Long road to home :)

DTS

Experienced
Little story for you guys. :)

I bought the Axe FX II MKII in 2013 after a long Gas and waiting. It was everything I wished for and more. There was nothing like it (and still isn't), not to forget how big firmware changes and developement has happened after that.

I first played and recorded my music at home. Axe FX II was a dream unit for recording. Then I put a band together and was super happy how my Axe FX II and CLR Cab sounded in the rehearsals. It was just amazing.

During these years I learned a lot from the Axe FX II amps, that how each sound and needs to tweak. And I still have a lot to learn in that area. But it has always been part of the fun with this unit. The modeling is so close to the real things. :)

After many years of happily playing with Axe FX II I wanted to get a backup rig. I bought the Atomic amplifire and couple pedals for it. It sounded great as well... And got me thinking if I could just be a simple man with a simple rig (Amplifire). So in that black moment I decided to sell my Axe FX II and stick with the Amplifire rig.

Well, as good as the Amplifire rig was. I started to miss my Fractal rig pretty soon and bought the AX8, which was the perfect solution for me. All the awesome amps and effects in a more portable Floorboard unit. This was it! I told myself. The best of both worlds and it worked wonderfully in studio and Live use.

But my gear journey didn't end up there, although it should have... :) Line6 released the Helix LT, that had all the main specs of it's bigger brother with a lot cheaper price tag. So off I go and made the switch to that and see if Line6 would have some magic happening in their Helix products.

My first impression with Helix was, that "what have i done!" :confounded: It Wasn't anything like Axe FX II or AX8 or Amplifire... Well things got better after some time getting use to tweak the tones with Helix. In the end I was quite happy with it and really liked the interface of the Helix LT.

But I knew, that the things, that I miss are in the Fractal products and I probably just should have stayed "home" in the Fractal land. :) So after all this adventure between the different modelers I'm coming back to home in Fractal Audio. G66 is sending a AX8 in my direction and it should be here in few days.

I think, that I learned a lot new things how to tweak tones using all these modelers, using different tools and saw what were their strenghts and weak points. And now I'm 100% sure what tools I want to use to create and enjoy music.

Peace! :)

The thing is, you don't really know all this until you try it. You can read about the other product options in reviews or youtube videos, but the only person who knows if they are right for you is yourself. I think that journeys like yours are a good thing because you then know that what you have in the end is the best choice for you - and no one can change that but you.

The thing is, you don't really know all this until you try it. You can read about the other product options in reviews or youtube videos, but the only person who knows if they are right for you is yourself. I think that journeys like yours are a good thing because you then know that what you have in the end is the best choice for you - and no one can change that but you.

Could not agree more! Not the cheapest road to go, but in the end you know exactly, what is the right gear for you. I think, that I knew it before this grazy trip already, but went to see it anyway.

This X1000 & welcome Home son (aka DTS)!!! :D

Last edited:
I haven't really GASSED for anything else other than a backup rig which in the 11 years I have run FAS products I have never needed one. I think that speaks volumes for FAS products.

Reactions: DTS
Not all who wander are lost. :) Me thinks that your quest for the holy grail is nearly done. There is a lot of great gear out there,but the FAS gear is the best. I am continuously discovering new sounds with my AX8. It never get old or stale. Keeps me busier than a one-eyed cat watching 2 mouse holes.

Not all who wander are lost. :) Me thinks that your quest for the holy grail is nearly done. There is a lot of great gear out there,but the FAS gear is the best. I am continuously discovering new sounds with my AX8. It never get old or stale. Keeps me busier than a one-eyed cat watching 2 mouse holes.

I think you are right. The quest is over in my part for sure. Only new Fractal unit might change my mind in the future, when Axe FX II or AX8 gets significantly updated. AX8 will keep me busy as a cat burying s### on concrete. LOL :)

I had a feeling that you would be back.

I have been messing with the Helix off and on for a little over a month. There are some really cool usability features that I would love to see in the 'Wish List' thread for the Fractal line, but I gave up on the 'Wish List' thread long ago.

But the Helix is way behind on the modeling, IRs, pitch based effects, routing options, internal controllers, etc........

I would think that it was really awesome, if I never tried the Axe-Fx and AX8....I'm not going anywhere!

I would think that it was really awesome, if I never tried the Axe-Fx and AX8....I'm not going anywhere!

Yeah, i think a lot of the love, that Helix gets from users (TGP) are from guys, that have never used Fractal products. Watching comparisons from youtube is only 50% of the truth IMO. You have to use the units yourself to really see and feel the differences. And I agree, that there are major differences. Just like you said.

Hey DTS. Why are you going back to AX8? I'm not sure if I should buy it, especially considering that in Europe it costs twice as much as the Helix LT (1500 vs 800!). My gut feeling tells me to go with Fractal, but I'm curious about your AX8-Helix-AX8 experience.

Thanks!

Could not agree more! Not the cheapest road to go, but in the end you know exactly, what is the right gear for you. I think, that I knew it before this grazy trip already, but went to see it anyway.
Agreed... but not uncommon..
If I had a dime for every variant of IEM's - from wired to wireless, from universals to customs - that I've gone thru over the last 7 yrs to get where I am now... I'd have saved enough to be able to but multiple FAS devices :)

Hey DTS. Why are you going back to AX8? I'm not sure if I should buy it, especially considering that in Europe it costs twice as much as the Helix LT (1500 vs 800!). My gut feeling tells me to go with Fractal, but I'm curious about your AX8-Helix-AX8 experience.

Thanks!

Fractal Audio has better amp modeling, amp options, factory cabs, effects (in general, Helix has it's jewels as well). IMO

Helix has great userinterface, build in audio interface, more in/out options.

I noticed, that I rarely used the Helix userinterface. 95% of the time i build my presets with the editor. As cool as it is, it didn't do much for me in the end. Built in Audio interface is great to have, but not necessary. My Focusrite scarlett 2i4 works great and the volume/level controls are easier to reach, 'cause it is on my table vs helix on the floor.

Helix LT is very tempting with it's features and price tag. That's the reason i bought it for. But in my case, I started to miss the tones I had in the AX8 + the awesome amount of amp choises it has.

You should try the 15day free trial of Helix Native if you haven't already. It has exactly the same tones, that Helix LT/Floor/Rack has.

Last edited:
I will check the Native trial, but I have ordered the AX8 :) sounds like we are looking for similar things, and I also plan to use the editor + my own interface.

Thanks for the detailed reply, much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom