Logic Pro + new Mac M1 (Big Sur)

Hey
I had to sell Cubase 10.5 Pro and buy Logic Pro for my new m1 chip Mac as nothing else runs on it properly (unfortunate)
At the same time, I was assured Logic Pro is just as good albeit missing some things.

my issue is virtual drum VST which none seem to work properly or at all.

does anyone have success with toontrack, fxpansion, slate or XLN in Logic Pro? How have you set it up?

so confuse with these non VST audio units, I know it’s brand new but these developers had months to update (XLN swears it works lol)

Besides that, can anyone show me a good tutorial on making heavy metal, thrash or 80s style era metal drums with drummer in logic ??

hope it’s not too much to ask but I’m in over my head without my drum VST despite Anders doing a decent job

I hear you can make it follow other midi or plug ins too

thanks for any tips

It does but it takes like 15% cpu usage , and then consider VSTs ! Logic Pro almost runs as if it’s not there
In that case, I don't understand what you're asking. Are you asking what DAWs and plugins run native on an M1? At this time, very few, but that will be changing in the coming weeks. In the meantime, almost all plugins and some DAWs work fine under Rosetta.

It does but it takes like 15% cpu usage , and then consider VSTs ! Logic Pro almost runs as if it’s not there

With Rosetta or by default.. what did you do for installation and for running? Any extra packs ?
I just used the regular launcher and I’m not sure if it’s using Rosetta or not, but I’m sure it is since last I checked, SSD doesn’t support silicon yet officially. I bought it when it was on sale in December banking on it being updated, but to my surprise, it worked immediately. I’ll be able to check after I get off work tonight.

I use the Logic Drummer that is built into Logic. It is awesome.

I add arrangement markers first: intro, verse, chorus, bridge, outro, etc and so forth.

Then, I insert a logic drummer track. Logic splits each song section to match my arrangement labels. Now I can highlight the entire drum track and change drummers, or make a song-wide setting - usally I do this with the choruses in mind. But, then I can highlight each section of the song individually, or maybe hold the command key and highlight all the verses, change a drum setting so they are all the same initially. Now, my choruses are the same from when I highlighted the whole song, and my verses, while different from the choruses, each match one another. Now, I can zero in on verse two and make it a little different than verse one so the song builds, and likewise for later choruses, etc. to introduce more humanlike variation. Lastly, I can split the song section blocks that Logic made while it mimicked my song arrangement markers, for instance, Logic will put a fill at the end of a section to lead into the next section automatically, but what if the section, let's say the chorus is pretty sedate, but for the fill, I want "FULL NEIL PEART MODE", I can right click on the chorus, convert it to midi, and then delete the last portion where I want the big fill, hit the plus sign that is hovering there in the empty section, to reinsert a new LOGIC drummer measure, then jack up all the custom settings to max, to get a crazy fill in that spot.

The reason I convert the region to midi first, is to prevent LOGIC from putting a fill right before the split. It always wants to end phrases with a fill, so you have to sort of "freeze" what it was doing before you create a split, otherwise, it will put a fill which will preceed your Neil Peart fill, and will not sound musical.

When I insert the drummer track, I choose a kit that fits the song. After I customize the song sections and fills, I then choose the PRODUCER + version of that same kit. Now, each drum is on its own audio track hidden in a drop down of the main drum track. Now I can insert EQ's or individual plugins for each drum surface individually, and also pan the drums any way that suits my mix.

In that case, I don't understand what you're asking. Are you asking what DAWs and plugins run native on an M1? At this time, very few, but that will be changing in the coming weeks. In the meantime, almost all plugins and some DAWs work fine under Rosetta.

your right; my question was sort of asking abut native m1, which aren't available yet, but will soon - I was more. or less asking what Rosetta 2 VSTs have been working because I got SSD4 to work for a little while and now I can't get it installed even

I use the Logic Drummer that is built into Logic. It is awesome.

I add arrangement markers first: intro, verse, chorus, bridge, outro, etc and so forth.

