Long time Fractal guy here. Is "III" miles beyond the "II"?

romanianreaper

Power User
Hello all! I am a huge Fractal fan and have been using the Axe-Fx II since probably around 2011 or so. Love the tones so much that I haven't owned another amp since. I've done so many recordings and the awesome black box never lets me down. I've been on the forum here for years and know a bunch of folks so figured I'd check in and ask a few questions.

Obviously like others, I'm completely intrigued and excited about the "III" coming out. No doubt it sounds amazing and is a step up on so many levels. I wanted to ask when compared to the older unit, is there a significant difference in tones and the overall sounds or is it a subtle change? I guess I'm wondering if an upgrade to the "III" would be more of an advantage with more options such as IRs, cabs, pedals, possibilities, etc., as well as in/out choices, or that you hear it immediately before you even touch a preset?

I have no doubt I'll get one of these down the road but since I'm loving my "II" still, I was so curious about the differences. Anyway, appreciate any insight! Thanks!

If you love the II you'll love the III even more. I think there is enough tonal difference to justify the upgrade and more of everything!

Just the CPU power alone in outstanding. Gone are the days of "boy I wish I could just add one more pitch block without running out of CPU power". Almost everything is complete in Axe Edit now as well as the FC pedals should be available soon for the live guys. Some of the new blocks are like holy hell I never even knew I needed that but sure am glad they are there.

Yes.

I didn't expect it. I wasn't even 100% sure I was going to upgrade, but the III keeps surprising me. I didn't think I could love anything more than my II, but this thing slays it. The amps feel more realistic, the effects are better, the power, the IO... It's a worthy successor without a doubt.

I don’t think there is a single thing the II does better than the III other than leave more money in your wallet

Better tones, more options, bigger screen, more future updates, new effects, more routing, etc etc

Anything you love about the II is in the III and lots more

I wouldn’t say miles above, but it is enough that I don’t regret for one moment taking the leap. The sound and feel takes it to the next level with amazing future potential. It is also the first time with any equipment where I found a ton of presets that needed little to no tweaking to play live. My Axe II is still used as a backup and/or for visiting musicians to use when they come over.

I wouldn’t say miles above, but it is enough that I don’t regret for one moment taking the leap. The sound and feel takes it to the next level with amazing future potential. It is also the first time with any equipment where I found a ton of presets that needed little to no tweaking to play live....

This. It does sound better, not glaringly so, but enough that it's still a sugar rush when I play that 1st chord.

The cab options I think it was really sets it apart (and the capability to 'cab-lab' them baked in.) I was daunted before it showed up as there would be SO many options, but it was surprisingly easy to find a few that fit the bill.

I personally don't think it's "miles away" at this moment, but I am gonna get it anyway. Super happy with my Axe Fx 2 mark I, which is gonna become backup unit as soon as I get Axe 3. Go for it!

I have the new Axe III and it gets most of my time, but still play the Axe II Mark I, and even the Ultra sometimes (as FX unit mostly). The III is not as big a leap from the II, as the II is from the Ultra, from just a amp tone/feel standpoint. With the Axe II on FW10.1, it is pretty close.

I am happy I got the Axe III. You may be happy as well if you get it. Really sounds great, great dynamics. There is just so much more there to work with, plus all the cabinet modeling possibilities.

The Axefx3 is slightly better in tonez than the Axefx2, has a lot more power for creating presets, and has a better/easier-to-use display.

I wasn't really able to justify upgrading from my Axefx2, but Fractal has saved me so much money on NOT buying amps and pedals in the last eight years, I think they deserved my continued business.
And it's definitely a fun ride to see what Cliff comes up with next....

Last edited:
It does sound better but what seems to be the biggest difference to me is how easy it is to get a great tone. With the 2 it's in there but it takes a while to learn how to get there. With the 3 it's just so easy.

I mean, comparing the two next to each other, "miles" might be a bit of an exaggeration. Keep in mind that the II is still head and shoulders above most everything else. Especially so because the III's amp modeling algorithms have been at least partially applied to the II.

Sound wise, the III is "better" than the II, but the degree to which it is better is debatable, and remember the II was already leading the industry.

Feature sets are where the III really shines. It can do and store quite a bit more per patch than the II. I could talk for quite a while about this but youtube and the manual will explain this a lot better than I could.

Last edited:
I think when you add up all the benefits of the III over the II, there’s just no way I see somebody being disappointed when they make the switch from the II......at least once the FCs come out...hehe.

I was skeptical because I didn’t believe there would be an immediate noticeable difference between the spectacular II and the new III. My preconception informed me (secondary to past experiences with other manufacturers who vowed “new and better!”) that whatever improvements would be extremely subtle and only an engineer (not an aging wished I’d been a star like me) could discern. I was wrong! The improvement in sound was immediately obvious and addicting...I have not played the II since. Others may be able to tell you why. I can only testify that the III is better than all my tube amps (Marshall YNG 100; Diezel Herbert; Friedman JJ-100). It us like having a magic box that has all those sounds plus others and in a way that is not like traditional “ modeling.” It is like the real amps are alive and breathing for you. You should immediately pull the trigger on this one unless you need to feed your wife and kids...naaaa just get it anyway...

Back
Top Bottom