Lonely Boy riff (not the pitch bit)

tysonlt

Power User
Hey Ho! Just covering lonely boy, got the whammy part sorted, but I was wondering about emulating that synthy sound for the second riff. I tried ring mods (which I don't really understand, they sound bad when I use them) and synth - but I have zero knowledge of synth programming! Also tried just an octave up but it isn't the right sound. Any tips appreciated!

It’s a spitty fuzz (try Bender Fuzz) with a pitch shifter set to an octave up.

We cover that song as well - can you help me with what you mean by “second” riff - do you mean the one at the end? If so, I use whammy, 2 octaves up and hit 1st string 12th fret harmonic.

We cover that song as well - can you help me with what you mean by “second” riff - do you mean the one at the end? If so, I use whammy, 2 octaves up and hit 1st string 12th fret harmonic.
I mean the riff immediately after the opening riff (with the whammy). About 7 seven seconds in. Yek's suggestion of just adding a pitch up gets it pretty close.

This is the Lonely Boy you should be covering:

Funny... I thought the exact same thing. I recently wrote to Andrew Gold to offer to get together with him and show him the Axe-Fx III. I had no idea that he had passed away (in 2011). I received a very nice email from a family member saying that they thought he would have loved it. I listened to his greatest hits on repeat while doing all of the illustrations for the Axe-Fx III manual. Such a body of great work.

Yeah. I got the wrong 'Lonely Boy' as well.

Waddy Wachtel's guitar work in that song I loved. Also changed the way I looked at an LP, since I've never really considered using the neck pickup for all leads, and rhythm on bridge.

<thread hijack over>

If I’m not mistaken I think there is also some keyboard parts on that track which you might be hearing, so can be hard to get a guitar in isolation to match the recorded version

Great memories of listening to Lonely Boy as a kid when it first came out; was camping with my family at the time. Andrew Gold in the woods by the lake. Awesome. Other releases from that same year:

Songs in the Key of Life
Hotel California
Leftoverture
Dreamboat Annie
Wired
A Trick of the Tail
Wind and Wuthering
Fly Like an Eagle
Presence
Jailbreak
A Day at the Races
A New World Record
Frampton Comes Alive
Boston
Dirty Deeds
Wings at the Speed of Sound

All from 1976. Sometimes, a hijacker can lead you to a better destination.

Great memories of listening to Lonely Boy as a kid when it first came out; was camping with my family at the time. Andrew Gold in the woods by the lake. Awesome. Other releases from that same year:

Songs in the Key of Life
Hotel California
Leftoverture
Dreamboat Annie
Wired
A Trick of the Tail
Wind and Wuthering
Fly Like an Eagle
Presence
Jailbreak
A Day at the Races
A New World Record
Frampton Comes Alive
Boston
Dirty Deeds
Wings at the Speed of Sound

All from 1976. Sometimes, a hijacker can lead you to a better destination.
Folks tend to associate the 70s music with Disco more than anything but, just that list from 76 shows that a LOT of great music was coming out then!

Back
Top Bottom