Logic Pro X released today. I knew it was coming.

But if macbooks take a similar approach to not letting me do it the way I want to, them that's not going to work with me.

No such problems here - working with macs since 1993 - now on a MBP 17" (mid 2009) and a Mac Mini (mid 2011) running on OSX 10.7 - and Logic 9.18 (which does the job for the next 20 years, at least). Since almost everyone bitching against apple (because it's hip to be against something) , I can understand why they tell you a lot of BS why this isn't possible and that isn't working - it's a very childish approach today with all this PC vs. Mac crap. iPads and other iOS-devices were originally designed as a simple to use daily life computer interface - it has absolutely nothing to do what apple might trust you or not, it's just not a "normal computer replacement". Simple - if you need a "normal computer", so don't buy a tablet, buy a normal laptop instead - simple!

ooh...btw. since FAS decided to bash apple too (regarding the still non-existing "real" driver and their needs to use host based clock instead of their device internal "far superior" clocking they used on their ASIO driver.....haha) you better considering a win based laptop because otherwise you would tell me it's my fault that your AE 3.0 wouldn't work properly in the near future. :lol

Does Apple do that with Macs too? I got me an iPad for unrealbook and other musicians apps that are just not going to be on Android. But I'm constantly slamming into walls because I want to do something Apple obviously thinks we should not be trusted with. Like file management. There is none on iPads. I have no idea what's on the thing. Apparently any app that imports a file saves it somewhere. But letting another app access the same file is apparently impossible if it isn't in the 'share' menu?

On my Android I'm using SwiftKey as a replacement keyboard and once you get used to that the apple keyboard is humongously annoyingly simple to the point of dumbness. It's a dinosaur. Irritates the kceh out of me every bloody time I use the thing. But apple thoroughly cemented the door shut to any keyboard alternative. And that's not all.

I was however considering a macbook to replace my laptop that decided to die on me last Sunday evening. It was pretty old... Served me well.
But if macbooks take a similar approach to not letting me do it the way I want to, them that's not going to work with me.

Using macs since 2005, Early 2009 MBP 17" with Logic 9.1.8

It's not a bad system at all, but I have a few niggling issues with this new Logic X. Firstly, the core processing..... it's ridiculous in the same way that Digidesign didn't implement automatic plugin delay compensation until everyone else had..... not to mention no off-line mix-down (in ProTools LE.... should clarify....).

Secondly, 64 bit plugin processing only. I work with a Focusrite Liquid Mix 32, and love the thing.... have to see about compatibility yet, but I'm assuming that it wont be. I just need to double check.

Third, Logic doesn't support offline processes like Izotope Spectral Edit.

Fourth, the lack of stereo splitting audio files...... it was much easier when I used Cubase......

Samplitude has it's own spectral edit, and region specific plugins, which I find immensely interesting! Also, I know where my stuff goes in a PC, and more people are allowed code for them.

In short, Logic was great! It suited me down to the ground, and I don't need an upgrade. when I do, it'll be to Samplitude.

Just got it, seems really cool so far. I JUST (like 4 days ago) started with Logic 9 (ive had it on my computer forever) so i just have to get used to the UI i think. Looking forward to growing with this program :)

On my Android I'm using SwiftKey as a replacement keyboard and once you get used to that the apple keyboard is humongously annoyingly simple to the point of dumbness. It's a dinosaur. Irritates the kceh out of me every bloody time I use the thing. But apple thoroughly cemented the door shut to any keyboard alternative. And that's not all.

Apple cemented the door to custom keyboards because there is simply no way to sandbox them, and Apple cares about security. By definition, keyboards see all your input. They can also send all your input elsewhere, if exploited. That's why I use the stock Google keyboard on my Nexus 7.

I noticed that wether you're upgrading (like me) or buying a new copy, it's the same price for all £139.99. Available only from the App Store. I guess, this is to combat problems with people that installed copies from disc, and the the App Store. I installed iWorks from disc and could never reinstall it from the App Store when I formatted my drive.

I noticed that wether you're upgrading (like me) or buying a new copy, it's the same price for all £139.99. Available only from the App Store. I guess, this is to combat problems with people that installed copies from disc, and the the App Store. I installed iWorks from disc and could never reinstall it from the App Store when I formatted my drive.

I think also that Pro X is a completely different app
Pro 9 installs over the top of Pro 8

but from what I understand, Pro X installs along side Pro 9
so after installing Pro X, you can still open and run Pro 9

to be honest....
I'm not sure that I've seen anything in Pro X that'd tempt me to buy it...
I'm still a little uncertain

I still have 8 & 9 working independently

I too haven't seen anything particularly compelling either... but we all like new shiny things!

The other thing from my perspective is that the system we have works very solidly in its live situation - don't want to bring potential bugs into it

Might just wait and see what gives

Sorry.

Shouldnt have derailed the thread like that.

Just the keyboard is bugging me daily. Even having to select a different language ten times a day because I communicate in English and Dutch a lot. Forgetting it means I look at the text and see it "checked" all wrong and I can start all over... Swift key detects the language you're using.

And instead of trusting a third party like swiftkey, that is making millions with legal apps and won't be when they get caught doing unwanted stuff, you just have to trust either Apple or Google who made the stock keyboards. And aaaaaallllllll of their employees that have access to the code and could slip in some lines...

