Logic Users - Embedding some kind of timing alignment ???

mwd

Power User
I'm still getting weird latency issues with Logic 9 and Yosemite. It's like hitting a moving target. One time I record guitar and it's in alignment. Come back to do another track later and not touching anything the new track is 20K samples lagging. I think the 3TB drive is impacting recording performance. Or some iMac service that I can't pinpoint.

Regardless I want to try and tackle this from a different direction.

I have an audio 4 count click on track one. Does anyone know how I could embed that in a live track as I am recording?

Like loop it back to record it and my guitar simultaneously. Since it's only a measure long it would go silent but maybe I could even automate the track to mute or kill an I/O plug or something.

Then I could align the clicks more precisely.

Or any other ideas?

Getting desperate here I'm not starting out with that much hair in the first place.

in Preferences>Audio>General do you have plug in latency enabled for 'all"?

i'm wondering if you have a plugin that is causing the incoming audio to record with latency

Plugins on the master bus are not compensated. Make sure to disable them.

How are you monitoring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Latency all' is checked, I monitor via phones thru Mix Control. This is a weird issue that within a given project one time will be pretty much spot on (within the latency of the audio card) to the next time I fire up the project being crazy off. It also happens in MIDI. Honestly I think it's a hard drive, service or Yosemite issue.

When I was on a Windows box I knew how to tweak a drive and services for audio. Because you had to in those days. But I don't see much I can do on this iMac.

I was sitting here staring at my count in click sticks thinking if I could embed those in the track I am recording it would make a nice alignment or sync tool.

i think logic will capture the audio you record during that count in. maybe you could try hitting the strings in time. if it doesn't, give yourself 2 bars lead in and leave the click running and hit the strings on the second bar. when you play back the file, turn on the click and loop that bar with the hits. you can then check and adjust alignment.

I've had strange things happen when apps are fighting over audio devices. Axe runs 48k but your other audio is probably 44.1k. So, if iTunes or safari with a YouTube video is running things can get interesting - especially if they are sharing the same interface.

Try making sure logic is running alone to rule that out since it doesn't seem to happen every time.

You can always force system audio to 48k in "AudioMIDISetup". Hmm, but watch out for your iTunes playing back faster. Not at my machine so I forget what scenario that happens in.

I can' give you a reason for the intermittent behaviour but I can sympathise. I have this same problem, I don't find it too hard to line the parts up however.

Doesn't Yosemite need Logic Pro X..?
thinking.gif

I may have completely dreamt that!

FWIW I realize on the 48 to 44.1 conversions. Axe does a great job as an audio interface. But I have been running the Axe into my Saffire 40 via the balanced analog outs just because balancing my live to already recorded tracks is so much easier for me with the Mix Control software and it also assures that I am going 44.1 to 44.1.

I've got Logic X and we're not friends yet. Boneheads destroyed the workflow of the audio editing pane and frankly a lot of other stuff that just worked and didn't need changing. Layout wise.

Simeon I've actually tried the string tap :) I was wanting to get very critical on the latency stuff. Even the 'normal' latency.

If I could just get embed a code or click in every track I record alignment would be so much easier. With this Mix Control I was thinking I might could take the output of Track 1 (click) and blend it back in with the Axe guitar track I am recording as I record it. But I'm just not seeing how to do it.

Last edited:
yeah, i don't think there's any way to do it without setting up a feedback loop. i was going to suggest routing the output of the track you're recording to back to the axe input 1 right and then treating it and the guitar signal like a stereo input with separate chains for left and right. it all gets very complicated and will probably end up with a feedback loop.

i would suggest this instead. work out exactly how many ms (or samples) your recorded track is delayed by recording a click from a drum machine and then aligning it with the onboard metronome or a drum loop. then all you need to do is move your recorded track by exactly that number of samples to compensate.

no, it's the other way round. logic x is 64 bit, so needs yosemite to run. you can run logic studio as a 64 bit app, so it will run fine on yosemite and all the other os back to 10.6

This is incorrect. I run it on Maverick with no issues. However all plugins need to be 64 bit or to use a 32-64 bit 3rd party bridging software to run.

Yep Mavericks began the screwing of Logic 9 and Yosemite took over. Had it not been for Axe Edit, which I love, I would have reverted back to 10.6.

Simeon I came on here this morning, after laying in bed thinking about this all night lol, to ask about some of the same stuff you mentioned. I have a 4-count audio click on Track 1 already and thought about routing that out of the Saffire 40 and into one of the inputs on the back of the Axe. It it possible to blend the back inputs with the front input without screwing something up. Tone or hardware wise? That would be the best scenario, theoretically, because it wouldn't be just mixing it with the Axe signal it would be piping it thru the Axe just as my guitar is. Well except if my preset has delay effect. Hmmm.... could what's coming in the back have it's own clean block in the preset?

route it into input 1 right

make a separate line from input to output in your preset

at the beginning of this new line, place a volume block and set the "input select" parameter to "right"

put a volume block at the beginning of your guitar signal chain and set "input select" to left

jump all the way over to the output mixer in the patch, hit enter to edit it and pan the two rows you have in the preset hard left and right

go to the I/O audio menu and set input 1 to stereo

set up a track in logic to record to and make it stereo

you should get the click on one side and the guitar on the other

drop the utility>gain plugin on the track and then you can use the left/right in that plugin to select which of the sides you want to hear. the pan pot on the channel will work as normal

this is fine if you usually record in mono

Good tips above for routing the click.

I also run analog in to reduce some of the issues I mentioned above.

So, there are fewer options for what can be causing the sync delay. Do you have plugins on any of your tracks? If so, try a session with them all disabled. Is that better? Some plugins don't report their delays to logic properly. There are a plugins out there that just report latency so you can force things to be in sync.

You should try the latency to "software and audio" setting.

Hopefully you have software monitoring off and are monitoring direct through your interface.

I could keep going with ideas, or PM me if you want to do an iChat later in the week - that may be quicker.

OK great ideas. I record in both mono and stereo depending on the exact preset. But I could record a latency test track right before I did normal guitar recording.

Fractalz with or without plugins this stinking problem is intermittent. The only thing worse than a problem is an intermittent problem...lol. I would love to know which latency reporting plugs you are talking about. I know about the I/O plug will measure the audio interface latency with a loopback.

I've used this one (interface is meh, but it works):

Expert Sleepers - Latency Fixer

There are others out there. I had a plugin that wasn't reporting latency so I used this.

In *theory* Logic is going to work the same each time (the code doesn't change), so I wonder if the interface is doing something wonky? Have you tried "rebooting" the interface?

I guess to solve this, we need to figure out what is changing between sessions. Is it happening after a restart of everything (first session) or does it happen some time later? Has the machine gone to sleep and then things are wonky? etc...

Definitely no software monitoring fractalz. What makes it kind of hard is I went from a 1TB Seagate 7200RPM drive to a 3TB 7200RPM drive, bumped the memory from 8GB to 32GB, went from 10.6 Snow Leopard to Mavericks to Yosemite all at the same time. My rig runs 24/7. I reboot occasionally just to freshen. This is not the only anomaly in Logic 9 since all the upgrades. I get 'sticking' for lack of a better word. Whereas I tap on spacebar several times to stop playback and it keeps going.

Finally it catches up and stops. It does these things even without the audio interface turned on many times. So it seems like a Logic 9 vs Yosemite issue or a hard drive issue.

Back
Top Bottom