Looking at Axe-Fx for studio

James Lugo

I'm looking into getting into an Axe Fx for the studio. I know very little about the different revisions. I see there's a ll and the newer one is lll. I don't need anything that is crazy midi for live, this is for recording only. Also does the Axe Fx take stereo input and output in stereo? I ask cause my studio board comes out stereo off an Eventide and I want to use this in stereo most of the time.

The new lll is more dough then I wanna spend, I'm looking under $1200 or so, maybe used off Reverb.

Thoughts?

I've had the axe fx2 for several years now. For me, it's best/coolest piece of equipment I own next to my left handed JP6. It does everything I need in the studio. I've recorded guitars and bass with it with no issues.

I'm still a huge noob when it comes to it. I'm sure I've only used about 15% of it's full function. I hope to get the III one day.

I've never used it live. If money is factor, a used II is probably your best bet, you won't be disappointed.

Best of luck

The Axe FX 2 is still a great piece of gear. To clear up any confusion, there were a few iterations of it...the Mark 1 Mark 2 and 2+...some changes in the ports and memory slots would be the broad strokes on the differences. The wiki will have a lot more detail for you...

I use my Axe 2 mark 1 live and for recording...just tracked guitars for a song yesterday in fact...I think it sounds great in both instances. Live I run it into a Matrix GT800fx power amp into a Mesa 4x12...tried direct, tried through an frfr speaker, and just prefer the push of a cab. Anyways, for recording, I just run the xlr outs into an interface. You can also run it via spdif, usb, and several 1/4” and xlr (as mentioned) options. Again, the wiki or a cruise through the manual will fill in the details. Personally, I’ve not been tempted by the Axe 3...I haven’t even updated mine since 2015 ish? Got the sounds I liked and didn’t feel compelled to chase new ones.

Stereo outputs for sure, inputs...not 100% sure as I run mine as a standard guitar preamp/processor. Maybe you can use both input 1 and 2 for stereo? Someone else can probably chime in.

But the way the prices have come down, you may be able to snag one for your budget...though if you find one at that price, you should jump on it. A lot that I’ve seen have been $1500-1600

Thanks guys, I put a lll in my shopping cart, hesitant to pull the trigger though. Not really sure if I want or need it. I have a large amp and pedal collection in the studio but I do like what the AF3 does.

I'm looking into getting into an Axe Fx for the studio. I know very little about the different revisions. I see there's a ll and the newer one is lll. I don't need anything that is crazy midi for live, this is for recording only. Also does the Axe Fx take stereo input and output in stereo? I ask cause my studio board comes out stereo off an Eventide and I want to use this in stereo most of the time.

The new lll is more dough then I wanna spend, I'm looking under $1200 or so, maybe used off Reverb.

Thoughts?

I use a Axe II Mk II running Ares 2.x firmware and love it, though also I often use it 2CM/4CM with my tube preamps for tube power amp and cab sims (plus FX etc).

A used Axe II in good shape should be had easily under $1200, and yes, the Axe has 4 inputs and four outputs, and excepts stereo or mono I/O.

You should look over the Wiki, and download the manual PDF.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Category:Axe-Fx2

https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-downloads/

Last edited:
Is this THE James Lugo, from the amp shootouts and such?

Welcome!

One thing I learned from your shootouts is that the cab is so much more important than the amp.

If you do get a III, we are here to help you with any questions.

Me too. The cab makes more of a difference than anything, followed by mic placement.

Thanks guys, I put a lll in my shopping cart, hesitant to pull the trigger though. Not really sure if I want or need it. I have a large amp and pedal collection in the studio but I do like what the AF3 does.
Go for it and don't look back!
Incredibly flexible, powerful, sounds killer.
Just have to be hyper focused on what you want to accomplish with it, cause otherwise you could get lost in its vast ocean

By the way, you have a killer voice, and awesome range!!!!

I'd love to find a singer of your caliber. It took me 6 years, the last time.

Go for it and don't look back!
Incredibly flexible, powerful, sounds killer.
Just have to be hyper focused on what you want to accomplish with it, cause otherwise you could get lost in its vast ocean

By the way, you have a killer voice, and awesome range!!!!

I'd love to find a singer of your caliber. It took me 6 years, the last time.

thanks man.

Back
Top Bottom