Live delay level

kevrock

Experienced
So i use my delays in mono. and parallel live what do you guys like you mix level set at at home i use around 20 something but live i find i can't hear it. so I'm trying 30 now this id for higher gain solos any thought? thanks

I like the ducked delays. They don't get in your way. I make them fairly loud. Around 26% mix.

With delays in parallel, you want the Mix at 100% - no dry. Use Input Gain or Level to adjust the volume of the repeats.

I run most of my delays in series, before the amp block, and tweaked to sound like various delay pedals. I also use ducking unless it's a heavy delay part (U2ish). Mix will be anywhere from 10-25%.

Depends on how the delay is EQ'd too. Echos that have a more cutting tone don't need as much level to be heard. Really warm echo sounds like the analog modes can sometimes get lost in the mix easier. Without a defined attack, it can sometimes come across more like low rumble under the dry guitar. Pushing up the low cut frequency a bit can help to remove some background mud in a busy sounding delay and help it cut through more without being overpowering. The EQ is applied to the wet signal on each repeating pass so the gain addition or reduction will multiply on each repeat. The horizontal line on the EQ graph is unity gain. If you push the curve above that line, echos will actually gain signal at those frequencies on each repeat. Ducking helps a lot too.

For the exact reasons you mention, I have 2 separate rotary controllers on my pedalboard tied to the level parameters of the 2 delays I used in my patches. I can easily tweak them while at a venue to get just what I need (or feel) from gig to gig. Has worked out really well for me! You can see them in this pic - the two controllers marked D1 and D2.

15073405_1173202446092214_5688372509368525467_n_zps2enmg7b2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom