Live Looping Rig (Ableton / Axe FX III)

getlostinsound

Inspired
Hey, I've had a couple of questions about how I use Ableton for live looping, so I posted a video. Hopefully this is helpful for someone. I'm still learning too, and my rig is constantly evolving (probably like most of yours!). Feel free to move this if it isn't in the right forum.

Wondering if you tried using the FC to control Ableton. I'm new to Ableton and really scratching my head over this. I'm using the MIDI Map Mode but my results are very inconsistent. Also, what is the model of you Anker hub?

Yes, when I got the Axe III, I began using control switch MIDI commands via my FC-12 for Ableton. Because MIDI commands are only available by using control switches and because there are only 6 control switches available (which I enjoy using for parameter changes in my Axe presets), I decided to use a standalone controller.

It can be done, though. I used Axe-Edit to set what MIDI CC would be sent for each control switch, and then mapped then control switches to FC buttons.

Here is my Anker hub: link

Last edited:
It seems the link is broken.

I was trying to use the MIDI Block to control Ableton. This morning I was finally successful. I had to use MIDI CC with a value of 64 for it to work. A 0 value would not work (makes sense in hindsight). I suppose 127 might work as well, but I don’t want to jinx it!

It seems the link is broken.

I was trying to use the MIDI Block to control Ableton. This morning I was finally successful. I had to use MIDI CC with a value of 64 for it to work. A 0 value would not work (makes sense in hindsight). I suppose 127 might work as well, but I don’t want to jinx it!
Oops, sorry! Fixed the link.

Glad you got it working! I haven’t tried using the MIDI block; just the MIDI commands via control switches.

Thank you, sir!

The MIDI Block works great for such things as launching verse/chorus clips that coincide with changes to your guitar sound (in my case, Axe scene changes).

I built a “looper of doom” with ableton and a Gordius Little Giant. It does this:
  • 3 separate loops for different song sections, including undo option and remap function to select patches/sounds. I can layer as needed for those loops.
  • Up to 4 separate recordable layers for each separate loop, with ability to mute/unmute any of the 4 layers. Includes undo and switch remapping to select patches/sounds
  • Ability to “solo” a couple layers in a loop, AKA instantly “strip down” the loop.
  • Ability to apply and remove effects to the layers.
  • At end of song, conditional logic to remap all switches and return switch LEDs to original starting state and delete all recorded loops so you can start building the next song.
It’s all done with CCs and I think I used some note on/off as well. AFAIK, impossible to do without a Gordius footswitch.

I built a “looper of doom” with ableton and a Gordius Little Giant. It does this:
  • 3 separate loops for different song sections, including undo option and remap function to select patches/sounds. I can layer as needed for those loops.
  • Up to 4 separate recordable layers for each separate loop, with ability to mute/unmute any of the 4 layers. Includes undo and switch remapping to select patches/sounds
  • Ability to “solo” a couple layers in a loop, AKA instantly “strip down” the loop.
  • Ability to apply and remove effects to the layers.
  • At end of song, conditional logic to remap all switches and return switch LEDs to original starting state and delete all recorded loops so you can start building the next song.
It’s all done with CCs and I think I used some note on/off as well. AFAIK, impossible to do without a Gordius footswitch.
Sounds like you could get some serious creativity going with that thing!

You’ve got me curious about this controller. I’ve owned several different midi foot controllers, all with programmable buttons and multiple pages/layers. What is it about that particular controller that is different, or would make it impossible to have this setup with a different controller?

What is it about that particular controller that is different, or would make it impossible to have this setup with a different controller?
You'll have to check it out
http://gordius.be manual: http://gordius.be/LG_usermanual_v3_0_7.pdf

It has conditional logic, lots of midi, a bunch of custom controls, 10-key function (instant random access to any bank, preset, etc.) I'm pretty sure nothing does what it does. Even the Looper of Doom didn't use all its functionality, nor did it make a dent in the memory.
A few images:
Midi message list/capability
47349470931_b1c9a54bbe_w.jpg

Custom on-board commands. "conditional" is the conditional logic function: if/then/else, etc.
39360008461_d1e85fd35b_n.jpg

Each preset can send a stream of different commands. Here's one of my non-looping presets
39359927141_e5e218c487_n.jpg

Below is the footswitch map for the Looper of Doom:
3 banks; grey circles are switches; 8 main switches on each bank with layering and remapping; bank up/down switches; and the switches in left & right top corners have a couple functions. The short vs. long-press feature lets a single switch do different things based on how it's pressed. It was a bit of a brain-melter, but I built and memorized it and it all works. The real brain-melter is the spreadsheet that lists commands and explanations.
20063564962_935994fe4c_c.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff thanks for sharing. Question is that acoustic sound coming from a electric guitar with piezo? If so I want that sound. Sounds awesome!

What's your setup?

Hey, quick question for everyone here concerned with Axe and looping: I have Axe 3 going via USB into Ableton to loop, the signal is nice and hot going into the Axe, but the output going into Ableton is about 10db down... so all the levels in Ableton are a bit low.. any sugestions about why / how this is happening?

Hey, quick question for everyone here concerned with Axe and looping: I have Axe 3 going via USB into Ableton to loop, the signal is nice and hot going into the Axe, but the output going into Ableton is about 10db down... so all the levels in Ableton are a bit low.. any sugestions about why / how this is happening?

I don't have an Axe-Fx III so not 100% sure but is there a USB output level accessible in the Axe's I/O?

I don't have an Axe-Fx III so not 100% sure but is there a USB output level accessible in the Axe's I/O?
Yep, but it’s USB input level (not output), since were talking about the USB level coming back IN from the Axe FX. From the front panel go to Setup > I/O > page over to USB/AES > adjust USB input level, depending on what USB channels you’re using from Ableton. Using USB output 1/2 in Ableton (input 1/2 on the Axe), I found that looping with USB input at 0.0dB, it gave me the same level as the live guitar.

Hey, I've had a couple of questions about how I use Ableton for live looping, so I posted a video. Hopefully this is helpful for someone. I'm still learning too, and my rig is constantly evolving (probably like most of yours!). Feel free to move this if it isn't in the right forum.

Thanks for all the help with my setup a few months back. I got it going and then all of the sudden the midi on Ableton wasn’t responding to incoming messages and I left it until seeing this post. I’m using the GT16 for midi control on the AxeIII and haven’t switched up to the FC12 as of yet. Haven’t decided wether the fc is that much easier to use than what I already own.

Back
Top Bottom