Live tone EQ tip

levipeto

Fractal Fanatic
We all know that the tone you create at home will change at rehearsal or at gig. Because of the volume, how it sits or doesn't with the band, etc.
There are few technique already out there, like low-cut and hight-cut [either in the CAB or in a PEQ], but that doesn't help me to adjust the tone quickly.

I used a preset at rehearsal, that was created at home and it was way to harsh and while it had a good body, when I was playing alone, it got lost in the mix.
I just started using the channel strip function in the CAB and I live the compression and the extra drive that it adds, but it also has 3 band EQ, which just worked perfectly for me to fix my tone.
I don't know what frequencies it adjusts and with what Q, but it works [for me]. In seconds I was done, while it would have taken me much longer with other technique.

Try it out. Maybe I am overreacting :D

Yeah, I'll the global EQ is it is something with the room. On a preset to preset level. The amp block was great because it has an eq built in. but now we have the cab block which can be even easier.

A global high cut at 7K would remove the shimmer effect from my clean tone, for example.

The AMP EQ still before the cab so the Cab would still cover up most of the changes.

I can add a new 5 band EQ block after the cab, add low- high- cut, then use the rest 3 band to try to find the blindspots, but it takes much longer.

This a shortcut that worked for me and it is CAB based. That means if I save the block, I can easily build new preset for Live use, that works for the band.

There is no magic here, just observation :D

We all know that the tone you create at home will change at rehearsal or at gig. Because of the volume, how it sits or doesn't with the band, etc.
There are few technique already out there, like low-cut and hight-cut [either in the CAB or in a PEQ], but that doesn't help me to adjust the tone quickly.

I used a preset at rehearsal, that was created at home and it was way to harsh and while it had a good body, when I was playing alone, it got lost in the mix.
I just started using the channel strip function in the CAB and I live the compression and the extra drive that it adds, but it also has 3 band EQ, which just worked perfectly for me to fix my tone.
I don't know what frequencies it adjusts and with what Q, but it works [for me]. In seconds I was done, while it would have taken me much longer with other technique.

What is the channel strip function - is it the pre amp mic in the cab block?

The only problem with using the preamp for live patches is it requires having the cab block in the patch in the first place. That's not really ideal for those of us playing through cabs. Of course, it's only a problem if cpu usage is getting high.

I use a Global-PEQ as last stage in all my presets with bypass = External Controller 12. With the Externel Controller start = 100% OR 0% setting i can activate it "globally" (i think this trick comes from YEK?!).

As quick fix i use only one peaking band with super low Q and raise gain to +6db (for better hearing the center frequency). Than i sweep through the band, where it works best (set center frequency mostly in the 600 to 1300Hz range) and lower again to +1 to +3db and compensate overall volume with output level. Works globally, fast, mostly everytime to fix quickly the balance of my sound to the rest of the band / stage / monitor / whatever. Really like that better than the global GEQ, because it works faster. Would wish the global EQ would be a PEQ instead of GEQ or a GEQ with the ability to coupled / linked band filter faders, which influence each other ... (like the EQ from Windows Media Player, where can "group" faders... you know... nice feature! i requested here :) )

Last edited:

I found this to be immediately useful as well, also were people not asking for some simple tone knobs to twist?

This is the reason I use the new cab block pre's in all my presets. I dial in a tone at home or in the practice space and when I'm at the venue, I get a nice 3 band tweak to the overall tone.

I use a Passive 3 band Eq at the end of all my patches, so I can do the same thing (quick tweak of high/mid/low).
Similar results as your are reporting Levipeto. I guess I can now use similar controls in the cab block and save myself from having to insert an Eq in my patch....

They're making it too easy now!

Just curious what your setting were on the channel strip when you used it for live usage?

Humain ear have a lot of sensibilty between 1Khz and 6Khz. For a goog guitar sound in live, boost between 1Khz and 2Khz (1,6Khz is the ideal frequency for me) and cut some muddy frequencies between 300Hz and 500Hz.

Thanks but on the Cab block for the mic pre choices and settings it uses a simple low - mid - high level and was curious if levipeto was boosting the mids more or just cutting the low & high. I like to gets other peoples approach on things so I can try them. Yes I use my ears too....lol

cabo246:
I am little bit different from the rest of the guys, because I think there are frequencies above 10K that I need, for my tone, but I can tell you my approach.

MY default tone was a VH-ish preset, that I approached using the pre amp section in the CAB by adding 3-4 db to the highs, which sounded very authentic on bedroom level.
However playing through the PA [which is a pair of JBL G2 with subs. It is what it is :S] I had to turn it back to noon, and I think even more a little.
I use high-cuts in the CAB block as well. with 7K cut I lost the tone. 20K was too high, tried 10K and finally I settled at 15K. (most of you want 7K ish, but that worked what I was looking for.)
At this point the tone was enjoyable again, but didn't have enough body. I ended up boosting the mids, like +2db, even the bass +1 db? It is really up to taste.
I will have to double check. I can even share the preset later tonight.
I used the one of the CK cab 57-57 02 with Low Res Freq. set to 105Hz in the Amp Cab.

Oh and I use Plexi 100 and 1959 hard panned.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom