Living on one preset - is it wrong?

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
Kind of tounge in cheek but.....

My AFX3 (from a long time standard and AFX2 user) is a week old. Played factory sets, played setting up control schemes with the FC12 etc.

I have set up a preset - and honestly I could live on it forever... (or at least right now lol).

Im normally an amp/cab guy. Been with many amps (VHT 2:50/2, Art SLA, Matrix 800 and 1000, fryette power station and now a SD power stage). Cab is a Zilla 2x12 with 1xV30 and 1XCreamback.

Dialing in the preset for my taste in tone. Preset has 4 channels, and when I change channel the amp type, cab type, and both drive types change. Drives are RCB on all channels (though different settings) a Timmy 1 on 2 channels a zen master on the cleaner channel amps and a Riot in the last.

Amps are the Deluxe Reverb in 1, Cornfed M50 in 2 set crunchy (below 4 on both input gains and master on 5), the Cameron 1B in ch3 - input boost is on but input gain is only 4. Master at 8 though. 4th channel is the Herbie 2+ but again input drive is only 5.5

Im not a high gain user (certainly not the chuggy stuff). I liv e clean, edge of breakup, rock and blues really. Even the 2+ is a bit high for me but useful for some stuff.

I have a basic chain of comp, phaser, chorus, delay and reverb on my Fc11 viewable switches (with the drive, channels and a solo boost on the OPs) but also have compression, rem, flanger, rotary and multi delay on the long press (where I also have scenes 1-5 if I ever need to use them). I have a 2nd layout that has bank up/down and presets buttons again for if/when I want to use more presests.

Now - I don't tend to play specific songs - with specific layouts. I free form a lot and this seems to work. i had planned (initially) to do one preset for each guitar - taking them from clean to mean but suitable to each instrument. Thing is, all 3 work with this one preset - showing each guitars character and they all sound good in their own way.... not something I every got to on the AFX 2.

Im now going thorugh adding cabs for FRFR (later night noodling and recording) which is a struggle - as I really dont know what good recorded/mic'd sound it. I never really did this on the 2 - only when forced for a recording, but Im determined to get into that with the 3.

So - Im absolutely impressed with the improvements the AFX3 on the latest FW have over the AFX2... but (getting back to the actual threat title), its a lot of money for one preset of sounds lol. Is this a waste? is it wrong? or is it using the tools Im given (that others dont have) to tailor the unit to the sounds in my head - which is what Ive done. Should I push and get a wider range of sounds from other presets? should I be happy (I am) and just use it as is until the need arises to change or add stuff? anyone else in a similar boat and thinking its a lot of money for a small selection of (great admittedly) tones??

Last edited:
A lot of amps alone cost more than the Axe-FX III does. Add effects, cabs, and other stuff on top of that...a better question might be: Is the Axe-FX III is under-priced for what you get? Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the things you mention in your preset above would cost more separately than your Axe-FX III setup.

The Axe-FX III basically eliminates GAS hahah. Do what you want now, add the rest when you inevitably want it later.

Kind of lounge in cheek but.....

My AFX3 (from a long time standard and AFX2 user) is a week old. Played factory sets, played setting up control schemes with the FC12 etc.

I have set up a preset - and honestly I could live on it forever... (or at least right now lol).

Im normally an amp/cab guy. Been with many amps (VHT 2:50/2, Art SLA, Matrix 800 and 1000, fryette power station and now a SD power stage). Cab is a Zilla 2x12 with 1xV30 and 1XCreamback.

Dialing in the preset for my taste in tone. Preset has 4 channels, and when I change channel the amp type, cab type, and both drive types change. Drives are RCB on all channels (though different settings) a Timmy 1 on 2 channels a zen master on the cleaner channel amps and a Riot in the last.

Amps are the Deluxe Reverb in 1, Cornfed M50 in 2 set crunchy (below 4 on both input gains and master on 5), the Cameron 1B in ch3 - input boost is on but input gain is only 4. Master at 8 though. 4th channel is the Herbie 2+ but again input drive is only 5.5

Im not a high gain user (certainly not the chuggy stuff). I liv e clean, edge of breakup, rock and blues really. Even the 2+ is a bit high for me but useful for some stuff.

I have a basic chain of comp, phaser, chorus, delay and reverb on my Fc11 viewable switches (with the drive, channels and a solo boost on the OPs) but also have compression, rem, flanger, rotary and multi delay on the long press (where I also have scenes 1-5 if I ever need to use them). I have a 2nd layout that has bank up/down and presets buttons again for if/when I want to use more presests.