I have nothing to hide. If I had I wouldn't be using whatsapp, or facebook. Or games. Or any apps for that matter. So i wouldn't need a smartphone. Or webshops. Or forums. Or the Internet. Probably wouldn't need a computer either...
No getting away from people finding stuff out about you. You are unsandboxable. Unless you maybe use proxies for everything and encrypt everything and not use all the stuff that makes life a bit easier. You can choose that.

Anyway, I better leave this alone. I have a friend that's an apple nut, so I'll ask him about a MacBook.

Apple cemented the door to custom keyboards because there is simply no way to sandbox them, and Apple cares about security. By definition, keyboards see all your input. They can also send all your input elsewhere, if exploited. That's why I use the stock Google keyboard on my Nexus 7.

Sorry.

Shouldnt have derailed the thread like that.

Just the keyboard is bugging me daily. Even having to select a different language ten times a day because I communicate in English and Dutch a lot. Forgetting it means I look at the text and see it "checked" all wrong and I can start all over... Swift key detects the language you're using.

And instead of trusting a third party like swiftkey, that is making millions with legal apps and won't be when they get caught doing unwanted stuff, you just have to trust either Apple or Google who made the stock keyboards. And aaaaaallllllll of their employees that have access to the code and could slip in some lines...

I have nothing to hide. If I had I wouldn't be using whatsapp, or facebook. Or games. Or any apps for that matter. So i wouldn't need a smartphone. Or webshops. Or forums. Or the Internet. Probably wouldn't need a computer either...
No getting away from people finding stuff out about you. You are unsandboxable. Unless you maybe use proxies for everything and encrypt everything and not use all the stuff that makes life a bit easier. You can choose that.

Anyway, I better leave this alone. I have a friend that's an apple nut, so I'll ask him about a MacBook.

Except, of course all those other apps (except for the browsers) don't see things like your bank password and the sites you go to, and the like. SwiftKey comes from the UK, which is notorious for its use of surveillance. More so than the US.

Been using Macs and PCs since 1981. Really. I was at the seminar given by IBM to resellers pre introduction to the first PC and was using Apple's Lisa back in the days.
Lots of ups and downs on both platforms.
After using all incarnations of each, I have settled on 98% Mac. It's been very reliable and friendly to use.
I use Pro Tools HD and Logic. Logic is so much easier to use FOR ME than Pro Tools. 9.xx is stable, sounds great, very much a composer's friend. PT HD is also great. It only costs 15 times as much and the "upgrade" path costs many times the cost of the full price of Logic.
So when Apple comes with a no crossgrade, no upgrade cost at less than the upgrade cost of any DAW out there, I have a hard time hearing people bitch about that.
I am not an Apple "fanboy", but I like what the company has to offer. And offering FCP and Logic at the prices they do - and what about their OS prices? - is pretty cool.

Deal with Avid a little. That should make Apple feel like the friendliest company out there. ;)

....Lots of ups and downs on both platforms...........So when Apple comes with a no crossgrade, no upgrade cost at less than the upgrade cost of any DAW out there, I have a hard time hearing people bitch about that..... and what about their OS prices? - is pretty cool.

Deal with Avid a little. That should make Apple feel like the friendliest company out there. ;)

You make great points. I've had a LOT of trouble with PCs, and the Mac problems I've had are to do with it hiding stuff.

As for the crossgrade, this is less of an issue for me, now that I've found out Logic X works alongside 9..... and their OS prices are SOOOO much more competitive than Windows... (Go away, Linux users... :p :D ;) )

With Apple, I'm constantly reminded of the Godfather.... "Just when I think I'm OUT, they go and drag me back IN!!!!" :D :D

All I own at the moment is Reaper, which is a no frills app. I'm definitely buying Pro logic X. I have watched a bunch of videos on Youtube, and the more I watch the more excited I get. $200 bucks is cheap for all the stuff they give you, just amazing.

I'm also not an apple fanboy - I use the suff since 1993 - and just because it works the way I want it to work! Simple......BTT: Logic X so far looks more of a Prosumer App - which is a good thing for most users who need a simple GUI , but then I don't need shiny looks, I need tools - Logic 9 still works, I'm not willing to change.....

PS: prosumer is just a marketing trick, it's not a real category ;)

Perhaps this may be useful to anyone wanting to look at whats new in Logic Pro X, there are 16 videos and 46 mins long.

Logic Pro Course: What

This is an interesting phenomenon, the application is released on the 16th and now it's two days later and feel like I know the app backwards and forwards because of all the videos I have watched since its release. Amazing the Tenacity of all these web educators, to have all this stuff done in a day or so. Just go to Youtube and search Logic pro X. All I did yesterday is a couple Informatica Mappings and workflows and make sure processing ran, not as exciting.

For $200.00 this is a STEAL (for new users). Space Designer and Delay Designer are easily worth twice that on their own. Too bad you can only use them in Logic.

For the prosumer however (who's been waiting 4 years for this release), it is an unabashed slap in the face.

PT10, then PT11.

For the prosumer however (who's been waiting 4 years for this release), it is an unabashed slap in the face.

Pros not Prosumer.....Pros don't need shiny looks and selfplaying drummer apps where they can choose from different drummers who even have different names (!!!) - Pros play the damn shit by them selfs. A Prosumer is just a marketing trick. Nuff said.....

;)

For me as a long term Logic user, it's not a slap in my face - I'm continuing using Logic 9.18 (because it works) and if I would ever change my setup again - Avid & ProTools would be my next partner, so simple.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom