live & speedy pickin'

Holy crap dude! Any pointers/videos on lessons/technique for chicken pickin'? I keep trying to learn (of course I'll never be that fast)?

Holy crap dude! Any pointers/videos on lessons/technique for chicken pickin'? I keep trying to learn (of course I'll never be that fast)?
cheers man - you'd be surprised once you get the hang of hybrid picking. I keep meaning to put some video stuff up but just don't find the time. I do Skype lessons if you're interested (or in person if you happen to be in Austin ;) )

We were just wrapping up 2.5-ish months of touring so put everything we had left into this one lol
AX8 into house PA + EV 112 Live X

Wow...would have get my fingers double crossed, smoking and cramped within 30 seconds. Where the heck is this? Audience was remarkably concentrated till the end. Any good site to recommend for this hybrid technique ?

Wow...would have get my fingers double crossed, smoking and cramped within 30 seconds. Where the heck is this? Audience was remarkably concentrated till the end. Any good site to recommend for this hybrid technique ?
Once you get the technique down your hand si actually pretty relaxed so you can do it pretty much all day - eventually the skin/nails will give out though lol

Danny Gatton had an instructional video out that covered his approach to it, which is pretty similar to what I'm doing (much in the way that Godzilla is similar to an iguana - Danny was a B-E-A-S-T!). I don't know about courses/sites online that cover it. It borrows from some banjo techniques (forward/backward rolls, etc.). Mostly just using pick and middle & ring fingers, baby finger doesn't get into the action much except when I'm gripping chords.

One thing that's helpful in getting into it is just to take any licks you have that are crossing multiple strings, and start working out how it might be more efficient to pick 'em with a hybrid approach rather than down/up/down picking. kind of leave your pick 'at home' and let your fingers reach out and grab those notes that are a string or two away.

You'll also need to experiment with your fingernail length on the picking hand - mine seem to get shorter and shorter as I progress, but generally you'll need just a little nail there to provide a 'reinforcing edge'. Not that your picking with all nail, but it helps to have just a little.

Hope that's helpful - I keep swearing I'll do a video on it - maybe I finally will! lol

Danny Gatton was enormous, sure. Will see what I can find. There's this Doug Seven also, but don't think he's very much in this hybrid picking thing.
Thanks, like a lot your vids.

Wow thanks, will dig into this asap. Got good news this WE BTW, as I'll be playing starting May accompanying Vanguy Terra. She did backing vocals for Al Jarreau, Kool and the Gang and some french known singers (yes some time ago of course). She absolutely is a wonderful person, still has a great and sensitive voice and I consider myself a lucky guy to have the chance to accompany this lady. Hope it will all work out well for 8-10 gigs this summer.

Back
Top Bottom