Logic Pro Users

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
Hey guys, running into a bit of head scratcher. I've been using Logic for a long time, but haven't done a whole lot of mixing full demos with vocals and everything, mostly just recording stuff for writing/fun. Anyway, trying to demo out a song my band has been working on and am trying to be be smarter with my workflow so I was trying to buss all my electrics to a single buss for compression, basic eq tweaks, etc. Problem is, I lose the panning every time. I set the sends to "post pan", i don't have any mono plug ins present, but no matter what, I lose panning. The only way I've been able to work around is to set the output of the tracks themselves to the bus instead of the main bus. it works, but is that the way it SHOULD work? is that just Logic does it?

I normally send the channel strip outputs to a buss for grouped fx, like compression, EQ, etc. However, setting the send to post-pan should do what you're wanting it to do. Are you sure you have set them to post-pan?

absolutely. no matter what i lose stereo unless i set the track output itself to the aux/bus as opposed to the stereo out/main bus.

In Pro Tools,

The send target needs to be stereo (assume this is your case already:))

Then each send has it's own pan control that defaults to center. If the source track is stereo, the send would have stereo pan controls.

The channel pan only affects the channel output (again if the output target is stereo).

Finally the target aux has its own stereo pan controls too. So if the aux you are sending to has it's pan controls both in center, it would collapse to mono no matter what the sends are doing.

yes, just send the output of each track to the group buss and then make the output of the bus the main stereo out. that's how i've always done it. works fine.

yes, just send the output of each track to the group buss and then make the output of the bus the main stereo out. that's how i've always done it. works fine.

ok cool, that's what I was doing but didn't know if i had just missed something somewhere along the way. if it works it works!

Using Logic Pro X here too and have never had a problem with post pan sends. Maybe there's a preferences button that has been accidentally clicked or a keyboard shortcut that has been mistyped that changed something?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Use Summing Folders. very practical for what you're trying to do. It's like a VCA on a console. Once you've put all your drums into the folder, you can apply plugins to the entire folder while maintaining the integrity of the tracks within. Very cool function.

Use Summing Folders. very practical for what you're trying to do. It's like a VCA on a console. Once you've put all your drums into the folder, you can apply plugins to the entire folder while maintaining the integrity of the tracks within. Very cool function.

very cool, i've not messed around with those very much, but that makes a lot of sense. great tip, thanks!

I recently had a project in either 9 or X that had the same situation. Bad news is I can’t tell you exactly what I did to solve it but the good news is I did solve it and I will go back and try to recreate it but I can give you some ideas.

Set up your auxiliary strip and pop in your compressor or effect of choice. Now there are 2 ways to use it. Either pop a send into your guitar tracks pointed to your Aux channel and set the send level blending how much of the effect you want OR set the output of your guitar tracks to your Aux and the Aux to Stereo Out.

Keep in mind that if you inject a send on your guitar tracks you are blending your original signal with your treated signal parallel to the output. Your original tracks are pointed to Stereo Out and so is your Aux channel. So literally you have 2 instances of your guitar hitting output thereby giving you 2 pan controls in the equation also which may be jacking with you and I am thinking that depending on what effects you are selecting there are some that can take over your stereo image where you will lose audible panning.

Additionally there are some stereo images in the Axe (and other devices) that just don’t lend themselves to panning. The image is just too strong. One of my solutions, when layering a bunch of guitar parts has been going mono. Axe also sounds great in mono and sometimes the overall mix and panning map is far stronger.

Back
Top Bottom