Lonestar Overdrive parameter

Scrumpy

I don't remember if this is a new parameter, but when I turn it all the way down to clean up the amp, the volume goes to zero. Is this intentional?

So what you are saying is if you turn the Overdrive to zero you are surprised that you get no volume. What do you think should happen?

I was trying to clean up the tone so I was expecting it to be a clean sound with no overdrive. Similar to the Drive parameter on the distortion effect. There are many parameters that when set to zero still yield sound, so I don't believe it was that ridiculous of an assumption?

AMP block parameters - Axe-Fx II Wiki

The Overdrive parameter is the Overdrive control on amps which have two gain controls.
Such as: Dumble, Carol-Ann, Fryette, Mesa Mark and others.
It controls the amount of overdrive. Since it's still a gain stage control, it does affect the volume level.

BTW, I know quite a few pedals, where turning down Drive/Gain also decreases the output level to whisper level.

It's like a second volume control but in the middle of the preamp circuit. The two preamp gain controls let you control where in the circuit the bulk of the distortion is happening and you can get different shades of grit depending on how the two controls are set. Turning either one all the way down will give you no signal to the rest of the circuit.

It's like a second volume control but in the middle of the preamp circuit. The two preamp gain controls let you control where in the circuit the bulk of the distortion is happening and you can get different shades of grit depending on how the two controls are set. Turning either one all the way down will give you no signal to the rest of the circuit.

Understood, thanks! I am having issues with the latest update and wanted to make sure this wasn't part of it. I had been using the Elegant Gypsy preset almost exclusively to go from a clean to overdriven sound with an expression pedal controlling several parameters and I didn't remember the Overdrive working that way.

I was trying to clean up the tone so I was expecting it to be a clean sound with no overdrive. Similar to the Drive parameter on the distortion effect. There are many parameters that when set to zero still yield sound, so I don't believe it was that ridiculous of an assumption?

Hey, not at all. Perfectly valid question if you didn't know. I felt a bit of a cringe for you. IMO it would be nice if advanced users didn't belittle the less experienced for asking innocent questions.

Apologies - didn't mean to criticize nor did I notice his post count....

I'll just back away slowly now......

On the real Lone Star, you have to flip a switch to clean up the Lead Channel, essentially taking the extra high gain stage out of the circuit ("Drive" on the amp, "Overdrive" on the model). That leaves you with a clone of the Rhythm/Clean Channel but with slightly higher available gain. The Lead channel is pretty saturated with the extra drive on in the circuit, even at lower settings on the knob. I doubt the switch was modeled, so try using the clean channel model and crank the gain for rhythm tones.

Reactions: sam
It's all good. I will admit that I appreciate the people who actually answered the question rather than making me feel like an idiot; a little taken aback that a representative from the company (or so I assume) would be somewhat less than courteous, but I get it that he probably has to answer a lot of complaints that are from people just wanting to complain. In retrospect, a little more research on my part and I could have found the answer myself, so in that respect shame on me.

It's all good. I will admit that I appreciate the people who actually answered the question rather than making me feel like an idiot; a little taken aback that a representative from the company (or so I assume) would be somewhat less than courteous, but I get it that he probably has to answer a lot of complaints that are from people just wanting to complain. In retrospect, a little more research on my part and I could have found the answer myself, so in that respect shame on me.

I don't think it was an unreasonable question. I do own a couple of amps that still produce sound when the overdrive is turned all the way off.

I also don't think anyone was (intentionally) being discourteous; just reflecting the fact that most amps probably do cut the sound off when overdrive is off.

a little taken aback that a representative from the company (or so I assume) would be somewhat less than courteous

Couldn't agree more, here. You expect random people posting anonymously on forums to be a bit douchey. It's just how message boards go. But Fractal shouldn't have responded with sarcasm. At the very least, they should have just refrained from commenting at all. You *did* pay $2,500 to play in this particular sandbox. Customers shouldn't have to take shit from companies they support. Not cool, Fractal.

Couldn't agree more, here. You expect random people posting anonymously on forums to be a bit douchey. It's just how message boards go. But Fractal shouldn't have responded with sarcasm. At the very least, they should have just refrained from commenting at all. You *did* pay $2,500 to play in this particular sandbox. Customers shouldn't have to take shit from companies they support. Not cool, Fractal.

I prefer that to companies not answering...

Back
Top Bottom