Wish Load specific footswitch layout on preset load

Poparad

Power User
It would be very convenient to have a preset default automatically to a specified footswitch layout when loaded (or to have it set to 'none' where it stays on the current layout).

It would be very convenient to have a preset default automatically to a specified footswitch layout when loaded (or to have it set to 'none' where it stays on the current layout).
How are you loading your presets? If it's by clicking a footswitch, you can assign a layout link to any switch. Loads the selected layout, in addition to whatever else the switch does.

Last edited:
This is already possible. A layout-link from the Presets layout’s switch definition pointing to the Scenes layout is very useful and easily done.

@Poparad - you might want to link your thread here... Otherwise you'll need to keep explaining.

By the way, I can see a use for this but as mentioned in the other thread, per-preset overrides is a good option for your use case.

Per preset switches are part of the preset, so no worries. You get 24 per preset switches per preset....
Yes, but then I'd have to program them individually for every preset, times 40+ presets is very time consuming. Also, should I decide I want to change something about the layout, I have to modify that in every single one of the 40+ presets individually. Having a couple of global layouts that I can assign would be far more useful and efficient.

Here's the other thread:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/automatically-select-footswitch-layout-on-preset-load.184735/

The issue for me is that I have way too many presets to have preset layouts. I'd have no room left over for other layouts.

So you just want way more custom layouts available (for example, dozens/hundreds instead of 9)?

Or do you want specific functionality that isn’t available using Layout Links?

Between per preset overrides and the ability to create custom layouts I’m not clear what other functionality you are looking for - ie, I understand your points above about why those don’t work well for you, but it’s not evident what solution you want.

So you just want way more custom layouts available (for example, dozens/hundreds instead of 9)?

Or do you want specific functionality that isn’t available using Layout Links?

Between per preset overrides and the ability to create custom layouts I’m not clear what other functionality you are looking for - ie, I understand your points above about why those don’t work well for you, but it’s not evident what solution you want.
I don't need extra layouts than the regular 9. I want the preset to automatically switch to a specific one of those 9 layouts when the preset loads. Because I'm not switching to the preset from a button press, layout links won't solve that problem.

I don't need extra layouts than the regular 9. I want the preset to automatically switch to a specific one of those 9 layouts when the preset loads. Because I'm not switching to the preset from a button press, layout links won't solve that problem.

How do you select presets (if not from a button press)?

I see there is an ask for layouts to be selectable via MIDI, which if implemented could presumably get you what you want (for example, each preset sends a MIDI command for which layout you want, then you route it back to the unit which then selects the layout).

For presets for which you want a similar layout, how are you creating them? One of the reasons using per presets layouts aren’t a big deal for me to set up is because I typically start a preset by super copying from another similar preset - so in your case, when you create a new preset can you copy it from one that already has the per preset layout you want (or one that is very close) and then you’re not having to program all the per preset overrides from scratch?

Another thing I do is that where I know I’ll want to access buttons other than the ones in the loaded layout is that I have a hold function to switch to another view within the same layout or switch to another layout. Or you could assign an external button as a standin. It still requires one extra button press, but it’s easier than using the master layout function to change layouts.

How do you select presets (if not from a button press)?
From scrolling on the preset list on the hardware.
I'd rather not have to go the route of manually making per-preset overrides because:
1) I only want to deal with a couple of consistent layouts rather than a different potential layout for every preset
2) If I decide to change something, I only have to do it once in a global layout and not have to manually duplicate the change across many presets.

I'd rather not have to go the route of manually making per-preset overrides because:
1) I only want to deal with a couple of consistent layouts rather than a different potential layout for every preset
2) If I decide to change something, I only have to do it once in a global layout and not have to manually duplicate the change across many presets.
My main layouts have layout links on the preset switches to call up the one I want. I sometimes select presets from the front panel too and when I do, if I'm not already on the layout I want, I use the master layout switch to get to the presets layout, then reselect the one I'm already on, so its layout link pulls up the layout l wispywant for that preset.

Hope that makes sense.

understood - so in that case I’d recommend dedicating some external switches just to change layouts - not ideal, but quicker than going through the MLM.

But I can’t imagine scrolling the preset list to select presets! I often have only seconds to switch presets - I need everything at my feet and to be able to be selected hands-free. But I suppose it depends on how you’re using it - some players use a single preset for an entire gig, and if that was all I needed I wouldn’t bother with a full function modeller.

Preset List on the front panel is handy for songs that get called which weren't on the set list and they are farther away in the Preset list.

it'd be cool if Preset load could choose a specific Layout and View for sure.

Back
Top Bottom