Wish Lock preset from overwrite feature

How would this work? What would it look like or what would happen?
Something in the Dropdown that would prevent that preset from being overwritten, then perhaps a pop up offering to either unlock or copy to blank preset. What happens after the blocking is subjective, but the function to lock the preset from further tweaking or heaven forbid what I did, overwrite it with another preset entirely, I could and would really use.

It would be nice to have a little (per-preset) padlock icon somewhere that when locked won't allow the Save function to work for that 'locked' preset/slot. Including importing a preset into a locked slot.

You would be prompted with options like 'temporarily un-lock and save', 'save to a new location', 'cancel', etc...

Last edited:
Do not forget to frequently backup your presets ;)

That can also be achieved with the Save Preset function. It protects a preset so you can recover it if you delete it accidentally

Another fast and efficiency way to save a preset is to click the Snapshot Button (the camera at the upper right)

Last edited:
It would be nice to have a little (per-preset) padlock icon somewhere that when locked won't allow the Save function to work for that 'locked' preset/slot. Including importing a preset into a locked slot.

You would be prompted with options like 'temporarily un-lock and save', 'save to a new location', 'cancel', etc...

Would it still allow changes to Global Blocks?

If you're that worried about overwriting a preset, why not just export it to you computer and back it up to a disk or the cloud or something?

Would it still allow changes to Global Blocks?
I have never used 'Global Blocks' so I hadn't thought of how that would be affected. Maybe that could be added to the warning dialog if any 'Global Blocks' are in the currently edited preset?

I can only see a practical application of a write protection feature on-stage, because at home we can keep our safe backups at the computer

If you are afraid of a kid overwriting a preset messing with the buttons while you are not looking, perhaps a generic "write-protect" feature under the Setup/Utilities menu would be sufficient. Or maybe it could only write-protect the first 50 or 100 presets, so you make sure that you keep your live-set presets on these positions and let the kids mess with the other ones.

It can even just be a toggleable function of a popup "are you sure you want to overwrite this preset"? I'd have been saved from shooting myself in the foot.

I can only see a practical application of a write protection feature on-stage, because at home we can keep our safe backups at the computer

If you are afraid of a kid overwriting a preset messing with the buttons while you are not looking, perhaps a generic "write-protect" feature under the Setup/Utilities menu would be sufficient. Or maybe it could only write-protect the first 50 or 100 presets, so you make sure that you keep your live-set presets on these positions and let the kids mess with the other ones.
That's the problem really..... A pain in the ass kid or twat pressing buttons behind your back

FWIW, I always keep copies of my “gotta have” presets in the waaaay upper storage registers just in case.
Or, as Foghorn Leghorn used to say: “Fortunately, Son, I said fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an occassion...”

Still, +1 on the “little padlock” idea — although Yek’s “what about global blocks?” remains a great question.

It can even just be a toggleable function of a popup "are you sure you want to overwrite this preset"? I'd have been saved from shooting myself in the foot.

When I am working with any editor (not only the Axe-FX, also the DAW, Microsoft Office, etc) I have the habit of pressing the Save button every few modifications. Having to go through a popup confirmation dialogue would be a burden

When I am working with any editor (not only the Axe-FX, also the DAW, Microsoft Office, etc) I have the habit of pressing the Save button every few modifications. Having to go through a popup confirmation dialogue would be a burden
So don't write-protect anything, at least not stuff you're modifying a lot. Why would you do that?

Exactly. The origin of this petition comes from a user that accidentally did overwrite a valuable preset. That can happen with or without write protection if you have not made a backup before editing. The root of the problem is lack of backup copies.

Back
Top Bottom