Live Gear Suggestions

acgorospe17

So, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger, but I wanted to get some opinions/suggestions before I empty my pockets... and I do mean empty. I've been doing a lot of reading on these forums and other online resources trying to gauge the best way to dive into the AFX community. I guess I just need some general advice on what people are pairing the AFX with for live use and opinions on different gear options. So I'll break it down in sections:

1) I'm confident I'm going to buy in addition to the AFX, the MFC as well as the EV1 and the Mission EP1. Does anyone have suggestions for floorboards and dual TRS patch cables?

2) This is where I'm not so confident. I'm leaning towards just getting a 4U case and buying the Matrix GT1000FX-1U + NL212 Package and then using the fourth slot for a Furman M8x2, but I'm wondering if this is the best option. Is it worth getting a power conditioner and going with the combo deal (which is ultimately the cheapest), or should I drop the conditioner and go GT1000FX-2U (not saving on the combo). I'm also unsure entirely on if this is the best power amp/cab combo to go. I know Mission's Gemini is also an option.. and what about the FR212 or any other FRFR cabs? Should I drop the whole power amp/cab idea and just go the PA route? There's just so many options, I could use some guidance from people's experience with the different capabilities the AFX offers.

I know this is kinda all over the place but I'm pretty much noob as I don't even own the AFX yet and any help would be much appreciated.

Depends on where you typically play and if they have a good PA/monitor system, in addition to what your willing/able to transport to gigs etc

If your regular venue has a good house system and wedges I'd look at things differently than if your need your monitor/backline to also serve as the house sound.

I personally think powered monitors make more sense than using a power amp and unpowered cab/wedge

I also don't think you need to get everything all at once. Just get the Axe and maybe see if someone around you can let you try a powered monitor like a CLR, and try going via a normal cab with cab modeling bypassed etc. Its a lot of money your talking about so I'd suggest trying some options out and letting your ears guide you

As for TRS cables, really don't think it matters. They aren't passing audio or anything. I use some cheap, but seemingly good quality Monoprice which were a few bucks each

I don't think a floorboard makes much sense with just 2 EXP pedals, just set them on the floor/stage next to the MFC. Makes transport a bit easier as you can throw the MFC into a big laptop bag. The EV1 in particular isn't going to move around, its pretty heavy

Finally, I don't think a "power conditioner" hurts. You can get them for about $45 when MF has a sale. Maybe isn't doing a ton other than giving some handy rack mounted outlets, but that alone is worth it, and if it helps maybe protect the gear from a surge, even better. I have my Axe, my wireless, and my powered monitors all hooked up to my Furman. Makes things simple having just one power switch, and works a lot better than duct taping a power strip inside a rack case

For pedal board I recommend PedalTrain. They come in several sizes. I have the Grande for my MFC and 3 Mission Pedals with room leftover for expansion (another exp pedal and maybe some switches in the future). For TRS, MIDI and Humbuster cables, I recommend Best-Tronics Pro Audio (BTPA) Inc. They make them to order in the length and colors you want so that you have a nice clean board. Also the Grande came in a kick-serious-ass road case as well.

It would help if you laid out your intended use... Loud live? Type of music? Mainly home or recording or...?

In any case, PedalTrain makes a pedal board that fits an MFC and two Mission pedals quite nicely. It was the middle size one, but they've just revamped their lineup so not sure of the model now.

I use basic Hosa TRS cables to connect the MFC and pedals since they don't deal with audio, and pretty much are never plugged/unplugged. Haven't failed me yet and cheap for a 6-pack so you have spares if something does go south.

As for sound, if going FRFR the Atomic CLR is the odds-on favorite around here if you have the $$. Super versatile as well. I use mine for playing out live as well as studio monitoring and as a PA for jamming (drums, keys, vocals, guitars -- all going direct through the CLR.)

For amp/cab, the Matrix is probably the favorite for solid-state. The tube amp afficionados use Mesa, VHT/Fryette or others. No clear favorite there, as far as I can tell. As for cabs and the speakers in them, there are as many opinions as there are people who play through them...

My opinion, your mileage may vary, etc.

TT

I think we need more info to give you the best advice.how loud do you need to be on stage? Do you use IEM? Like it was said above do the places you play have a decent PA ? All this stuff really comes into play.

For example my band uses IEM, so my stage volume isn't very loud so a power amp going into a cab is overkill for me. I use a Ev ZLX powered PA speaker as a monitor. It's not the best out there but I get a pretty acurate sense of what my guitar sounds like going through a PA. There are plenty of options out there we just need to know how your planing to use your rig to help you out.

Thank you all for the very quick and informative responses.

My apologies for the vagueness for intended use. I'm playing most rock/metal at the home/studio and smaller gig level volumes. I guess I threw out the consideration of PA as an option for practices instead of lugging around gear to and from, but it sounds like you can do the same with the CLR. As for the CLR, I guess I'm just a little unclear of what I'm getting myself into with going the FRFR route. How would getting a passive CLR differ from the Matrix power amp/cab combo? I'm assuming you meant you use an active one, but just want to clear up what the difference would be. I'm currently under the impression that both would be using cab sims. This route is kinda what I think I was trying to aim for.. Money isn't too much of a concern as the AFX+MFC is quite a chunk of change as it is, though I should probably keep somewhat of a budget in mind (but who wants to do that when buying new toys :lol)

Thanks for the PedalTrain and TRS brand suggestions. Exactly what I was looking for there.

Back
Top Bottom