Look What Arrived Today

It's in mint condition. You could eat off the chassis. I spend a lot of time looking for "good" old amps. Most of the time the chassis is corroded, transformers are rusted, caps are leaking, etc. You have to be patient and wait for the gems. I almost scored a NOS Viboverb about a month ago but when the bidding got up to $8K I stopped.

If it has the original transformers then its the holy grail of MK IIC+ eses.

Even Mr.Petrucci helped us old C+Afficionados on Mesa Channel comparing his C to Mark V,unfortunately a Mark V cannot do what a C+ could***

So we may(will) now move closer then ever as Cliffs is very close allready in the Axe

Roland

***Should never have sold my C+-->but afterwards everybody is usually more clever

So now we have a Mark IIC+, Mark IV, Mark V and two Triaxis in the reference collection. Plus two Dual Rectifiers and a Single Rectifier. And a Lonestar. And a Subway Blues on the way.

Does this mean that we could expect some Mark V sounds in an upcoming firmware update? For me, there's really something special about the way a Mark V sounds and feels.

A Mark I would be a really nice addition. The Heartbreaker comes pretty close but the Mark I (and King Snake, reissues, etc.) are really unique in the Boogie world.

Does this mean that we could expect some Mark V sounds in an upcoming firmware update? For me, there's really something special about the way a Mark V sounds and feels.

Cliff: "The MK V is basically a compendium of previous Mesa amps. There may be minor differences in tone due to circuit layout but nothing a few tweaks to the EQ can't fix"

I hope the right people see this message: "THE MARK I MODE ON THE MARK V!!!!!" That one is no joke. You guys know what sound I go for right and you'd think that the lead channel is where it's at for me. To my own surprise I liked the Mark I mode for my rhythm sound more and no sliders used for that sound.

That Mark V has so many awesome tones available that are definitely amp sim worthy.

What would be some good examples of seminal tones from this amp? Santana? Other?

As far as I know, Carlos is not a IIC+ kind of guy. He bought an original modded Princeton from Randall Smith and has typically used his '73 Mark 1. From his website. . . "Carlos has traditionally used the Boogie Mark 1 originally purchased in 1973.".

A Mark I would be a really nice addition. The Heartbreaker comes pretty close but the Mark I (and King Snake, reissues, etc.) are really unique in the Boogie world.

Indeed, a Mark 1 (or King Snake, etc.) would be a worthy addition to the AxeFX. That's the Santana tone I fell in love with when I was a teenager.

Terry.

Cliff could you please brief us a little bit about this beauty ??

(From Wikipedia)
Mark IIC & IIC+
The Mark IIC finally remedied the two major problems of the IIA and the IIB, which were the noisy reverb circuit, and a footswitching system that produced a popping noise when activated. The Mark IIC featured a quieter footswitching system based on optocouplers to reroute the signal, and a new mod to the reverb circuit. The reverb modification involved resistor swaps and a change in ground lead placement. That mod[ification] is still on the books of 'official' mods, which they send to their authorized techs; it runs about $50."[citation needed] Mesa/Boogie no longer does this modification at its own factory. The Mark IIC also featured a new Pull Bass shift on the front panel, which slightly extended the low frequencies in the preamp.

The Mark IIC+ was the last of the Mark II series and featured a more sensitive lead channel, because it features a dual cascading drive stage, whereas the IIA and IIB had a single stage drive circuit. The IIC+ also had an improved effects loop. Unlike earlier Mark II models, pedals configured for instrument-level input signal could be used without the amp's signal overloading their inputs. However, the volume pedal option on the Mark IIB cannot be implemented on Mark IIC+s.

Some owners/dealers/sellers say the "+" refers to an amp having an EQ, but they are mistaken. The mistake may have originated in the mid 1980s, when Mesa/Boogie issued their Studio .22 model and then changed the name to Studio .22+, which featured improved wiring, etc. All the Mark II models could be made with EQ as an option, but not all of them did. A Mark IIC+ could, for example, refer to a 100 watt amp without EQ or reverb.

One can tell if a particular amp is a "+" by looking for a hand-written black "+" mark directly above where the power cord attaches to the back of the amp. Many dealers increase the price on a Mark IIC+ but often don't know anything about what the "+" means--they often don't even know where to find the "+" mark. Indeed, the mark itself can be forged. An owner can call Mesa/Boogie and ask them to check his or her serial number against their records. Mesa/Boogie only made about 1,400 Mark IIC amps before going to the Mark IIC+. Another cosmetic way of distinguishing a IIC from a IIC+ is the front panel. A IIC has the traditional "Gain Boost" pull switch integrated into the master volume, while a IIC+ replaced the switch with a Pull Deep bass booster. Some Coliseum series IIC+'s retained the surplus "Gain Boost" faceplates, though. IIC+'s upgraded from earlier IIC's also retain their original Gain Boost faceplates. However there are some very early "transitional" C+´s (in the 133xx range) with gain boost on the panel, but it works the same as the pull Deep on the later versions.

A practical, non-cosmetic method for determining whether a Mark IIC is a C+ is the "Loop Test":[4]

1) Plug your guitar into the Effects Return jack 2) Switch to lead mode 3) Turn the Lead Drive and Gain controls with a note ringing. 4) If they have NO effect on the volume and sound you have a+.

This method should remove all doubt as to whether the preamp circuit board is a IIC or a IIC+.

The Mark IIC+ Is currently the most coveted vintage Boogie, selling for twice its original price on average, because of its much praised "Liquid Lead" mode, and also, its warm, clean rhythm mode.

we are totally spoiled with all these amps in our AFX. So great to play with those things, along with the right flavor for each. Awesome.

In the history of the Axe FX, the Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ has been modeled several times : a non simulclass version FW 11 and earlier, then a simulclass. For those who want the sound of the non simulclass, Cliff said :

If you want the sound of the non-SimulClass version set Triode 1 Plate Freq to 1350 Hz.

(http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...mware-v11-01-new-preset-banks.html#post910386)

I don't know if the G3 version of this new arrived 100W simulclass IIC+ will have a sound different from (worse or better) the actual sim but if it's the case, I hope Cliff will let us know how to achieve the sounds of the former versions. Do you know why ? Because the actual sim of the IIC+ is already great. I made a lot of presets with them and I'm really happy with them.

If i was not possible to achieve former IIC+ versions with this new G3 version, I hope Cliff will let the actual sim in the next firmware.

After all, it's always a question of taste. Maybe the sim of this new arrived 100W simulclass IIC+ will be perfect and nobody will go back to former versions !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom