Look what Pat Mastelotto just posted

"The Laptop is also Robert's and that's connected to the Axe-FX over USB, so that we can tweak things. Robert doesn't get somebody else to handle effects for him, he's very hands-on. It's a complete holistic approach."

Jesus, the GR-1 was a pig (and is just old as fuck) next to the Axon, and the new Fishman pick-up smokes it, by miles. Not to mention the Stringport, which would make ALL the synth stuff obsolete, perhaps everything but the Axe-FX. Guess he was OUT of the loop on that one.

Maybe the GR-1 is obsolete but there are still some nice typical Fripp sounds in it. Have played on one recently and I must say I really liked it. Much better (for me) and less clinical than the later Roland guitar synths like the GR-55.

Btw how does the Stringport compare to the Fishman as for tracking and accuracy?

Last edited:
Maybe the GR-1 is obsolete but there are still some nice typical Fripp sounds in it. Have played on one recently and I must say I really liked it. Much better (for me) and less clinical than the later Roland guitar synths like the GR-55.

Given the Fishman is about $300 (and it's WIRELESS USB), and software is relatively cheap, I can't see using anything else. Unless....\/

Btw how does the Stringport compare to the Fishman as for tracking and accuracy?

I just know what I've seen on youtube, and it was impressive. The cool thing about it is: any standard hex pick-up is just that; it transmits sound; it does no 'translation'; wherein the Stringport takes that sound and can run each string into any VST, and translates beforehand if triggering, and doesn't if using an audio processing VST, for example, amp modeling software - and can run four instances per string simultanesously. There's also his own brand of guitar and amp modeling in the software package, but those may be obsolete by now. Look it up. I'm hungry for one.

Jesus, the GR-1 was a pig (and is just old as fuck) next to the Axon, and the new Fishman pick-up smokes it, by miles. Not to mention the Stringport, which would make ALL the synth stuff obsolete, perhaps everything but the Axe-FX. Guess he was OUT of the loop on that one.

Performing artists don't give a shit about whether their gear is the latest and greatest unless it does precisely what they need. Robert clearly has a specific need for the GR-1, therefore it stays in the rig. Professional v. Amateur.

Back
Top Bottom