Live strat blues - Big-Legged Woman

BTW - to empathize with your crowd problem, 20 years or so ago I used to play a 4-nighter at a club called 'The Zone'. We called it the 'Dead Zone'. It worked kinda like this:

Wed: 3 business men from Ohio. All drunk (yep - 'Free Bird'). We'd stay there after the last set and lament the crowd, do Jaegers, and generally drink 'til 3.

-- crap: Day Job

Thu: 25 people. A few females (10), business people, local fanboys, etc. Drink more; stay later. Urp.

- crap: Day Job

Fri: I want to stay home and watch USA repeats of Miami Vice (original). But, no way... feeling worn down from earlier in the week, I need to go to the gig and impress 800-1200 people. Roof. Exhausted by 2, head home.

Sat: Good thing - last night! Bad thing - pack-out. Another 500-600 folks are out tonight. Still burned out. Close the show closer to 1:30. By the time we get paid, it's 2:30 or later. Paying out the bar tab, the roadie (a.k.a. my son!), the sound company, the agent, and dividing the residual 8 ways (we had a horn section), I typically came out in the red. Fine by me - never did it for the $$, but for the fun.

Sun: another hangover from all of the shots the crowd bought me/us. I realize I started out with more $$ than I ended up _except_ the actual experience was STILL worth it. I loved the ACTUAL playing. I pretty much hated everything else.

Just sayin' - you isn't alone!

Great playing. And great sound.
Mind posting the patch? You run frfr? Sounds full. I'd like to see what you're doing.
I'm a 2 user so some screen shots would be greatly appreciated.

If you look me up on Axe-change the patch is posted there - it'd be the "GCL Super" or something like that I believe. I set it up essentially how I would my 'real' rig, except for where I put the reverb & delay. Generally I run a Tubescreamer in front of a backface amp, with the level and tone cranked, drive all the way down. The ol' SRV ;) I do run FRFR, at this gig used an EV 112p as backline and ran a little into the house P.A. for fill. I really like the EVs, and they didn't cost me a fortune.

The main advice I'd give you is to tweak your patches for live use at as close to the volume you'll use them live as possible. Then tweak a little when you jam with your band, as sometimes the bass will swallow up part of what was a great-sounding tone. Also, it's so subjective - when I have a bad night playing-wise, I find my tone feels thin, there's no sustain, and the strings even feel sharp/un-cooperative. When I'm having a good night, it's like swimming in butter lol. So from night to night your headspace is gonna impact your perception of tone.

If you look me up on Axe-change the patch is posted there - it'd be the "GCL Super" or something like that I believe. I set it up essentially how I would my 'real' rig, except for where I put the reverb & delay. Generally I run a Tubescreamer in front of a backface amp, with the level and tone cranked, drive all the way down. The ol' SRV ;) I do run FRFR, at this gig used an EV 112p as backline and ran a little into the house P.A. for fill. I really like the EVs, and they didn't cost me a fortune.

The main advice I'd give you is to tweak your patches for live use at as close to the volume you'll use them live as possible. Then tweak a little when you jam with your band, as sometimes the bass will swallow up part of what was a great-sounding tone. Also, it's so subjective - when I have a bad night playing-wise, I find my tone feels thin, there's no sustain, and the strings even feel sharp/un-cooperative. When I'm having a good night, it's like swimming in butter lol. So from night to night your headspace is gonna impact your perception of tone.

Great. I'm about halfway there. What IRs are you using? 2 cabs in parallel right?

Great. I'm about halfway there. What IRs are you using? 2 cabs in parallel right?
I'm travelling right now, so don't have access to my Axe FX, but one is Tyler Grund's Jensen E130 IR I'm sure, the other is likely a Marshall 4x12 one from a free pack Clark Kent posted a while back.

Last edited:
Sounds great Cainer. I don't know why I never thought to try a marshall 4x12 for my more strat-y tones. Thank you and phenomenal playing btw.

Sounds great Cainer. I don't know why I never thought to try a marshall 4x12 for my more strat-y tones. Thank you and phenomenal playing btw.
yeah, I seem to always default to Fenders, but there are some super-cool tones pairing a strat with a Marshall 4x12 or similar. Seemed to work really well for some guy back in the sixties...

Hi Cainer, great playin´ with flinky fingers and a good strat-sound. Like your bassmans lines too, together with the drummer they layed you a groovy basement for your blues. (sorry for the bad english)!

Hi Cainer, great playin´ with flinky fingers and a good strat-sound. Like your bassmans lines too, together with the drummer they layed you a groovy basement for your blues. (sorry for the bad english)!
danke schön!

Back
Top Bottom