Live routing FRFR/FOH

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
I now have two Friedman asm units for live (which are killing it tonally) and plan to run those via on either side of my drummer and then send a line to the House live.

For this set up would I need to run 2 XLR outs to the house for stereo or how do I 1) make sure house gets a stereo signal and 2) Set levels both to the house as well as to my Friedmans (in global -be specific plz)?

Chris I will buy your video and watch this part, however, I have a gig coming up the 15th and my sound guy was asking me about the routing.

Thanks,
Don

I'd say use output 2 for your Friedmans with a stereo DI or 2 direct boxes? Output1 to FOH of course. I'm surprised the friedmans don't have those combo inputs like pretty much every other FR speaker out there. I wouldn't want to need direct boxes...

The Friedmans only have XLR inputs, so you'll have to run the XLR outs from OUT 1 to the Friedmans, as you stated.

As far as FOH, it looks like you have 3 options:

1) Run the Friedman XLR outs to FOH

2) Run 1/4" outs from AX8 OUT 1 to FOH

3) Run 1/4" outs from AX8 OUT 2 to FOH

In the first two cases, you won't have separate control over the levels sent to FOH and your speakers since they'll all be controlled by the OUT 1 knob on the AX8. In the 3rd case you will have separate control using both the OUT 1 and OUT 2 knobs. If FOH can accept 1/4" and the runs aren't too long, you're in good shape. Otherwise, you'll probably need 1/4" to XLR cables or direct boxes to convert the 1/4" to XLR. Of course, if you have 1/4" to XLR cables, you could run those from AX8 OUT 2 to your Friedmans, and then use XLRs from OUT 1 to FOH.

To run stereo, go to SETUP --> I/O and set OUT 1 MODE to STEREO, set OUT 2 MODE to STEREO, and OUT 2 ECHO to OUT 1 (p. 79 of the manual).

Of course, if you have 1/4" to XLR cables, you could run those from AX8 OUT 2 to your Friedmans, and then use XLRs from OUT 1 to FOH.

Quickest/Easiest, and you still get control of your rig and house volumes independently right at your feet. I vote this one!

Reactions: TFC
Agreed. I should have mentioned that that is my preferred option as well.
Yes sir, it's been my method of choice for both the Axe Fx and AX8. Has always worked well, and the sound man does love me never changing his send level.

Back
Top Bottom