Then, I insert a logic drummer track. Logic splits each song section to match my arrangement labels. Now I can highlight the entire drum track and change drummers, or make a song-wide setting - usally I do this with the choruses in mind. But, then I can highlight each section of the song individually, or maybe hold the command key and highlight all the verses, change a drum setting so they are all the same initially. Now, my choruses are the same from when I highlighted the whole song, and my verses, while different from the choruses, each match one another. Now, I can zero in on verse two and make it a little different than verse one so the song builds, and likewise for later choruses, etc. to introduce more humanlike variation. Lastly, I can split the song section blocks that Logic made while it mimicked my song arrangement markers, for instance, Logic will put a fill at the end of a section to lead into the next section automatically, but what if the section, let's say the chorus is pretty sedate, but for the fill, I want "FULL NEIL PEART MODE", I can right click on the chorus, convert it to midi, and then delete the last portion where I want the big fill, hit the plus sign that is hovering there in the empty section, to reinsert a new LOGIC drummer measure, then jack up all the custom settings to max, to get a crazy fill in that spot.

The reason I convert the region to midi first, is to prevent LOGIC from putting a fill right before the split. It always wants to end phrases with a fill, so you have to sort of "freeze" what it was doing before you create a split, otherwise, it will put a fill which will preceed your Neil Peart fill, and will not sound musical.

When I insert the drummer track, I choose a kit that fits the song. After I customize the song sections and fills, I then choose the PRODUCER + version of that same kit. Now, each drum is on its own audio track hidden in a drop down of the main drum track. Now I can insert EQ's or individual plugins for each drum surface individually, and also pan the drums any way that suits my mix.

let me tell you something, that makes me very hopeful. that sounds amazing what you can do with it; do you have any tutorials you have used o r like? and do you have anything in the vein of metal we can hear? maybe listen to a sample? if possible not pressure

Thanks so much
This arrangement tool is so amazingly like inexplicably sick , it really makes this the best drum VST I found now, and this whole time I spent hundreds on XLN and Jamstix and SSD lol!!!

all I needed was a Mac and Logic Pro all these years !
Thank you again so much

This only thing I didn't show in the video is showing you that logic inserts a fill at the end of each song section/drum region. So, if you only want to make the fill different but leave everything else in that song section as is, you have to FIRST right click at that section, convert it to midi, so it is frozen as is, then put the play head at the spot you want to chop, COMMAND T to make a split seam, then delete the fill that you did not like. Now, you can click the plus sign in that little spot, and crank up the track ball, and other knobs to get the fill you want.

This can be carried over, for instance you want "jungle toms" in the first half of a verse, and then you want all out driving four on the floor for the second have of that verse. You can split the drum segment in to separate chunks, and then customize those individually. If you notice that Logic has placed a fill before the splice, you will have to "undo" the splice, and convert that whole section to a midi region, then create a splice, delete a midi region, hit the plus, to re-insert a new drummer region, and then change the drums - perhaps to something different, like a real drummer might do. Examples like the one above, or maybe transitioning from a hi-hat, to a ride during the middle of a chorus, or something like that.

Sometimes, I have also created a second logic drummer track, and then muted one, and the other, to A/B them and find what I like that way. Or, created 2 drummer tracks, one choosing the percussion kit and player, or beat box, and the other to be traditional drums, so I can have two totally customizable "layers" of percussion/drums in a song.

Cheers

Thanks so much
This arrangement tool is so amazingly like inexplicably sick , it really makes this the best drum VST I found now, and this whole time I spent hundreds on XLN and Jamstix and SSD lol!!!

all I needed was a Mac and Logic Pro all these years !
Thank you again so much
Tell your friends! I still have a lot of AAPL from my time there :)

I’m having a blast with this Mac DAW man

drummer is the best drum VST I’ve ever seen!!! And it’s inherent to free GarageBand! Apple rules
My only frustration is that there isn’t a Neil Peart super duper kit with 29 drums and 87 cymbals.
But maybe there is a way to make a custom kit so there are everything from 8” Toms to massive floor Toms? I don’t know.

My only frustration is that there isn’t a Neil Peart super duper kit with 29 drums and 87 cymbals.
But maybe there is a way to make a custom kit so there are everything from 8” Toms to massive floor Toms? I don’t know.
Look at the producer kits. It expands the kit into individual tracks. You should be able to duplicate and retune some of them to have more Toms, cymbals, etc.

Honestly their drum set kit editor is amazing
You can make almost anything you want with a few tweaks

I can’t believe I had to sell my windows 10 cubase 10.5 pro and my iPad Pro to get a Mac mini and Logic Pro and that’s all I wanted for a decade

what a waste of time

Back
Top Bottom