Live / Studio Patch Differences

mmpete

Experienced
Hi All.

I about 4 weeks my band will hit a local recording studio to do a demo for our tribute band, and I'll be using my AX8 for my guitar sounds. I've noticed a number fo times that some when members talk about their sounds, they refer to different setups for live verses recording. Apart from some home recording (prior to owning an AX8) I have not really done anything like this with the AX8.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on Recording Vs Live Patches

Thanks.

Depending of course on the setup at the studio vs live setup.

From my experience at home/studio tones tend to need more treble frequencies and live requires less. For example my setup at home is AX8 into an Apollo Twin where I monitor with a pair of Focal Pro headphones and live it's direct FOH where I monitor using in ear monitors. It's almost always a guarantee when we sound check at a gig that I'll need to use the high cut parameter on the cab block to dial back some higher frequencies and sometimes more low cut when using patches that I have dialed in at home. Depending on the room. For me, A good starting point is low cut at 80Hz and high cut around 6000 to 7500 Hz. Those setting tend to translate best between studio and live sounds. The cab block is sooooo important if you ask me.

As for effects, I tend to need less reverb and delay at a gig. Sounds always seem a lot wetter over a PA to me when you compare studio and live sounds. Again, that's just my taste and experience. Hope that helps.

From my experience at home/studio tones tend to need more treble frequencies and live requires less. For example my setup at home is AX8 into an Apollo Twin where I monitor with a pair of Focal Pro headphones and live it's direct FOH where I monitor using in ear monitors. It's almost always a guarantee when we sound check at a gig that I'll need to use the high cut parameter on the cab block to dial back some higher frequencies and sometimes more low cut when using patches that I have dialed in at home. Depending on the room. For me, A good starting point is low cut at 80Hz and high cut around 6000 to 7500 Hz. Those setting tend to translate best between studio and live sounds. The cab block is sooooo important if you ask me.

As for effects, I tend to need less reverb and delay at a gig. Sounds always seem a lot wetter over a PA to me when you compare studio and live sounds. Again, that's just my taste and experience. Hope that helps.

This! The Fletcher Munson effect. It's a common scenario. The way I handle this is I started running my Output from the AX8 into a small Mackie mixer then out to FOH from there. This gives me the ability to EQ my signal to tune it to that particular venue. I know you could use the front EQ knobs but they don't stay when you switch presets. It's worked well.

This! The Fletcher Munson effect. It's a common scenario. The way I handle this is I started running my Output from the AX8 into a small Mackie mixer then out to FOH from there. This gives me the ability to EQ my signal to tune it to that particular venue. It's worked well.

That's why we have Global Output EQs. You are basically ruining your sound quality going to that mackie mixer. But if you are happy with that, noone can judge.

That's why we have Global Output EQs. You are basically ruining your sound quality going to that mackie mixer. But if you are happy with that, noone can judge.
Disagree, the global EQ's aren't saved when you switch presets. It's fine if your just running 1 preset for the event but many including myself run more than 1 during a gig. The Mackie has high quality Onyx preamps and when A/B'd can't tell a difference. To each his own.

The global EQ is constant across presets.

I would recommend to be very careful with wet FX. Either record a WDW setup, or maybe record only the dry tone and leave the wet FX for the mixing stage.

Disagree, the global EQ's aren't saved when you switch presets. It's fine if your just running 1 preset for the event but many including myself run more than 1 during a gig. The Mackie has high quality Onyx preamps and when A/B'd can't tell a difference. To each his own.

Heh. Global "Output" EQ. Nuff said.

So then that would be the case running to any FOH mixer as well? "Ruining the sound quality"

So then that would be the case running to any FOH mixer as well? "Ruining the sound quality"

That's why we have two different outputs and two different global output equalizer, so that you can shape your FOH and monitor sound seperately.

That's why we have two different outputs and two different global output equalizer, so that you can shape your FOH and monitor sound seperately.
Except I am running a couple Strymon pedals through the FX loop so I don't have Out 2 available.

Thanks for the input. My live sound has low cut around the 90 - 100 mark but not so much high cut. I normally have a bit of reverb and some delay on leads. I will talk to the engineer when we record to see if he prefers to add the "wet" in the mix of whether he wants me to dial it in. Right at the moment I am enjoying one of the Own Hammer IRs so will probably go with that. I suppose that if I can knock out a sound that sound good through my studio monitors at home, it should be pretty close the the mark at the studio.

Anyhow - fun times.

Back
Top Bottom