Loading Cab IRs - Think I'm doing something wrong...

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
Can someone please tell me how to load cabinet IRs properly? I've just done a test and it appears my IRs aren't loading into the user slots as I previously thought. Got the MIDI cables hooked up properly. I'm selecting the cab block, going to PG2, CAB parameter, and then using Sysex Librarian to load the IR (I'm using Red Wires), but the sound isn't changing. I've tried an empty IR slot and nothing's appearing in there. What am I doing wrong? :?

Stringtheorist, since you said you're using a Sysex librarian (and as far as I can tell, the reply from goodwill559 pointed out by guitarded provides instuctions using the Editor)...

You need to edit a cab block, and select a user slot (empty or not, but an empty one will make it that much more obvious that it worked when it does). So for example, edit your cab block, page over and select the cab model, turn the value dial to get to User1 or whichever one you choose to replace, and *then* send the .syx file using your Sysex librarian tool. The upload of a user cab replaces the user slot that is presently *selected* (unlike the old method, no longer applicable, where you had to edit the .syx file to indicate the user slot in the seventh byte).

If you've done all that (I couldn't tell for sure), then maybe provide a few more details. Someone will be able to help.

Daniel

Just use the editor or even the old editor and you'll see the 'midi' light on the Axe-FX flash and hear it 'pop' once it loads into the Axe-FX. It's very simple and nothing to be afraid of doing.

Dpoirier said:
If you've done all that (I couldn't tell for sure), then maybe provide a few more details. Someone will be able to help.
Yes, that's what I'm doing. Whichever user preset I have loaded, when I get to the end of the loading cycle there's a short blip as I hear the tone change and then it instantly reverts to the original sound.

Here's something else that's weird... Inside some of my presets, when I go to the User IR slots there's a cab loaded into User 4 (I added a bunch of IRs some time ago although I don't remember which ones). However, in other presets when I go to User 4 there's nothing there! What's up with that? :shock:

The new editor has been working great for me, especially loading IRs. The preset manager is not that pretty to look at but it works.

Make sure you are loading the user IRs into "Cab block 1" not "Cab block 2" for some reason the axe-fx wont upload a user IR into a User slot if you are trying to do it through the second instance of a cab block, not sure why, but I had this issue once already and it almost killed me trying to figure it out lol ;)

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Yes, I am trying to load Cab 2 since all my presets already have Cab 1 set up for output 2. WTF? What's the point of having two outputs if you can't set them both up the same way?

Stringtheorist said:

Yes, I am trying to load Cab 2 since all my presets already have Cab 1 set up for output 2. WTF? What's the point of having two outputs if you can't set them both up the same way?

He's saying you have to load it into Cab 1. That just means initially load it to Cab 1. Once you've done that, both instances of the cab block can use the IR simultaneously.

D

Stringtheorist said:

I have no idea? It seems kind of odd that you can't load in a User IR into cab block 2. You'll just have to build a duplicate patch and switch the cab blocks so you can audition user IRs in the other spot in your chain. This sounds like a wish list item if i ever heard one lol.

Slightly off-topic, but speaking of instances of effect blocks, I don't know when it changed, but before, I could choose instance 2 at anytime, but with the current firmware, you must have instance 1 already loaded into a block prior to using instance 2.

For example, I like to use GEQ 1 for post amp/cab tone shaping, and GEQ 2 for pre amp/cab tone shaping. When I recently tried creating a new patch from scratch and tried to put in GEQ 2 in a block, I found that only instance 1 was available.

I don't really like that change and there is a clumsy workaround, but I don't see what the advantage is of disabling direct or random access to instance 2.

I wonder if that change has something to do with your issue.

Stringtheorist said:

goodwill559 said:
Slightly off-topic, but speaking of instances of effect blocks, I don't know when it changed, but before, I could choose instance 2 at anytime, but with the current firmware, you must have instance 1 already loaded into a block prior to using instance 2.

For example, I like to use GEQ 1 for post amp/cab tone shaping, and GEQ 2 for pre amp/cab tone shaping. When I recently tried creating a new patch from scratch and tried to put in GEQ 2 in a block, I found that only instance 1 was available.

I don't really like that change and there is a clumsy workaround, but I don't see what the advantage is of disabling direct or random access to instance 2.

I wonder if that change has something to do with your issue.

I agree. I have my midi setup to bypass drive block 2 and in some presets i don't use drive block 1. So I have to add drive block 1 so i can have the option to then add drive block 2, then go back and delete drive block 1 to get just the 2nd drive block added. Kinda clumsy IMHO.

dk_ace said:
Stringtheorist said:

He's saying you have to load it into Cab 1. That just means initially load it to Cab 1. Once you've done that, both instances of the cab block can use the IR simultaneously.

D
OK, thanks. I'll try it.

If I load an IR into an user cab slot, do I have to set MIC (in the Cab block's properties) to "none"?

Back
Top Bottom