• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Locking tuner replacement for these tuners?

iaresee

I’d like to swap these Fender split-post tuners out for locking tuners. Preferably without having to fill or drill holes on the headstock.

Any suggestions on what I should replace them with?

shatteredsquare

Fractal Fanatic
Anything good you'd probably have to widen the holes for, I only use Schaller locking tuners (not Sperzel), drill the hole out to be ever so slightly smaller than the tuner, press-fit the peanuts out of them into the hole, the extra pressure plus the fact it basically adds 3 pounds of metal to the headstock translates to sustain like you'd get out of a grand piano. sorry for blathering

16:1 ratio, they're 1-better! And heavy!

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...haller_Locking_6-In-Line_Guitar_Machines.html

Last edited:

ChristThePhone

Fractal Fanatic
I prefer tuners with thumb screws over ones with a slotted posts. Had Gotohs with slotted posts in my ESP Eclipse and ruined one because I tried turning it the wrong way to loosen it. Replaced them with Schallers and never looked back.

Rich G.

Experienced
Excellent tuners. But keep a screwdriver or a dime in your case. Sometimes it takes a tool to make them let go of the string.
Reminds me of story... I had locking tuners that required a screwdriver or a coin to unlock. I broke a string during a gig and couldn't find a coin to undo the locking screw. I went up to the mic and asked (in front of a packed house) "Does anyone have a quarter I can use? I need it to unlock the string.". It rained quarters on stage for a little while. lol.

Top Bottom