Logic Pro X released today. I knew it was coming.

Just got this yesterday, but haven't had time to delve too deeply into it.

Loving the new interface. I know the Logic 9 interface is a working mans tool, but it really seemed to lack that 'Apple polish', which Logic X seems to have. I am really interested in trying out 'Drummer' using other drum plug-ins like Steven Slate Drums, which I have read is possible with some tweaking.

I've also downloaded the iPad remote controller and will be using that so I can spread out my recording area a bit more for comfort.

To those with restrictive internet connections, just be warned that whilst the initial download looks like a nice small 600MB file from the App Store, once you start the install and start downloading all the Expansion packs and other goodies, you are looking at around 20 Gigabytes worth of downloads coming down the line, which takes time and bandwidth. Also, the installer needs you to enter the admin account password several times during the several hours it takes to download and install all the packs, so it isn't a 'set and forget' installation.

Well worth it in the end though! :)

I forgot to mention the Logic Pro remote for Ipad is really cool as well. We live in an awesome era. I got into computers back in the eighties just so I could do stuff like this. Now it's finally arrived.

I use this since 2011 with OSC touch on my 1gen iPad and Logic Pro 9.1 - works perfect ;)

While this looks like a great DAW, especially for the price, I don't really see the point in upgrading from 9. I think that autotune is an abomination :devilish: and I've already got toontrack. But drummer looks kinda like a watered-down toontrack - can you even program the drums yourself with the drummer plug? It looks like its all automatic from the videos I've seen - which would make it essentially useless for me as a composer.
I'm a bit surprised that in the 4 years or so since logic 9, all they could do is come up with is a drum machine, a melodyne rip-off, and make it visually more like GB. The soundcloud link is so gimmicky, haha. The ipad remote is kinda cool tho.
I hope they have actually improved the score editor like they claim... because it is horrible in 9!

Anywho, I'll be sticking with the ol 9 for now!

I think it'd be an excellent purchase. It's a solid value. Looking at what I spent on Logic 8, then 8 -> 9 and plugins like EZDrummer (which apparently are made somewhat obsolete by Logic X) the $200 Apple wants is a great price to pay.

Ezdrummer and all my midi packs work perfectly with Logic Pro X. I didnt even have to install them , it just knew where they were. I think its amazing.

While this looks like a great DAW, especially for the price, I don't really see the point in upgrading from 9. I think that autotune is an abomination :devilish: and I've already got toontrack. But drummer looks kinda like a watered-down toontrack - can you even program the drums yourself with the drummer plug? It looks like its all automatic from the videos I've seen - which would make it essentially useless for me as a composer.
I'm a bit surprised that in the 4 years or so since logic 9, all they could do is come up with is a drum machine, a melodyne rip-off, and make it visually more like GB. The soundcloud link is so gimmicky, haha. The ipad remote is kinda cool tho.
I hope they have actually improved the score editor like they claim... because it is horrible in 9!

Anywho, I'll be sticking with the ol 9 for now!

Well, lets hope that they update as often as Cliff then. I know they won't, but It will get better for you existing users I imagine.

For all you folks who have a mac and without a DAW, you need to give this a shot. I was playing with the midi note repeater and arpeggiator yesterday and they can create a really cool bed that you can add drums to to Jam over.

What about it do you find inspiring? Isn't it just a revamp of the old DAW?

No it is not. Yes, there's a lot that's like the old App. If it were not that way, more naysayers would howl about how Apple is a traitor to the pro users. ( hahaha ).
But there are many little things - OK just one example - move a region next to another one. You can choose if they collide, crossfade, overlap or shuffle. Very handy when editing.
Or certain other function like SNAP are easy to change without delving into key commands or drilling into menus.
The new content is really good and very modern, and usable. And more. Yes it's a revamp - no it's not.
Definitely fun to work with.

Back
Top Bottom