Lock? Shift? Knobs? Big Rollbar\Handle?

Robboman

Fractal Fanatic
FAS-027-top.jpg

Let's talk about AX8 stuff other than 'when?' Until the manual is posted, I'll start with a couple thoughts based on the picture:

1). Fricken LOVE the amp control knobs with the green LED rings around them! Gonna be so much quicker to tweak stuff on the fly.

2). What's the deal with that SHIFT / LOCK button? Shift seems obvious (alternate functions as labeled). Lock has a double down-arrow.. does it mean you double click that button and all buttons and knobs safety lock? So you can't accidentally mess up your settings?

3). From FX8 experience, that handlebar thing can get in the way when you try to step on the switches closest to it, but on FX8 it's only an issue with one switch (the top center one). This AX8 bar is longer, so switches 6, 7 and 8 will be less foot friendly. I'd probably try to assign those 3 to less-often used functions.. any other ideas? Maybe it's just me, but especially since I sing a lot while playing I often step down the tip of my toe ON the bar and miss the switch.

i too have a bit of trouble hitting switch 3 on the FX8 (it's in the top row under the bar) without a bit of practice beforehand. but i'd rather have the bar there preventing me from stepping on the controls by accident.

we'll have to see how the bar affects use of the AX8 switches. i bet, however, if every unit we used had a bar in a similar place, we'd not have any issue. it should just take practice and habit.

I agree the bar is really annoying on the fx8 i have. I always the thought bar should be moved to the top panel on the fx8 and the ax8. See photoshopped file. In my opinion that would be much better.

Attachments

• ax8.jpg
    ax8.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 78
it's probably stronger attached to the main case, not through the display cover as well. just a guess.

The top panel is bolted to the main case. The same holes could be used.

It may not be possible depending on how it's assembled. It almost looks like the display cover is a drop in module that holds the LCD, buttons etc, which are mounted on a PCB on the rear, all clipped on to the main PCB mounted inside the chassis.

Same here; the handlebar is definitely needed for people that are clumsy as I am.

I can't even count the number of times I hit a button wrong and almost accidentally stepped on a second button on the MFC. In case of the AX8, that would be the sure death of the UI knobs and buttons. Good thing the handlebar prevents this.

Very quick squats, use of right hand and strong hammeron/pull off techniques can handle this...

I agree the bar needs to exist, gotta protect those knobs. It gets easier with practice (speaking of the FX8 switch 3), but I'm gonna expect a lot of forum complaining from future AX8 users. I'll also say.. it's surprising how handy that thing is as a handle. When you want to reposition the thing on the floor you grab it with one hand.

Why do the switches number upwards from top to bottom row on FX8, and bottom to top row on AX8?

Thats funny but true. Whenever I buy a new shoe it has to be pointed on the end somehow, just so I can hit the pedals on my MFC just right.

BTW, the FX8\AX8 has a bit wider switch spacing than the MFC. The bottom row is great with any shoes (mind you I'm only size 10..)

IMG_1785.JPG

BTW, the FX8\AX8 has a bit wider switch spacing than the MFC. The bottom row is great with any shoes (mind you I'm only size 10..)

IMG_1785.JPG
That is good to know. I'm 10 1/2. I have wide feet though, it sucks. I love seeing blinky lights next to each other.

That is good to know. I'm 10 1/2. I have wide feet though, it sucks. I love seeing blinky lights next to each other.

Phhh. 12.5 here. I don´t want the FX8/AX8 the least bit bigger. It is fine just like that. I rather put the FX8 on the side, a box of beer right behind it, with the knobs pointing towards my feet and I kick in where I need to, lol. Needs some exercise, especially the x/y switching. But the FX8 will take this without remorse, no doubt.

I agree the bar needs to exist, gotta protect those knobs. It gets easier with practice (speaking of the FX8 switch 3), but I'm gonna expect a lot of forum complaining from future AX8 users. I'll also say.. it's surprising how handy that thing is as a handle. When you want to reposition the thing on the floor you grab it with one hand.

Why do the switches number upwards from top to bottom row on FX8, and bottom to top row on AX8?

Seems to me that they could make a replacement bar that goes in the same holes but isn't straight across

FAS-027-top.jpg

Let's talk about AX8 stuff other than 'when?' Until the manual is posted, I'll start with a couple thoughts based on the picture:

1). Fricken LOVE the amp control knobs with the green LED rings around them! Gonna be so much quicker to tweak stuff on the fly.

2). What's the deal with that SHIFT / LOCK button? Shift seems obvious (alternate functions as labeled). Lock has a double down-arrow.. does it mean you double click that button and all buttons and knobs safety lock? So you can't accidentally mess up your settings?

3). From FX8 experience, that handlebar thing can get in the way when you try to step on the switches closest to it, but on FX8 it's only an issue with one switch (the top center one). This AX8 bar is longer, so switches 6, 7 and 8 will be less foot friendly. I'd probably try to assign those 3 to less-often used functions.. any other ideas? Maybe it's just me, but especially since I sing a lot while playing I often step down the tip of my toe ON the bar and miss the switch.

Shift Lock is press and hold. Now the Shift functions are engaged until you press Shift again.

Thanks Joe.

Maybe my 'Gig Lock' feature could be a future consideration? I like the idea of locking out all controls other than the footswitches at the gig, once everything is set perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom