Long road music

AlGrenadine

Legend!
Vendor
Hey guys,
I'll have a long road to holidays in few days,
What bands do you recommend for road trips ? :)

Last time i asked for a similar advise here i got very good results :)

To limit the style-range a little, i'd like things going from quiet and mind-traveling music like Mark Knopfler Privateering to heavy melodic shredding like Alter Bridge. I love Djent and Death Metal but not for holidays ;)

Thanks mates !

Traditional music keeps me awake and in a great mood when driving long distances.

If you like Irish traditional music try Dervish.

If you like Breton music try Kornog.

Paddy Glackin and Robbie Hannan are great also. I got a speeding ticket last time I listened to this driving long distance.

Natalie MacMaster is an unbelievable fiddler.

Traditional music keeps me awake and in a great mood when driving long distances.
Thanks mate, but not really my kind of music. I liked Mark Knopfler's album because it was guitar based but don't really like traditional music ;)
I forgot to say i tend to prefer guitar-based things ;)

Personally I like music I can sing along to in a car, because it puts me in a good mood. And if there is one place you need to be in a good mood its behind the wheel of your car. As bad moods and road rage are both bad for mileage and for your driving. When they were still recording I liked System of a Down a lot, especially the last two albums, as they featured a lot of vocal harmonies. I find that Rammstein also makes for good driving music. And currently Pink Floyd has made it into my car stereo. Not the later stuff about money and brick walls, but the more interesting and experimental older stuff. Songs like Echoes and Atom Heart Mother I can listen too indefinitely. And with lengths of 24 minutes each perfect for long distances. And check the version that the Pisotones did of Atom Heart Mother. Their guitarist posts here. Their cover version is excellent. especially the vocal solo. But then again it should be as they are a PF tribute band.

I’ve been listening to The National pretty much non-stop the past couple of months with the exception of a few jazz records or stuff I have to learn. The albums Boxer, High Violet and Trouble Will Find Me are all good, front to back. It’s definitely moody, relaxing, road trip music.

mark knopler’s “the ragpicker’s dream” is one of my favorites.
chet atkin’s album with a bunch of guitarists including Knopler, there’s a tune called Sunrise where Chet plays with George Benson...that tune is from the heavens.

mark knopler’s “the ragpicker’s dream” is one of my favorites.
chet atkin’s album with a bunch of guitarists including Knopler, there’s a tune called Sunrise where Chet plays with George Benson...that tune is from the heavens.
Excellent :)

Joe Robinson is great for both songwriting, singing and guitar playing.

I like his most recent 2 the best (Gemini Vol 1 & 2), however it's all really good stuff.

And this tune, which reminds me a lot of Knopfler in certain regards:

I am also a big fan of Flying Colors - nice prog super group!

Steely Dan is great for driving.

An Evening with the Allman Brothers is good, but you gotta play it loud!

I like listening to a bunch of different styles of music and playing them in random / shuffle mode, so you don't know what you're going to hear next.

* Richie Kotzen
* Clutch
* Chon
* Soundgarden
* Greta Van Fleet
* Emmure - this is just to wake you up if you start falling asleep while driving ;)

I especially like to listen to longer pieces when I'm on a road trip, since there often isn't time on short drives. So prog rock - Yes, ELP, Flower Kings, DT... and jambands - Phish, String Cheese, the Dead, etc get a lot of play time on long drives.

I just did the 8 hour drive from Salt Lake to move to Denver and that was the basic thing once I woke up in the morning (I started w/ some downbeat electronica to ease into the day). The only bummer was when my wife would call me from her car and it would interrupt whatever awesome jam was going down ;-)

Ayreon - Into the electric castle. Nice rock/metal opera with Phish on vocals. Made in Holland afaik.
Fish, not Phish on vocals. That threw me for a minute. :)

@AlGrenadine well I'll recommend some actual Phish. They put out a free sampler every summer called Live Bait. Volume 14 just dropped and is a great set of tracks. You can get it here: http://www.livephish.com/browse/music/0,1214 -- that 8/22/15 Magnaball Tweezer > Prince Caspian that ends the sampler is STELLAR. I think all the past Live Bait albums are on livephish.com for free as well. All of them are excellent samplers.

For a studio album that's great for driving I recommend Billy Breathes. It's "radio friendly" Phish and great rock-n-roll for driving music.

Their first, live album -- which was a mix of shows over a summer run -- called A Live One is also great.

If you have an Apple Music subscription check out either of these albums. They're stellar end-to-end shows:
  • LivePhish, Vol. 11 11/17/97
  • LivePhish 5/8/93

Back
Top Bottom