Looking for 24.75 with Floyd

the new anderson l’il angel or arc angel (arc is just all mahogany construction) and they offer Floyd, and non fine tuner Floyd also.

I've noticed the non fine tuner Floyd showing up more and more recently...I had one on a Kramer as kid, but I thought it had gone extinct. I'm trying to think of what the benefit of losing the tuners would be....Hand position? What am I missing?

edit: most likely losing the nut.

I’ll be honest I do wonder on the thinking behind it over a conventional style trem loaded through the block. I know some guys like the feel of Floyd bridges but have them blocked with no intention to use the trem.
Something to do with the end points of the string being linear perhaps? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’ll be honest I do wonder on the thinking behind it over a conventional style trem loaded through the block. I know some guys like the feel of Floyd bridges but have them blocked with no intention to use the trem.
Something to do with the end points of the string being linear perhaps? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Possibly, but if that's the case why lose the tuners?

But I understand what your saying...I only use Floyd guitars for songs that need dive bombs, (thanks Eddie!) but everything else I can make work on non Floyds.

But I understand what your saying...I only use Floyd guitars for songs that need dive bombs, (thanks Eddie!) but everything else I can make work on non Floyds.
He said in an interview about his Charvel sig that he didn't like the way the tuners affected his hand position, and that because he often does pretty aggressive right hand technique sometimes his hand would get caught / cut by the tuners. Same reason John Petrucci doesn't like Floyds and got EBMM to make his custom bridge that goes as far as covering the saddles by a plate.

I've noticed the non fine tuner Floyd showing up more and more recently...I had one on a Kramer as kid, but I thought it had gone extinct. I'm trying to think of what the benefit of losing the tuners would be....Hand position? What am I missing?

edit: most likely losing the nut.
For me it would be locking saddles... They prevent tuning issues since the string can't shift on the saddle.

I have not used one, but Wilkinson locking saddles on my Gotoh 510 are better than the non-locking ones.

Yeah I never really use a whammy, only really for messing around but I own 3 Floyd guitars?! Something about them is comfortable to me and I'm so used to them now. I just fitted an ESP Arming Adjuster to my Jackson Kelly and wow did that make a difference. I can drop tune from D to C and only go flat by about 2 cents on the rest of the strings. Excellent device if you want a trem stabilizer.

ESP eclipse with a floyd?

I like the Les Paul Axcess models. I've been on the fence for one of the Alex Lifeson sigs, but they basically all vanished. I haven't seen one for sale on Reverb in a very long time, there used to be half a dozen for sale all the time.

Back
Top Bottom