Now - I don't tend to play specific songs - with specific layouts. I free form a lot and this seems to work. i had planned (initially) to do one preset for each guitar - taking them from clean to mean but suitable to each instrument. Thing is, all 3 work with this one preset - showing each guitars character and they all sound good in their own way.... not something I every got to on the AFX 2.

Im now going thorugh adding cabs for FRFR (later night noodling and recording) which is a struggle - as I really dont know what good recorded/mic'd sound it. I never really did this on the 2 - only when forced for a recording, but Im determined to get into that with the 3.

So - Im absolutely impressed with the improvements the AFX3 on the latest FW have over the AFX2... but (getting back to the actual threat title), its a lot of money for one preset of sounds lol. Is this a waste? is it wrong? or is it using the tools Im given (that others dont have) to tailor the unit to the sounds in my head - which is what Ive done. Should I push and get a wider range of sounds from other presets? should I be happy (I am) and just use it as is until the need arises to change or add stuff? anyone else in a similar boat and thinking its a lot of money for a small selection of (great admittedly) tones??
100% with you. Spent my time dialing in the sound in my head. Honestly, I only use one preset. Occasionally I will sit down and start a new one from scratch just for shits and grins. I always end up back on my original preset. I'm good with that especially after adding up the cost if I were to actually have bought that rig. It was around 15k. Not too mention the ease of arriving at the configuration without having to buy/sell or even find the gear that's being very accurately emulated. This is one cool ass black box!

A lot of amps alone cost more than the Axe-FX III does. Add effects, cabs, and other stuff on top of that...a better question might be: Is the Axe-FX III is under-priced for what you get? Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the things you mention in your preset above would cost more separately than your Axe-FX III setup.

The Axe-FX III basically eliminates GAS hahah. Do what you want now, add the rest when you inevitably want it later.
Oh - i totally get that the cost thing.

Perhaps the better point would have been rather than "given the COST of the unit" it should have been "given the options on the unit". it it toatally underused in my case.... or the perfect tool to get just the sounds I need in one preset.

To be fait - on the AFX2 I have 15 preset. They were basically the same 5 presets mirrored for a slightly different family of sound and I may end up doing something similar - BUT on the AFX2 I have one preset for clean, crunch, Drive, lead and high gain basically, each having an X/Y for 2 levels of gain in each. On the AFX3 Im basically doing that in one reset using the channels (rather than 5) and utilising 2 suitable drives rather than on in the AFX2 (never found one I really likes).

Last edited:
Kind of tounge in cheek but.....

Fractal is kind of like Outback Steakhouse. No rules, just right.

Having Fractal is like having the Sweetwater catalogue mixed with Weird Science movie. Anything you want, you can have. Except Cliff is no Kelly LeBrock.

Not wrong to just use one, I have a couple that get probably 90% of my time right now.

But one thing I know, I change over time, and things I liked once don't always please me today.
That's where the value comes in, to me anyway.

I know I'll never have to deal with "well this is what I have to work with, how can I get it close".
I have literally everything I could ever want.

Spent a good part of 2019 on just ‘59 baseman in 4 scenes and plexis in 4 scenes ... one kitchen sink preset; lots of modifiers via EV1s.

Ill also add - Im really back to using the vol and tone controls on the guitar.....something I rarely did on the 2 and never on the standard (used presents to change things like gain and tone). The dynamics are soo good now (as I say coming from aFX2 straight into the latest FW) I dont have to rely on flat out guitars and using AFX controls to change things.

AFX3 has really moved me back to how I used to play amps.....but with more amps and more channels to choose from than I could want..

I am not a pro. I use like 10 different presets, depending on what I am playing, but 80% of the time I use one of Burg's free presets when I am just noodling around or practicing. I know I have over 500 presets, and I've bought some from Austin Buddy and the Pink Floyd set from Fromen's (sp?) and I use them occasional, but certainly not all the time. I bought the AXE because I wanted all that freedom and I'm a tech fan, but I don't really get all I could out of the machine, as much of it is above my level. I try to learn from Leon, but he too is above my level most of the time. First World Problem.

Smart move .... all those unused presets could go up in value with the current semiconductor shortage

I always end up back on my original preset. I'm good with that especially after adding up the cost if I were to actually have bought that rig. It was around 15k. Not too mention the ease of arriving at the configuration without having to buy/sell or even find the gear that's being very accurately emulated. This is one cool ass black box!
This is a great point - it's not just about the cost of the equivalent real life gear that you actually use in your one preset .. you also have to consider each model you scrolled past and decided wasn't your thing in order to arrive at that preset. No buying and selling each of those at a loss! (sure you can demo some things in a shop, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that has a hard time deciding how much I like a piece of gear in that context)

Back
Top Bottom