Live with FM9 and Katana 100, help with cutting through

Hi All,
I use the FM9 and the power amp in a Katana MK II 100. Last gig they kept asking me to turn up and I had it really loud to be heard for solos.
I like the warmer tones but not sure how to keep the basic tone but have it cut through better. Any help on freqs that I should boost/cut?
I guess I could cut bass first, low cut filter? Really appreciate any input.

Thanks,

This may sound like a dumb question but your love patches don’t have the cabs on right? Or at least not on the outs that go to the Katana? That could seriously mess with how you’re cutting through in a live mix running through a an amp.

Mids! 900Hz or thereabouts, push them up 3-4 dB in the amp block and see if that doesn't get you in the mix!

Does your Katana have Cab Resonance settings on the front panel? If not you may be able to access that setting as well as Global EQ and Power Amp In settings more easily using Boss Tone Studio.

The factory speaker in those is pitched as a higher watt Greenback-style speaker, so it doesn't have the cutting mid spike of a Vintage 30. On the Katana's Global EQ, play with the high-mid freq, Q, and gain. Set the freq to 1.6Khz to start, and give it a few dB of gain. From there, adjust the freq to find the sweet spot for cutting through, then adjust the gain and Q to taste.

Last edited:
I had the Katana 100 for a few months. Had a Helix at the time and tried using it as a power amp for it and found it pretty terrible.
Lacks punch and authority. Kinda collapsed when driven reasonably hard. Find a better solution.
On a gig I used the power section of a Fender Blues Deluxe , that worked out way better.

Around 3k is the "HEY LISTEN TO ME" frequency. Our ears are especially sensitive to that range. That's the piercing quality of a woman's scream or baby's cry, which I'm sure is no coincidence.

When I (briefly) experimented with the AX8 into a Katana, I got better results plugging into the acoustic channel rather than going into the effects return. I only did that for a couple of jam sessions years ago....but it may be worth a try.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

STM113: I do have the cabs on for my best patches.
Katana has a dedicated Power Amp IN that bypasses the pre amp and eq etc. specifically for modelers.
There are no controls or settings available when plugged into Power amp in.

This was just posted today from cooper carter...

I have a gig this weekend and will see if I can test these suggestions.

Thank you to all!

Thanks to everyone for your input.

STM113: I do have the cabs on for my best patches.
Katana has a dedicated Power Amp IN that bypasses the pre amp and eq etc. specifically for modelers.
There are no controls or settings available when plugged into Power amp in.

This was just posted today from cooper carter...

I have a gig this weekend and will see if I can test these suggestions.

Thank you to all!

If you are running cab sims through a power amp and speaker that is not FRFR or "Full Range" then essentially you are double filtering which would totally make your guitar disappear at stage volume. Even by itself the tone will sound kind of "comb filtery" and like it has a wet blanket on it.

Back
Top Bottom