Looking at getting a new interface, Completely confused now......

Pwrmac7600

Power User
So a few days ago I posted a thread asking questions about a UAD Apollo interface. I "thought" this was the interface I was going to go with. After doing a little more lite reading, I am not so sure this is the right interface for me. The huge benefit seems to be the onboard dsp if you are using their plugins, but the price is high. not that I am looking at a 500 unit, but looking to stay under 2000.

So now I am just trying to research my options.
To recap my current set up is old.
BLA Signature modded Digi003 running on (please don't flame me) Pro Tools LE....
I plan to stay in Pro Tools, regardless of anyone trying to talk me out of it, with a perpetual license of the newest version of Pro Tools.

I record for my own enjoyment, not pro, and I don't need a ton of mic pres.
I currently run my AXE FX III via spdif, a sans amp bass DI, a Fractal X Load, and 2 warm audio mic pres for when I may want to record my cab mic'ed. I like to leave all of it connected so I am ready to go when inspiration hits.
All of my drums are through superior or EZ.

Looking for a good transparent interface, with good quality conversion, must have Spdif connection. and I "think" I may be looking for something thunderbolt?
Oh yes, this all runs on a Mac Mini Quad core i7.

So far after moving on from the Apollo interest, I am thinking about an Apogee Ensemble
but would love to know what recommendations anyone has.
Thanks

I use it on a Windows 10 machine I built a few years ago. ASUS motherboard with Thunderbolt port, 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, etc. Honestly, the latency is a non-issue. I'm running Reaper and using 64 buffer setting and 48000 sample rate. No perceived latency on my end.

Is it just me? Most interfaces appear to be 4 years old. Being that I will most likely use whatever interface I go with for the next god knows how many years, I hate to think that next year a new slew of updated models will be coming out. I was surprised to see that most of the interfaces on the market are already in year 4ish of their life cycle.

I have to say, I am really surprised more people didn't weigh in on this. I know we have a lot of people here that record. Thought for sure this would be a good place to get real opinions as opposed to the GS page where every thread just turns into an argument over what is better.

So a few days ago I posted a thread asking questions about a UAD Apollo interface. I "thought" this was the interface I was going to go with. After doing a little more lite reading, I am not so sure this is the right interface for me. The huge benefit seems to be the onboard dsp if you are using their plugins, but the price is high. not that I am looking at a 500 unit, but looking to stay under 2000.

So now I am just trying to research my options.
To recap my current set up is old.
BLA Signature modded Digi003 running on (please don't flame me) Pro Tools LE....
I plan to stay in Pro Tools, regardless of anyone trying to talk me out of it, with a perpetual license of the newest version of Pro Tools.

I record for my own enjoyment, not pro, and I don't need a ton of mic pres.
I currently run my AXE FX III via spdif, a sans amp bass DI, a Fractal X Load, and 2 warm audio mic pres for when I may want to record my cab mic'ed. I like to leave all of it connected so I am ready to go when inspiration hits.
All of my drums are through superior or EZ.

Looking for a good transparent interface, with good quality conversion, must have Spdif connection. and I "think" I may be looking for something thunderbolt?
Oh yes, this all runs on a Mac Mini Quad core i7.

So far after moving on from the Apollo interest, I am thinking about an Apogee Ensemble
but would love to know what recommendations anyone has.
Thanks
What would you gain ,getting a new interface?
I was thinking of getting a black lion 003
That’s why I ask

What would you gain ,getting a new interface?
I was thinking of getting a black lion 003
That’s why I ask
aside from better conversion and more updated components, an interface that is still supported. This interface hasn't been supported by avid for some time now. So there's no driver support anymore. I want to update my entire system since I am stuck in the past OS wise due to my setup limitations. I would hate to spend crazy money on a new daw only to find out this interface isn't supported. There are just so many what if's involved in me upgrading everything in my setup and NOT upgrading my interface.

Edit, Oh and lower latency...

Last edited:
I would go for the Apogee ensemble. Best move I have ever done. You get a high end interface for many many years. Ease of use, small footprint and if you play home take the Element 46 which has 2 headphones outputs.

I would go for the Apogee ensemble. Best move I have ever done. You get a high end interface for many many years. Ease of use, small footprint and if you play home take the Element 46 which has 2 headphones outputs.
Yeah I actually finally decided to pull the trigger on a Ensemble today. hopefully should have it in a few days, and then begins the long tedious process of upgrading my computer and Pro Tools. Currently backing up everything I want to transfer over onto a removable drive.

Well so far I have finished updating my mac. Took most of yesterday into early this afternoon.
All seems to have gone well. I was even able to get drivers that work for my Digi 003, which shocked me considering the last drivers release were back in 2016. I stopped just short of OS Catalina just because I am still reading of some bugginess with PT and Catalina. And as anticipated my old version of Pro Tools is non operable. So getting ready to make my purchase of Pro Tools to give it a test drive, especially since I have a functioning interface here right now to test it out.
New interface should be here Friday.

Well PT install went good, everything working fine with existing interface (digi003).
Now we'll see once the new interface arrives friday!

Back
Top Bottom