Logic recording entire live show using x32

Keg8605

Power User
RECORDING Newbie here: Figuring some of you here should have some extensive experience recording live shows. I want to try recording my bands entire live show (or at least set 1) for the first time.

My setup-
Interface: Behringer x32 Producer USB 16 Channels (All I need)
Computer: Early 2011 Macbook Pro 15 i7 2ghz. Installed 256 gb SSD for OS and placed 500 gb Hard drive in optical bay (5400 RPM)

Recording: Logic Pro X

What I'm wondering is do I need to get an external 7200RPM hard drive to record to or should I be ok with sending it to the installed hard drive?

I had no problems recording one song at practice yesterday with all 16 tracks...however i don't know if it was recording to the HD or SSD. It was awesome to be able to play it all back through the x32 though and have a virtual in ear sound check. Pretty cool.

Thanks for any tips.

I've never had an issue with my win7 laptop and I am recording 32 tracks with my x32 producer using ableton live 9.

Logic writes the buffered audio in to the scratch sub-directory for the project. So as long as the project was saved on the HD, not the SSD, you were recording to the HD and your test was valid.

You may find this handy: http://lightheadsw.com/caffeine/ -- that'll keep the machine alive, no sleeps, for any period of (indefinitely if you wish).

I record on a Windows Vista Machine (which sucks....but it's my beater laptop).
I need to run an external drive when recording 16 tracks from my XRack.
If I try with just my laptop drive....it crashes after a few minutes.
I'm recording 50 minutes straight.

Just my experience. I'm using Sonar by the way.

I used to record 32 tracks off of an X32 on my mid 2009 MBP. I had maxed the RAM (4gig I think) and had a 7200 rpm drive. Still, I recorded at least 45 minutes straight a few times with no issues. 16 tracks should be cake. What I want to do next is record a set in Logic off of the board and then dry guitar tracks off the Axe and then re-amp back thru the board. If you setup the X32 as your playback device you can mix the recording on the board with all the same settings. That way I can really dial in my guitar tone in the room and in the mix without anyone having to play.

Awesome, thanks for the replies. I did some more testing last night and recorded a little over an hr successfully. I changed the project file to record to my HD too before testing again. It was sending to the project file on the SSD originally. I'd imagine it couldn't hurt to pick up one of the ext. hard drives for recording but at least for now I can start playing around with it.

Absolutely loving the x32 now that I have my head wrapped around it a bit more. Being able to soundcheck one song and play it back through to adjust in-ear mixes is incredible.

How much ram do you have in the MBP? I've been reading a lot lately on upgrades to the early '11s (I have one as well), and it's noted that even though the lit says it can only tale 8GB, you can actually install and have it recognize 16.

I also read something yesterday about where to place which drive (when adding an SSD)- they say it's better to put the SSD in the optical bay spot. The bay has no shock protection (which the HDD needs but the SSD doesn't), and the software that will shut the HDD off doesn't seem to be enabled for that SATA connector. Also, on the 2011 units the primary hard disk slot supports SATA III & 6Gbps connectivity - the SATA port in the optibay is only SATA II, 3Gbps.

You should also download the SSD fan ctrl and set it to SMART for the HDD. People have complained about fan noise and heat issues before doing so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUWdYKrT1tc

How much ram do you have in the MBP? I've been reading a lot lately on upgrades to the early '11s (I have one as well), and it's noted that even though the lit says it can only tale 8GB, you can actually install and have it recognize 16.

I also read something yesterday about where to place which drive (when adding an SSD)- they say it's better to put the SSD in the optical bay spot. The bay has no shock protection (which the HDD needs but the SSD doesn't), and the software that will shut the HDD off doesn't seem to be enabled for that SATA connector. Also, on the 2011 units the primary hard disk slot supports SATA III & 6Gbps connectivity - the SATA port in the optibay is only SATA II, 3Gbps.

Think you may have flown over my head there Scott. I'll do some reading. I have the 8gb still, I remember reading I could upgrade to 16 but haven't really noticed any reason to yet.

Regarding the shock protection in the optical bay, I'm not sure but from everything I had read this was really the only option. It seems to have been working just fine. I bought the parts here to move it to the optical bay.
OWC Data Doubler: Now 2 Drives in 2008 or Later MacBook & MacBook Pro

Here's some of what they say on that page too

OPTICAL BAY: The optical bay interface may either be SATA Revision 2.0 3Gb/s (300MB/s max) OR SATA Revision 3.0 6Gb/s. There is no way to specify/order this data interface with Apple, but you can confirm what interface version your optical bay offers by using 'About this Mac, More Info, Serial-ATA' info display.

Testing has demonstrated that Apple factory hardware does not reliably support a 6G (6Gb/s) Solid State Drive or Hard Disk Drive in the optical bay of 2011 MacBook Pros (ModeI ID8,1; 8,2; 8,3). If your OWC Data Doubler bundle comes with a 6G drive, you should ONLY install that drive in the main drive bay and utilize the Data Doubler to re-task your existing drive or install a new 3G SSD or HDD in the optical bay. PRE-2011 models can utilize a 6G drive in the optical bay, but will do so at a reduced 3G (3Gb/s) speed.

Apparently the SATA revision worked like this- Apple silently modified the logic boards in the 2011 MBP models around the end of April or early May. The early model builds have the optical drive running on Port 2, which is running at SATA II (3Gb/s speed). The newer ones are running on Port 1 which is running at SATA III (6Gb/s speed).

I'm only able to record live with the x32 when my inputs are local. I can't use the stage boxes that is running to my board via ethernet cables. Is this normal?

I'm only able to record live with the x32 when my inputs are local. I can't use the stage boxes that is running to my board via ethernet cables. Is this normal?

Don't have a stage box myself but I do own the X32 compact which is fairly similar. Did you try seting up the proper routing on the card out tab of the routing screen ?

Edit:

BTW: better open a new thread rather than resurrecting a two years old one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom