the Jump audio wired unit a few years ago and I quite liked it! I ended up going with a wireless solution (Shure PSM300) but would still recommend the Jump unit.....

Back
Top Bottom