Live Video - Acoustic/Electric on the Fly - FRFR YouTube

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
One of the strongest features I make use of live is to be able to exploit a direct-to-FOH/FRFR rig to do acoustic and electric - switching on the fly- live.

I use a JTV-59 USA to do this; and it's a little more cumbersome than doing the switching hand's free. But it is proof of concept that it is achieveable and effective live.

Here's a video from last weekend's gig (first tune of the first set in fact):

What I'm doing is all the acoustic work and then switching when you see me changing presets and simultaneously turning the modeling guitar piezo on/off. It's a little iffy sometimes because I also have to turn down the volume and then back up or you can hear it 'clunk' because if I don't hit the mark perfect at the time of switching both the preset *and* the guitar... you get a 'clunk' (the acoustic into my Marshall preset is not a pretty sound... lol).

What's notable is that you can do this with a FRFR rig pretty effectively; even if it isn't a perfect solution. I feel it's a very usable viable solution.

The rig is: JTV-59USA - Axe-FX II (controlled by MFC-101/Mission expression pedals) - Atomic CLR for self monitoring (it is off to my left if you look). My signal is direct from the AFXII into FOH.

This is a raw video shot with a Zoom Q3HD and the video and audio are straight from the camera.

***And yes, I know the music stand is bush league - don't give me s*** over it. I've raised the issue with the band... strongly. ;) ***

Scott is that the acoustic patch that is floating around? Looks like you was having fun.

Scott is that the acoustic patch that is floating around? Looks like you was having fun.

No, I use a preset I designed. Just a tube preamp and some reverb; nothing other than that. I always have fun... just like you do!

Does the JTV use a stereo (siamese) output cable? Before I went to using the GR-55 for acoustic sounds, I ran the piezo output of the guitar to the rear input of the Axe & the mag output to the front input & had parallel amp patches so I could just switch back & forth between piezo & electric (or combine both) from the guitar without changing patches in the Axe. Now I just use an FX loop to bring the synth output into the Axe patches & use a mix block to control levels between synth or modeled tones from the GR-55 and the electric guitar signal chain.

Does the JTV use a stereo (siamese) output cable? Before I went to using the GR-55 for acoustic sounds, I ran the piezo output of the guitar to the rear input of the Axe & the mag output to the front input & had parallel amp patches so I could just switch back & forth between piezo & electric (or combine both) from the guitar without changing patches in the Axe. Now I just use an FX loop to bring the synth output into the Axe patches & use a mix block to control levels between synth or modeled tones from the GR-55 and the electric guitar signal chain.

No, it just uses a regular guitar cable. You turn the modeling guitar on/off with the knob - it's a push/push type. You get modeling or you get analog pickups only.

Does this mean you use one channel for electric and acoustic tones to foh?

No, just use an acoustic preset and my electric presets; switching back and forth.

So I am switching the guitar and the Axe-FX preset simultaneously.

Last edited:
Good job Scott. I do a similar thing with my EBMM JP6 w/ piezo. I run a dual-path preset with Scenes (i.e. Scene 1 for acoustic, Scenes 2+ for electric tones), and switch the scene and mag/piezo switch on the guitar simultaneously. It works, and it's pretty flexible - just have to practice the dual switching to get it smooth.

I didn't know those Variax guitars don't have a stereo output to get both modelled and magnetic at the same time.
Damn, that is really odd! It's not like anyone would use the synth or acoustic sounds of the Variax guitars with a normal amplifier, right? o_O

@Topic: That's some nice switch/tap dancing. Also like the voice of your singer. She definitely has the "dirt".

sounds great, scott. having a "y" cable makes this so easy, it's ridiculous...you don't even have to think about it...just change preset! i'm really surprised the variax only uses a mono cable...no chance of a rewire to split?

***And yes, I know the music stand is bush league - don't give me s*** over it. I've raised the issue with the band... strongly. ;) ***

Haha, can't let this pass, of course! :mrgreen

A great solution, used by a singer in one of my bands:

- get a laptop, with a display large enough to be able to read it. Any cheap laptop will do.
- put the laptop in a case with lid, or a cardboard box pretending to be a monitor wedge (covered in black tape).
- make sure the rear of the box (facing the audience) is just black. People will think it's a monitor.
- put lyrics in a presentation program on the laptop.
- use a wireless (Bluetooth) page tuner / presentation device to switch slides. Or for handsfree operation: use a Boss FS6 to switch slides up/down.
I'd have to ask which interface he uses with the switches.

