Load Box Levels for Real Amp

Shredder3386

Inspired
Hey guys,

Just got a Suhr reactive load box so I can finally run my beloved Peavey 5150 in to the Axefx. My patch is essentially will be GUITAR-> IN 1-> GATE -> DRIVE -> OUT4 -> IN4 -> CAB. I was just curious what you guys typically set your levels too so I don't risk damaging my amp. I was testing it out with the Output 4 knob at noon and the Suhr DI Lvel at about 10 o clock and it seems alright but it also felt a bit lacklustre. It also seemed like if I turned Output 4 up it wasn't really changing the meters very much. Also if I increase the DI level it wasn't moving my input meter too much either. Probably a noob question but any suggestions for good levels (specifically for a 120w Amp like this one)? Thanks for any help!

Out 4 is designed for Unity Gain (with shunts only). so disable your drive block first, as that can increase the level more than Unity, then turn Out 4 all the way up. then turn down the drive, enable it, and slowly increase it until it's the right loudness for your setup. repeat this for any other drive channels or other blocks that have Levels that don't start at 0 (like chorus, delay, etc.).

of course be sure you didn't turn up any other block way higher than default at first.

Out 4 is designed for Unity Gain (with shunts only). so disable your drive block first, as that can increase the level more than Unity, then turn Out 4 all the way up. then turn down the drive, enable it, and slowly increase it until it's the right loudness for your setup. repeat this for any other drive channels or other blocks that have Levels that don't start at 0 (like chorus, delay, etc.).

of course be sure you didn't turn up any other block way higher than default at first.
K awesome thanks for the reply! I’ll go through and reset all the blocks, although primarily it will just be the drive the gate and the cab. I’ll make sure to slowly bring up the drive level from 0. Any other output that would work better given that 4 is unity or it is 4 the best option?

Also one more quick question if you don’t mind, what would be the right level for my setup? Tickling the red on meters?

K awesome thanks for the reply! I’ll go through and reset all the blocks, although primarily it will just be the drive the gate and the cab. I’ll make sure to slowly bring up the drive level from 0. Any other output that would work better given that 4 is unity or it is 4 the best option?
probably don't need to be too careful with the Drive level, but just be aware that Gain and Level in that block (and the amp block) can put a lot of level out.

Out 3 and 4 are designed for Unity Gain, so 4 is fine.

Also one more quick question if you don’t mind, what would be the right level for my setup? Tickling the red on meters?
not sure what level you're referring to. but with any setup, you don't want to see red constantly on the front panel meters. tickling red is the way to go for anything.

you can also use the Meters page (Home, Page Right a few times). the front panel meters are dependent on the physical output knob. (but if Out 4 is all the way up, it doesn't matter).

also use the Layout > Zoom Out meter as a level set to see how much head room you have per preset.

probably don't need to be too careful with the Drive level, but just be aware that Gain and Level in that block (and the amp block) can put a lot of level out.

Out 3 and 4 are designed for Unity Gain, so 4 is fine.

not sure what level you're referring to. but with any setup, you don't want to see red constantly on the front panel meters. tickling red is the way to go for anything.

you can also use the Meters page (Home, Page Right a few times). the front panel meters are dependent on the physical output knob. (but if Out 4 is all the way up, it doesn't matter).

also use the Layout > Zoom Out meter as a level set to see how much head room you have per preset.
Awesome thanks a ton dude!

Back
Top Bottom