Live with Axe-Fx 3

HOLYxVIER

Hi guys,
I played my 1st show last weekend with the axe3 and it was almost my worst gig ever,
Let me explain, basically it’s quite easy
I played without any monitor since i had a huge larsen/feedback on my stage monitor.
The sound in the venue was massive but on stage it sucked big time,
I don’t understand why i couldn’t dial any good sound on my stage monitor without getting this huge feedback

Any help would be really appreciated i have to play a big venue friday and i’m not confident to take the axe with me unfortunately :(
What am i doing wrong with my setup :(

Guitar - Wireless - AxeFX - PA
Thanks guys,

What kind of music are you playing? Eg what tone are you after?

What is your process of dialing in your presets you are using on stage?
If at low bedroom volumes, it could be sound guy is making compensation and tweaking to make it sound all ok out of FOH but you sound shite on stage

Feedback sounds like volume too high or massive drive perhaps

Any preset you used that you could upload for people to check/test?

Hi, yes i’ll get my axe tomorrow and share the preset,
I’m playing metal with a caparison - Passive pickup

i’ve dialed my sound @ home that’s correct but the sound in the venue was really decent and i was quite happy about it, i mean to me when the guy turn the volume on it was cool- But yes i’ll still share to get some review.

It was just the sound on stage who sucked big time because of this huge feedback..
Tomorrow i’ll dial a lot of different preset to test as well.
Thanks

If the sound was screaming back at you and feeding back wildly, thats certainly not the axe’s fault. Take a little time before the show starts to hear your monitor mix and level and ask for what you need if you’re not hearing what you like.

Any help would be really appreciated i have to play a big venue friday and i’m not confident to take the axe with me unfortunately :(
What am i doing wrong with my setup :(

Nothing wrong, use a positive outlook on it even though it's frustrating for the time being as experience.

First off, what real amp are you used to using? How is it cabbed? Other words, what will you potentially be playing in replacement of the AFX III?

Second, you can perform 'minor adjustments' when you go venue to venue, but my preference is to avoid 'dialing in' a full blown new preset or making large adjustments each gig.

Third, was the monitor coming from the venue's FOH board or directly out of the AFX III? If coming from the venue's FOH, pre and post EQ plays a huge role in how your tone is represented.

Potential fixes:
  • use your own monitor that you dialed your tone in with e.g. Atomic CLR, Headrush, FRFR for your gig also.
  • use your own monitor to gig with using the 1/4" or XLR, and send FOH using the other for Output 1 or Output 2 depending on your signal chain
  • biggest one, experiment and try it yourself; see if you can go to a venue earlier or another day to work out the kinks so there are no surprises @ game time

All experiences that have helped me through the years. Let us know what tone you're going for as a reference point for us to assist further. Cheers!

Also check your cables to your stage setup. A bust cable can produce the awful feedback on stage but the FOH sounds great.

This is typically caused by "tweeter squeal". If the tweeter is not magnetically shielded the magnetic field will couple into the guitar's pickups causing a feedback loop. The issue is exacerbated by high gain.

The solution is to use a monitor expressly designed for use with a modeler like the Atomic CLR, Line 6 Powercab, etc.

Another solution is to monitor yourself using a conventional guitar cabinet and dedicated power amp.

Nothing wrong, use a positive outlook on it even though it's frustrating for the time being as experience.

First off, what real amp are you used to using? How is it cabbed? Other words, what will you potentially be playing in replacement of the AFX III?

Second, you can perform 'minor adjustments' when you go venue to venue, but my preference is to avoid 'dialing in' a full blown new preset or making large adjustments each gig.

Third, was the monitor coming from the venue's FOH board or directly out of the AFX III? If coming from the venue's FOH, pre and post EQ plays a huge role in how your tone is represented.

Potential fixes:
  • use your own monitor that you dialed your tone in with e.g. Atomic CLR, Headrush, FRFR for your gig also.
  • use your own monitor to gig with using the 1/4" or XLR, and send FOH using the other for Output 1 or Output 2 depending on your signal chain
  • biggest one, experiment and try it yourself; see if you can go to a venue earlier or another day to work out the kinks so there are no surprises @ game time

All experiences that have helped me through the years. Let us know what tone you're going for as a reference point for us to assist further. Cheers!
Thanks for that,
I agree but you know how it is either you have your own FOH Team or else you’ll have to deal with a dude who barely know how to turn on his PA,
Friday i’ll be lucky enough to have time for my soundcheck and to talk with a proper FOH Team used to work with high end equipments,
Personally Having Speakers with me is not possible since i’m traveling a lot « plane, trains » and i took an axe to reduce my stuff on tour,
I guess what i’m gonna do is to get a poweramp in order to be able to connect to any guitar cab as a reference for monitoring and to keep a 2nd output for a proper sound in the venue.

That suck just because i really loved the sound in the venue but i guess this monitor was shitty..
Thanks for all the message i’ll dig into them all 💪

So do typical high end PA speakers not have the same shielding as speakers designed for modeling?

PA speakers and monitors are not designed the same way as they serve different purposes (to my limited understanding unidirectional v.omnidirectional).

Most venues IME will actually cheap out on lower end monitors because "hey they're just monitors" versus investing in quality gear that are made for referencing sonically accurate gear like the AFX III. I'm not sure the ratio of monitors for shielded tweeters vs. unshielded tweeter'd monitors, but if a venue bought some Fender Stage monitors and have some JBL line arrays, they cheaped out.

Main recommendation: get a decent (small) FRFR that suits your needs for portability and usability.

Cheers!

Thanks for that,
I agree but you know how it is either you have your own FOH Team or else you’ll have to deal with a dude who barely know how to turn on his PA,
Friday i’ll be lucky enough to have time for my soundcheck and to talk with a proper FOH Team used to work with high end equipments,
Personally Having Speakers with me is not possible since i’m traveling a lot « plane, trains » and i took an axe to reduce my stuff on tour,
I guess what i’m gonna do is to get a poweramp in order to be able to connect to any guitar cab as a reference for monitoring and to keep a 2nd output for a proper sound in the venue.

That suck just because i really loved the sound in the venue but i guess this monitor was shitty..
Thanks for all the message i’ll dig into them all 💪
How did it go Friday?

Hey guys,
Sorry i’ve been really busy lately, basically
The show was really good and the sound was insane.
What changed,

basically i’ve passed a good 20/30h checking videos and reading stuff to tweak the sound and talked to different guys, and i’ve created few different patchs to see what’s the difference with a large PA

Once in the Venue i’ve tried mine « the one used last week »
And the sound was good so i’ve talked to the sound guy and It seems that the previous venue had a shitty PA or soundguy because on this one it was clear, clean and powerful...

I guess i blamed the axe for another shitty piece of equipment

Sorry Fractal

Back
Top Bottom