Live sound, backline vs monitor vs both

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
I’d been playing forever with a half stack backline so when I switched to the Axe with an FRFR box, I simply replaced my 4x12 with the frfr in backline position. It sounds great like that in the studio because we don’t use back facing monitor wedges like on a live stage. The thing I don’t gel that great with is when I play live I’ll have my frfr in backline shooting forward, and the PA monitor wedge shooting back at me. It never sounds that great to me like they are clashing. It didn’t seem that bad with the 4x12.. maybe the directional aspect is beneficial in that setting?

Anyway just wondering what some of you guys do for setup and if any of you have noticed this. I may eventually go with in ears but not quite there yet.

Yes. If I don’t then when I move to the front of the stage I can’t hear my guitar clearly. Usually for leads where I need to hear precisely for bends etc I prefer to go back to my backline, but I can’t lurk back there the whole time. But.. if I have the front monitor cranked up with my guitar it always sounds phasey and weird.

I use a CLR wedge in front of me, in line with but a few feet left of the nearest stage monitor. I can move between them if I want more of me or more of everyone else.

Yes. If I don’t then when I move to the front of the stage I can’t hear my guitar clearly. Usually for leads where I need to hear precisely for bends etc I prefer to go back to my backline, but I can’t lurk back there the whole time. But.. if I have the front monitor cranked up with my guitar it always sounds phasey and weird.
I’d take the guitar out of the front completely. Or take it out of your monitor at least, and only have it in the area you move to.

I think I’m going to try putting my monitor in front wedge position at practice to see if I can get used to it.

You had your guitar on the front monitor as well when you were running your half-stack (miced) ? If yes then maybe you have phase and/or cancellation issues. I'd start experimenting with polarity and very short delay times on the monitor signal.

You had your guitar on the front monitor as well when you were running your half-stack (miced) ? If yes then maybe you have phase and/or cancellation issues. I'd start experimenting with polarity and very short delay times on the monitor signal.
Hmmm, good thought. I wonder if the monitor mix is getting phase reversed.

Back
Top Bottom