Live Setups with your Axe-Fx III

jjdpro

Inspired
Hi Guys, asking how are you guys dealing with "cable management" in your live ( ax-fx II) gigging setups? With control pedals, Floor controller, rack for the Axe Fx...Cables to and from FRFR or Cabs... It seems that it can get messy.. :)

Axe Fx together with wireless racked inside band's rack for IEM monitoring. Output 2 to IEM mixer, Output 1 through an XLR patchbay so the sound engineer can directly bridge with the FOH mixer. Band's sequencer playing backing orchestral arrangements sends MIDI commands directly to Axe Fx inside the rack for Program/Scene changes. Laptop for Axe-Edit over USB for last minute adjustments.

I walk in the venue with a couple of guitars, IEMs and wireless transmitter. Power on the band's rack and everything ready to go. No cables, no pedals, no dance. Just rock and roll, baby!

Least cables I’ve ever used. I used to run some pedals before the amp and some in the FX loop, now that was a mess. Now just guitar to axe, FC12 with 2 exp pedals, one xlr to my foldback, another xlr to the mixer. Power to Art power rack for axe and powered fb, and we’re done.

Cool, I thought they looked like matrix. I have a FR10 but I haven’t really bonded with the sound.

How do you find stereo goes at gigs? I love running stereo but a lot of people here advise against it due to where people might be standing etc.

most of the places we play don't really do stereo per se, but I like that in the IEMs. :)

The stereo spread is super narrow and I only have it in back of me for stage sound. We are going to in-ears and that will surely change in the very new future. We have already implemented IEMs in practice and yet to do it performing live. Basically, the stage sound is only for the 'feel' and some feedback encouragement.

I have a pedalboard with my mmgt16, 2 expression pedals and a clock timer, and a little breakout box. 1 45’ 7pin xlr is all that’s needed. My wireless and axefx are wired into the patch panel on the back of the rack, and I have a switch to use wireless or cable. I always use panels or boxes on connectors that get use, saves wear on the expensive stuff.

Our church has the inputs and power right up front in recessed boxes in the stage, so I built a self contained board that holds the axe, fc-12, fc-6, some expression pedals, and a few outboard effects all in one, so I just have a power cable, and the two xlrs out for stereo. I love it, although it weighs a ton.

Axe Fx together with wireless racked inside band's rack for IEM monitoring. Output 2 to IEM mixer, Output 1 through an XLR patchbay so the sound engineer can directly bridge with the FOH mixer. Band's sequencer playing backing orchestral arrangements sends MIDI commands directly to Axe Fx inside the rack for Program/Scene changes. Laptop for Axe-Edit over USB for last minute adjustments.

I walk in the venue with a couple of guitars, IEMs and wireless transmitter. Power on the band's rack and everything ready to go. No cables, no pedals, no dance. Just rock and roll, baby!
I run it pretty much the same, with an extra step of connecting a Morningstar MC6 to the Axe Fx in the rack for plugging in two EV2 pedals and just in case something goes wrong with the backing track sending my program changes. Or if the singer misses his cues or babbles on longer than normal.

And rather than using two outputs, we send all our outputs through splitters, with one send going the FOH and one to our in-rack mixer.

Great, clean system that minimizes setup at the gig.

For bar/small room gigs: 1/4 inch cable (25 ft.) from Guitar to front of Ax III; XLR cables from Ax III L and R Out 1 to Y cable to quarter inch jack into stereo input jack of Mission Gemini II; XLR cable from FASLINK out to FC-12; 1 TRS cable from FC-12 Pedal 1 jack to Mission EP-1; 2 TRS cables from FC-12 pedal jacks 2 and 3 to Mission SP-1.

For stage gigs I usually go XLR cables from Ax III L and R Out 1 to FOH and, if there's a spare wedge, I ask the tech to give me vocals, keys and some of my guitar in my main wedge in front of me and only my guitar in the second wedge set up behind or to the side of me. That seems to work pretty well and I hear my guitar much better with less volume on stage. I sometimes use my Gemini II as a stage monitor but coming out of Out 2 L and R.

Guitar to AFX is wireless. Line 6 G-90 is in the 4u rack with the AFX. Two short XLRs from Output 1 (in stereo) to the mixer, which is an XR-18 sitting on the floor next to my rack. Another short XLR from Output 2 to the mixer, just for a sequencer/synth feed to the drummer's IEM for one song, and a 20' XLR to my pedalboard for the FC-6. All expression pedal cables are already plugged in on the pedalboard. Tales me about 2 or 3 minutes to set it all up. My onstage monitor is the powered wedge in front of me, being fed by the mixer.

1 XLR cable to FC
1 AES/EBU XLR output to digital stagebox
1 power cable to case

That‘s it.

2 guitars are wireless input, the receivers are mounted with the AXE-FX III in a 19“/4 units case, occasionally 1 or 2 more guitars (lapsteel, acoustic) directly input to AXE via cables.

Monitoring comes from our FoH Mixer to wedges.

Last edited:
1 cable to FC, cable between guitar and axe, 2 cables from axe outs to cab in's or 1 if going mono, 3 iec cables for power or 2 when going mono.

I have a 3 on the way and have been using a kemper. My live rig won’t change much in regards to how it wires up. I have a 4 space rack that has the kemper (soon to be axe3), a half width power conditioner, IEM wireless rig beside that, my shure GLXD wireless rig in the back, and a patch bay from redco for all my ins and outs. My band is all on IEMs so we roll in, give stereo outs, take stereo ins, run a cable for floor switch, run power, and I’m ready to roll.

Currently I can only use one amp at a time but I plan to run dual amps in the axefx and send those out to different outputs so my soundguys can blend them.

Attachments

• C0051DC7-8231-4389-89B4-1AE97EF3C7F5.jpeg
    C0051DC7-8231-4389-89B4-1AE97EF3C7F5.jpeg
    303.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 2EABD460-442D-46D7-8648-79827ED6879A.jpeg
    2EABD460-442D-46D7-8648-79827ED6879A.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom