Live Video - Acoustic/Electric on the Fly - FRFR YouTube

***And yes, I know the music stand is bush league - don't give me s*** over it. I've raised the issue with the band... strongly. ;) ***
I have the same problem with my singer and my bass player (both women).
I will try to convince them to use yek' system. ;)

When forming bands, my mates and I have 2 rules; No music stands and no bar stools in rock-n-roll.

I also like Yek's system....so simple! Will keep this one in mind.

Haha, can't let this pass, of course! :mrgreen

A great solution, used by a singer in one of my bands:

- get a laptop, with a display large enough to be able to read it. Any cheap laptop will do.
- put the laptop in a case with lid, or a cardboard box pretending to be a monitor wedge (covered in black tape).
- make sure the rear of the box (facing the audience) is just black. People will think it's a monitor.
- put lyrics in a presentation program on the laptop.
- use a wireless (Bluetooth) page tuner / presentation device to switch slides. Or for handsfree operation: use a Boss FS6 to switch slides up/down.
I'd have to ask which interface he uses with the switches.

Remarkable simple solution. Noone ever notices he's reading lyrics. Well, because he uses sunglasses too. :)
But most important: no music stand.

Another use for Google goggles!

Music stands crack me up. I have to sing every song and play all the guitar and I cover around 95 artists and 130 songs.

Maybe if she quite her day job she'd get serious about memorizing songs. :devilish:

"bush league"...teehee...funny Scott! :lol
BTW...fat acoustic tone bra. What does your compadre think about your rig? Sounds like he's using an amp and stomps.

"bush league"...teehee...funny Scott! :lol
BTW...fat acoustic tone bra. What does your compadre think about your rig? Sounds like he's using an amp and stomps.

He loves the rig; but he's an amp and pedals guy and that's no problem with me. He's a great guy, killer player - he doesn't go off in this song here but he's got skills.

Haha, can't let this pass, of course! :mrgreen

A great solution, used by a singer in one of my bands:

- get a laptop, with a display large enough to be able to read it. Any cheap laptop will do.
- put the laptop in a case with lid, or a cardboard box pretending to be a monitor wedge (covered in black tape).
- make sure the rear of the box (facing the audience) is just black. People will think it's a monitor.
- put lyrics in a presentation program on the laptop.
- use a wireless (Bluetooth) page tuner / presentation device to switch slides. Or for handsfree operation: use a Boss FS6 to switch slides up/down.
I'd have to ask which interface he uses with the switches.

Remarkable simple solution. Noone ever notices he's reading lyrics. Well, because he uses sunglasses too. :)
But most important: no music stand.

So many bands do this, albeit with more pro prompter setups. Recently, I was surprised to see RUSH using them live. Lots of lyrics to remember!

We all use iPads with the "Set List Maker" app on them. We've got a database setup with all the songs, lyrics, charts etc and it syncs round all our iPads. Makes sets and the like an absolute breeze. You can even set it up so it autoscrolls. Well worth a look if you've got an iPad.

***And yes, I know the music stand is bush league - don't give me s*** over it. I've raised the issue with the band... strongly. ;) ***

Good stuff, Scott.

I had the same issue with a music stand for the singers in one of my other bands. To solve it, I walked into rehearsal with a giant binder of guitar tab and set up my own stand right in front of me, pausing playing at each page switch.

Stand was gone next gig.

Back
Top Bottom