Logic Pro X

Geezerjohn

Fractal Fanatic
Quick question for my friends here at the forum. I have been a pro tools user for many years. My old mac pro is slowly dying. I'm considering replacing it with a new iMac 5k and running Logic Pro X. I would appreciate hearing from any people familiar with Logic Pro X, who also know pro tools. Similarities? Differences?

Thanks in advance for any responses. And a shout out to Ian for helping with my 5k iMac questions.

The Geeze

I only used Pro Tools briefly, but have used Logic Pro X since. It was a snap to set up on a Mac, and still runs *pretty* well on my 2011 17' MacBook Pro with an old Duet. That part was a bit tricky to set up, since most times it remembers my setup, but occasionally I have to fiddle with Axe/Interface/MAC/MIDI to get things right again.

I set up using a low-end Casio full size piano key weight board out of MIDI to use the built in Logic X Bosendorfer and it sounds fantastic. Recording fast and easy, and editing sometimes a bit less so. I struggle with some latency, but this is generally because I'm using an old box...with what you're considering it won't be an issue.

This from someone who is not hugely conversant with these things, and it was relatively easy for me to figure out.

My 2 Cents.

I've used Logic for about 15 years.
When emagic owned it and when apple first took it over it was expensive and non-intuitive but it was a full figured gal insofar as capability.
Pan forward, Apple has done a bang up job of cleaning the interface and adding useful features...and now it's 200 bucks.
I used the stock linear phase eq the other day...and I love it! But boy has it changed with the latest version.
It has a spectral analyzer cooking while yer adjusting it....which good grief helps out a lot.

Don't know a lot about pro tools but I did not want to be chained to pro tools hardware.
Don't know if that is still the case but that's why I went the logic route.

it's a bit of a no-brainer really. logic is just terrific value for money, considering all the instruments plugins you get with it. they managed to mess up the B3 organ a bit, but with a couple of quick tweaks you can get it back to it's former glory. the recent plugin UI updates are really great though. i haven't used pro tools.

Thanks so much for the responses. It really helps me, and I am grateful the there is so much knowledge here at the forum. It is what a community should be.

Over the years I have amassed some excellent studio gear including a Hart Dynamics electronic drum kit, Yamaha Motif (full 88 weighted keys, Digi Rack 003, and a pro tools rig for recording. I know pro tools very well so starting down the path with new recording software is a bit unnerving. I am not sure of where I am headed, but I do know where I have been. I have a feeling I am headed out of my comfort zone. I have heard a lot of great things about Logic, and your replies confirms what I have been hearing. Thanks again y'all. Greatly appreciated.

it's a bit of a no-brainer really. logic is just terrific value for money, considering all the instruments plugins you get with it.
That's exactly how I look at it. I can't think of a better $200 DAW spend out there. The plugins and samples you get for the $200 are really excellent.

Quick question for my friends here at the forum. I have been a pro tools user for many years. My old mac pro is slowly dying. I'm considering replacing it with a new iMac 5k and running Logic Pro X. I would appreciate hearing from any people familiar with Logic Pro X, who also know pro tools. Similarities? Differences?

Thanks in advance for any responses. And a shout out to Ian for helping with my 5k iMac questions.

The Geeze

Pro Tools was my first DAW that I used for 12 years. This year I finally got a Mac and tried out Logic. There are some things that are not intuitive, but after you get past that, its almost cheating at how easy it to get great sounds. I have a 2015 Mac Book Pro with a 2.8 Ghz i7 16 GB RAM, and a Focusrite Clarett 8PreX. It is seamless and no latency. Best rig I've owned.

Back
Top Bottom