Remarkable simple solution. Noone ever notices he's reading lyrics. Well, because he uses sunglasses too. :)
But most important: no music stand.

- get a laptop, with a display large enough to be able to read it. Any cheap laptop will do.
- put the laptop in a case with lid, or a cardboard box pretending to be a monitor wedge (covered in black tape).
- make sure the rear of the box (facing the audience) is just black. People will think it's a monitor.
- use a wireless (Bluetooth) page tuner / presentation device to switch slides. Or for handsfree operation: use a Boss FS6 to switch slides up/down.

Remarkable simple solution. Noone ever notices he's reading lyrics. Well, because he uses sunglasses too. :)
... or we could just not support lazy singers and make them learn the damn lyrics. They are getting all the attention after all, so they better work hard to deserve it! ;)

sounds great, scott. having a "y" cable makes this so easy, it's ridiculous...you don't even have to think about it...just change preset! i'm really surprised the variax only uses a mono cable...no chance of a rewire to split?

No, the modeling is a different beast than the simple piezo output; you can do altered tunings on the fly, do many different guitars (electric too). Just a different tool box. I have another guitar that does what you are describing (I've owned many since the middle 90's doing this faux acoustic thing) and feel the results from the modeling guitar on the JTV are better.

Tis a good idea. Rehearsal is Thursday... we'll see how it goes.

No, just use an acoustic preset and my electric presets; switching back and forth.

So I am switching the guitar and the Axe-FX preset simultaneously.

I meant like channel 8 per se is electric and acoustic at FOH? Or are you using two channels? I've been thinking about doing this to keep my requirements simple. Just need to make sure levels are good. most sound guys probably wouldn't like this since they couldn't eq separately. Right now I use separate channels for my acoustic and electric...

I meant like channel 8 per se is electric and acoustic at FOH? Or are you using two channels? I've been thinking about doing this to keep my requirements simple. Just need to make sure levels are good. most sound guys probably wouldn't like this since they couldn't eq separately. Right now I use separate channels for my acoustic and electric...

Everything is the same front input into the Axe-FX and same one output from the Axe-FX II to FOH. One channel (I run mono). There's no reason for the sound guys to EQ me differently; I've already done it for them. It's simple as pie - the acoustic modeling on the JTV is pretty good; it is *far* better than just a raw piezo passing for an acoustic.

Scott, do you know if Line6 publishes the pinout and control signals for the modelling control through the cat5 cable? I was thinking about trying to build a box that would take a midi signal and convert it to control the modeller. I would use the 1/4" out for analog signal and send a MIDI signal from the MFC (when I finally get it) to the converter box and then use the cat5 cable to the guitar for control. I hate fumbling around in the dark on stage trying to set the right alternate tuning or model setting. Nothing like breaking into Honky Tonk Women in open D instead of open G.

Ah cool, that is what I was hoping you were doing. I would agree the piezo probably isn't as nice sounding. I still pick up my acoustic for songs I don't need a quick switch for. So long as I eq good enough I'll have to try this!

Scott, do you know if Line6 publishes the pinout and control signals for the modelling control through the cat5 cable? I was thinking about trying to build a box that would take a midi signal and convert it to control the modeller. I would use the 1/4" out for analog signal and send a MIDI signal from the MFC (when I finally get it) to the converter box and then use the cat5 cable to the guitar for control. I hate fumbling around in the dark on stage trying to set the right alternate tuning or model setting. Nothing like breaking into Honky Tonk Women in open D instead of open G.

I'm not sure they publish the spec on the Cat5 cable - you only use it for data transmission (presets, firmware upgrades and such) on the JTV series unless you have a HD500 to the best of my knowledge.

The knobs on the JTV light up when you activate (push) them; you can read them even on a dark stage to make sure you have the right tuning.

You can also reprogram any 'slot' on the entire thing in pretty much any way you want; not only just the two 'custom banks' it has setup. That includes tuning.

I'm not sure they publish the spec on the Cat5 cable - you only use it for data transmission (presets, firmware upgrades and such) on the JTV series unless you have a HD500 to the best of my knowledge.

The knobs on the JTV light up when you activate (push) them; you can read them even on a dark stage to make sure you have the right tuning.

You can also reprogram any 'slot' on the entire thing in pretty much any way you want; not only just the two 'custom banks' it has setup. That includes tuning.

Glad I asked. I just checked mine again and the tuning selector does not light up, and never has as far as I can remember. I will have to get that fixed. Thanks for the "illuminating" reply:mrgreen

Back
Top Bottom